MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:29 am
For those interested in modding their MPC X. Black Lion Audio is doing a mod. Below is a descriptions of what they are offering. If i you look at the picture, is seems like they added more to the chassis, however there are no frontal images of it. However it could be just a sitting on top of something.

We are offering the following modification for the MPC X: XB Mod

Analog

– New high-grade op-amps on the line inputs, mic inputs, line outputs, main outputs, and headphone outputs (this improves INST 1, INST 2, and the phono/line RCA inputs as well)
– New, high-grade signal path capacitors on the line inputs, mic inputs, line outputs, main outputs, and headphone outputs (this improves INST 1, INST 2, and the phono/line RCA inputs as well)
– Upgraded global and local power decoupling on analog stage power rails
– Improving the performance of the analog stage circuits makes a drastic difference for tracking and mixing (expect amazing micro-dynamics and space)!

Digital
– New internal, ultra-low-jitter, XB word clock with proprietary implementation
– Proprietary decoupling on all A/D and D/A converters using methods found in our Signature, FM, and XB modifications
– Our approach to converter decoupling reduces noise generated during the conversion process, leaving you with crisp, clear audio!

By QuickStrike Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:58 am
Oh my great mother of God..... All we need now is JJ to come aboard and this will be the greatest MPC ever!!!!!

The crazy thing is a lot of people feel that the sound of this unit is prestige already so how can they improve what's great.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:35 am
QuickStrike wrote:Oh my great mother of God..... All we need now is JJ to come aboard and this will be the greatest MPC ever!!!!!

The crazy thing is a lot of people feel that the sound of this unit is prestige already so how can they improve what's great.

I'm not sure. Perhaps they're lowering the noise floor. JJ OS or some serious OS updates. Akai OS is not that far off, they need to fix the simple bugs, add small missing features, and rework the interface. I get people want the MPC live/X to do this and that. But how many of those people, are actually making consistent music. As far as the mod I would need to test it before I do it. But it's a good sign, that these mods are popping up.
By Bezo Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:40 pm
I had my Digi 002 Rack modded by them back in the day. They did a good job. I'd still be using it if the connections weren't outdated.

I can see this for folks that do near everything from the X, but this wouldn't be a consideration for me. And I'm on a Live any way.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:24 pm
Bezo wrote:I had my Digi 002 Rack modded by them back in the day. They did a good job. I'd still be using it if the connections weren't outdated.

I can see this for folks that do near everything from the X, but this wouldn't be a consideration for me. And I'm on a Live any way.

BLA 002 mods, really helped them out. If you're using windows, Fire-wire still works with Window 10. You have to get the legacy firewire drivers. The prices on the MPC X is really dropping, next year you can buy for $1000.
By Bezo Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:49 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Bezo wrote:I had my Digi 002 Rack modded by them back in the day. They did a good job. I'd still be using it if the connections weren't outdated.

BLA 002 mods, really helped them out. If you're using windows, Fire-wire still works with Window 10. You have to get the legacy firewire drivers. The prices on the MPC X is really dropping, next year you can buy for $1000.
I'm on a 2017 Macbook Pro. I would've needed an adapter among other things. I handed it off to my brother who had an slightly older Macbook Pro with a FW 800 input. We downloaded the latest drivers but could only get the 002 to do just enough to frustrate us.

A shame not to be able to use it, but I got 10+ years out of it. My brother is still sitting on it in case we want to ever try to extract materials.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:17 pm
Bezo wrote:I'm on a 2017 Macbook Pro. I would've needed an adapter among other things. I handed it off to my brother who had an slightly older Macbook Pro with a FW 800 input. We downloaded the latest drivers but could only get the 002 to do just enough to frustrate us.

A shame not to be able to use it, but I got 10+ years out of it. My brother is still sitting on it in case we want to ever try to extract materials.

I feel you! That's the curse of computer connected gear. It's also the main reason why, analog gear holds it value. This is what computer and software companies need to understand. All computer connected gear should have to be class compliant, so that it continues to work.
By 40Beatz Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:24 pm
Then they wont make money off of New Gear that comes out. Its not economical for them to have Software/Hardware last forever. Obsoleteness means more Revenue for the New Thing!
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:25 pm
40Beatz wrote:Then they wont make money off of New Gear that comes out. Its not economical for them to have Software/Hardware last forever. Obsoleteness means more Revenue for the New Thing!

We have I/O standards, MIDI standards, Power standards. We now need computer ports, drivers, and software standards for musical instruments. As far as money from new gear, they would actually make more money.

Take guitarist as an example. They buy new guitars all the time, even though they own 20 perfectly fine axes. :nod: Now imagine if those guitars did not have a standard plugs and strings or they stopped working after an software update.
By Guilleonline Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:53 am
This is huge! And I do use the inputs almost daily for sound design. Heck, the ability to record audio directly into the machine is what had me sold on the X but it currently has its sonic limitations, so to say I'm excited about this is an understatement.

Now the bottom panel... I know it made it to the cropped pic but does it really seem like it would be a part of the machine? I don't think so. The highlights of what's modded (analog) are all internal. It's what they do to most mods. I mean I could be wrong here, but I just don't see this being part of the machine. Then again... why on earth would they leave that in the image??,? In either case...it has my attention.
By QuickStrike Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:04 am
Guilleonline wrote:This is huge! And I do use the inputs almost daily for sound design. Heck, the ability to record audio directly into the machine is what had me sold on the X but it currently has its sonic limitations, so to say I'm excited about this is an understatement.

Now the bottom panel... I know it made it to the cropped pic but does it really seem like it would be a part of the machine? I don't think so. The highlights of what's modded (analog) are all internal. It's what they do to most mods. I mean I could be wrong here, but I just don't see this being part of the machine. Then again... why on earth would they leave that in the image??,? In either case...it has my attention.

It looks just like a nodded digi 002 rack. It must be Just sitting on top of a spare modded rack unit