MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Strummer Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:24 pm
Soon purchasing an MPC Live.

I am seeking advice regarding how well it can produce the "Dub Techno" style?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards

Strummer
Bymember04959388 Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:57 am
I don't make technodub but techno and dub are a strong inspiration for me.
If for Dub you mean a way to use effects, then Mpc Live can be a very good option.
You can play with effects quite easily, ooen and close them with assigned qlinks, tweaking all parameters you need to tweak.
The onboard effects are good, Akai delays are good, and then you have Air fx bundle with a very good filter gate. Also Akai filters sound really convincing.
You can use Mpc like a dubmaster uses its mixer, mute and unmute samples,
By robleighton22 Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:02 am
Yeah the filter gate plugin and tape delay applied to simple chord, can get u in the right territory for that style. That plus samples....No reason wht the Live wouldnt be able to nail that sort of sound.
By rtofvnt Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:03 pm
Go for it, but You'll need some external at least one synth. I'm about to sell up my Korg Krome, as its just gathering dust and will be buying some VA with effects on board.
When you buy Live, make sure you update to version with Air FX - they did a great job with this, as original effects were ...s&*it. Specially reverbs
Bymember04959388 Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:16 pm
rtofvnt wrote:Go for it, but You'll need some external at least one synth. I'm about to sell up my Korg Krome, as its just gathering dust and will be buying some VA with effects on board.
When you buy Live, make sure you update to version with Air FX - they did a great job with this, as original effects were ...s&*it. Specially reverbs

I don't agree all Akai fx were bad.
I still prefer Akai delays, distortions and filters to Air ones and the more I use them, the more I like their sound.
Yes, Akai Reverb was horrible and Air one is a good standard stereo reverb, nothing so special but it works fine when chained to some other modulation.
By Strummer Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:18 pm
Thank you all for the replies.

I should have posted a better question.

Yes, I was interested in the effects processing of the MPC Live.

If the effects possessed the capability to properly support "Dub" style techno.

Also assuming the outputs can assign the dry and effects send separately.

Thank you
Bymember04959388 Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:26 pm
Strummer wrote:Thank you all for the replies.

I should have posted a better question.

Yes, I was interested in the effects processing of the MPC Live.

If the effects possessed the capability to properly support "Dub" style techno.

Also assuming the outputs can assign the dry and effects send separately.

Thank you

Yeah you can route the dry to master output and the effects to 3/4 output and then you also have a 5/6 output for anything else.
Delays are good, akai ones are more analog style with oscillation, Air one is more digital but at 100wet it freezes the delay.
You have a very good filter gate, it can be used as a trance or techno gate.
Air reverb can be brought to infinite which is good for dub.
And then the overall output sound is very good, if you need deep dub bass you can obtain it.
You also have a bass synth and some.electric piano synth to make chords and progressions.
And you can easily use track and pad mutes in dubmastet style
By SPL10 Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:36 pm
As someone who makes dub techno and has an X there are a couple of things to be aware of :

1/ the onboard fx are cool but don’t really stand up against decent hardware or VSTs- you’ll need a lot more processing power if you want to make something of release quality . In particular the delays don’t have the depth of a studio quality delay and that’s probably the most important effect in this genre

2/ the sampler is great but for that classic dub filter sound you will find limitations in the modulation options ... filters can only open up for example , no free running LFO etc . As much as I love the machine this is it’s biggest drawback - the sampler is pretty basic

But having said that with the right samples and ideas anything so possible!
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:13 am
I remember people using TR-909, Juno 60, Basic Phrase Sampler, Ensoniq DP/4 and some guitar pedals. If one masters their craft, the MPC X and it's effects is more than enough machine. Considering the minimalist nature of Dub Techno, it may too much. :lol:
Bymember04959388 Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:30 am
SPL10 wrote:As someone who makes dub techno and has an X there are a couple of things to be aware of :

1/ the onboard fx are cool but don’t really stand up against decent hardware or VSTs- you’ll need a lot more processing power if you want to make something of release quality . In particular the delays don’t have the depth of a studio quality delay and that’s probably the most important effect in this genre

2/ the sampler is great but for that classic dub filter sound you will find limitations in the modulation options ... filters can only open up for example , no free running LFO etc . As much as I love the machine this is it’s biggest drawback - the sampler is pretty basic

But having said that with the right samples and ideas anything so possible!

I don't agree about delays, I think the analog and tape delay are really good, I actually sold a Timeline and a DD500 when I realized how good they can be.
Yeah it's true the lfo modulations are a bit limited but you can live with it, they are basic but not bad.
By Monotremata Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:20 am
If anything you do has the word 'dub' in it, the Akai Tape Delay is your best friend. Its easy to feedback that sucker too! Pretty low CPU, Ill grab that one first now and if it really isn't working for me, then Ill grab the Echoboy or Overloud Echorec. But the Akai one is rocking it lately. And yep, its got wet/dry like most of their effects do as an insert, or you can always bus it and do it the dub way on its own channel. The sampler does kinda suck, considering what Akai has come up with in the past, but it works. You just have to do a little prep work with your samples if you want a lot of motion in them. The sampler aint delivering much modulation at all. I think my SH-101 is more interesting. But hey, its an MPC, loaded with pretty rad stock effects, and now you can straight up use audio without the sampler too. Out of the box you could do a pretty damn good anything show with it if you got the skills. Im knocking out some heavily tripped out old illbient dark hop stuff with the MPC Software and haven't even needed to use Logic with it yet.
Bymember04959388 Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:02 pm
Monotremata wrote:If anything you do has the word 'dub' in it, the Akai Tape Delay is your best friend. Its easy to feedback that sucker too! Pretty low CPU, Ill grab that one first now and if it really isn't working for me, then Ill grab the Echoboy or Overloud Echorec. But the Akai one is rocking it lately. And yep, its got wet/dry like most of their effects do as an insert, or you can always bus it and do it the dub way on its own channel. The sampler does kinda suck, considering what Akai has come up with in the past, but it works. You just have to do a little prep work with your samples if you want a lot of motion in them. The sampler aint delivering much modulation at all. I think my SH-101 is more interesting. But hey, its an MPC, loaded with pretty rad stock effects, and now you can straight up use audio without the sampler too. Out of the box you could do a pretty damn good anything show with it if you got the skills. Im knocking out some heavily tripped out old illbient dark hop stuff with the MPC Software and haven't even needed to use Logic with it yet.

Yeah Akai Tape delay is really nice.
I guess it comes from Akai headrush pedal but I am not sure.
Anyway its very useable and good for dub style delays. Also analog one.
If you chain it with Akai filters or autofilter and/or with a bit or reverb, you get to space delays.
So yeah, Akai delays and filters and distortions are top quality.
For the other fx, you have a complete Air bundle, the same that were inside pro tools.
Check here:

https://www.airmusictech.com/product/cr ... tion-plus#