MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Dubscape Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:52 pm
I'm feeling really stupid but I can't figure out how to simply delete tracks in standalone mode. I dont just want to rease note data etc from the track, but deleting the whole track in order to clean up the clutter and save memory, only using the tracks I actually need. But I can't find out how to do this.

There must be a simple way to just delete unnecessary tracks in standalone mode, preferrably without stopping playback.

How do I do it? Please help!
By Dubscape Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:51 am
Thank you for a quick answer!

Yes I know I can clear tracks easily but is there no way to delete the track altogether? After the creative phase I usually have several tracks that I don't need and I'd like to delete them altogether in order to get a better overview of the song, clearing away all the unused tracks I don't need.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:48 am
No, you cannot delete tracks, just clear/empty them. So if you have 10 tracks and didn't need track 6, you can clear it but it will have to stay there 'unused' between track 5 and track 7. Theres currently no easy way to rearrange tracks either, however you can copy other tracks over it though, for example, you could copy track 10 to track 6 and then delete track 10.
By DeaDeus Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:44 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:No, you cannot delete tracks,..... ..... and then delete track 10.

:-)
By Dubscape Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:49 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:No, you cannot delete tracks, just clear/empty them. So if you have 10 tracks and didn't need track 6, you can clear it but it will have to stay there 'unused' between track 5 and track 7. Theres currently no easy way to rearrange tracks either, however you can copy other tracks over it though, for example, you could copy track 10 to track 6 and then delete track 10.

Well Thank you that made it clear to me!

But why, oh why so difficult to delete a track? God knows it's easy enough to create one or two more tracks than you need in the spur of the creative moment! I always need to prune and discard some ideas that did'd work so well. So why make this so difficult?

Akai, please :worthy: ?
By Dubscape Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:03 pm
Now I wonder - can I delete the extra tracks if I hook my mpc up with my macbook pro? I'd rather not since I only use the mpc standalone - that's the whole point to me - but if it's the easiest way to delete the tracks, so be it.

So, is it possible to delete tracks in controller mode with a macbook, and how to do it?
By 40Beatz Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:04 pm
I think im just now understanding what you're saying. Do you mean...Deleting the Tracks from the Folder? If so...best way to do it is...Controller Mode, open Folder with your PC/Mac and Delete the Unwanted Tracks from there.
The Current Standalone Browser doesn't allow you Edit Folder Information. Just Load.
By jamos Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:49 am
Thanks for sharing this hack. I did notice that when the cleaned up project loads the MPC spits out a message saying there are missing files, but then it recovers fine.
By Monotremata Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:22 am
jamos wrote:Thanks for sharing this hack. I did notice that when the cleaned up project loads the MPC spits out a message saying there are missing files, but then it recovers fine.

Its not a 'hack' its just deleting the program files. It doesn't delete the track at all, and any note/automation/etc data is still there.
By TheDoctor Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:55 pm
Dubscape wrote:
But why, oh why so difficult to delete a track? God knows it's easy enough to create one or two more tracks than you need in the spur of the creative moment! I always need to prune and discard some ideas that did'd work so well. So why make this so difficult?

Akai, please :worthy: ?

What's the problem if you have an unused track? It doesn't take cpu or anything so why bother? As the other guy said you can simply copy a track over it.
I personally rarely start with many tracks because I use the first 4 banks for my samples. So instead of delete a track I can simply delete the sample on the pad or hold erase and delete multiple parts on the fly. If then I like what I'm doing I start to organise in audio tracks,submix or bounce to a new program.
I prefer this method because I can easily scroll the different banks and hit a pad to select what I need without touching the screen, often my main screen is the program edit. I don't even need the mixer tab because I can simply change the Qlink to adjust the volume,pan etc. With this workflow I rarely touch the screen and I'm gaining muscle memory. I didn't even know you couldn't delete track to be honest :lol: it's weird that we can't delete track because on Force is possible.
By Elektrobolt Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:38 am
I think this is more proof that something is being seriously neglected in Akai-land. I am referring to the function of editing. There are SO many things that cannot be edited properly, track order, effects order, program order, tempo, time signature, pad mappings, and so on. You can almost always insert and almost always delete (clearing tracks, I mean WTF), but far too many things cannot be edited/changed/moved once in place. For this, Akai (and some users) relentlessly refer to cumbersome workarounds.

What is the point of buying a tool that has to be used with some quirky workaround for many of its intended functions? This one was made to make music (not really to download samples or manage expansion packs, THOSE are features IMO). On the MPC X (in my case) this nearly-no-editing behavior appears to be made by habit, rather than by exception. In a centerpiece I expect to be able to alter and experiment with what I have made. Tweak rather than "manage".

I have to say, of course, that some of the editing capabilities on the other hand is rather exceptional, but those are exceptions, e.g. automation and the step sequencer.