MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Bezo Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:44 pm
This is in the Live in case it matters.

Despite confirming the drive was formatted, I've reformatted it to see if that would help. Nope!

I can access it on my Mac when connected in Controller Mode. I'm finally getting around to transferring some samples onto it. And I remember checking and being able to access it in Stand Alone Mode when I originally formatted it a while back. I imagine the drive & connection is ok considering my Mac recognizes it.

Maybe nothing as I'm just now attempting to use the drive and work in Stand Alone and don't know what this folder does/means, but the little folder to the far right, under the search box is crossed out when I 1st go to the Browser page. Tapping it seems to "activate" it, removing the cross out.

I didn't think of it until it was suggested on the Akai Community site, but I'm going to try a hardware reset tonight. I've also tried accessing the SSD with the power & USB disconnected. No go. Aside from these, any suggestions?
By Lampdog Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:02 am
Fat32 maybe.

You previously formatted to exfat and it worked? Do you remember the old format that worked? Have you upgraded anything since then?

Something somewhere has changed since it previously worked.
By peelnpuff Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:28 am
Same her,
Crucial HD
ExFat formated on PC
MPC X doesn’t recognize the HD in standalone
When in controlllermode the pc can see the hd and I can transfer files to it but it throws out error messages,....,
Format the hd over controlller mode is not finishing, producing error messages
The fun thing is sometimes I can see the hd i. Standalone mode
Can’t reproduce that ..

I will go buying a Samsung HD today
As I read that the crucial are not working right with the X :Sigh:

Will report back!
By Bezo Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:01 pm
Lampdog wrote:Fat32 maybe.

You previously formatted to exfat and it worked? Do you remember the old format that worked? Have you upgraded anything since then?

Something somewhere has changed since it previously worked.
I can try Fat32. I thought I read ExFat was best for the MPC.

ExFat worked, worked = was recognized and accessible. I only installed & formatted it. I hadn't attempted to actually use it until now.

ExFat is the only one I tried so far. I've upgraded a few things: I'm now on MPC 2.5, I think I was on 2.2 or 2.3 when I first formatted it. I've copied some multi-instruments to it, which is when I discovered I couldn't access it after switching over to Stand Alone Mode. I deleted them & reformatted. And I'm also on a new iMac & OS since if that matters.

My SSD is a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO.
By Bezo Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:21 pm
EnochLight wrote:I've got a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD. Formatted in Windows in ExFAT as suggested by Akai. Plugged it into my Live, powered up my Live, and it shows right up.
Exactly how it went for me back when I initially formatted it, subbing Mac for Windows.

And my Live hasn't moved off my desk since, so there shouldn't be any physical problems. The SSD showing up on my CPU when in Controller Mode should indicate the drive & connection are OK. It has to be the Live, firmware or Linux issue on my end.

Typing this reminds me I forgot to do the reset last night.

Oh yeah, @Lampdog, after updating the soft/firmware to 2.5 when it was released, I did do a reset then. I can't say if the Live was recognizing the SSD at that time as I didn't check.
By Lampdog Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:23 pm
Sometimes instead of directly finding the problem you can retrace your steps back from the time when something used to work to present day and it will lead you to your solution/fix/workaround.
By Bezo Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:00 pm
Lampdog wrote:Sometimes instead of directly finding the problem you can retrace your steps back from the time when something used to work to present day and it will lead you to your solution/fix/workaround.
Unfortunately that would require undoing 1 or 2 firmware updates. I'm going to stay away from that until Akai support helps me trouble shoot.
By EnochLight Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:01 pm
Bezo wrote:
EnochLight wrote:I've got a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD. Formatted in Windows in ExFAT as suggested by Akai. Plugged it into my Live, powered up my Live, and it shows right up.
Exactly how it went for me back when I initially formatted it, subbing Mac for Windows.

And my Live hasn't moved off my desk since, so there shouldn't be any physical problems. The SSD showing up on my CPU when in Controller Mode should indicate the drive & connection are OK. It has to be the Live, firmware or Linux issue on my end.

Typing this reminds me I forgot to do the reset last night.

Oh yeah, @Lampdog, after updating the soft/firmware to 2.5 when it was released, I did do a reset then. I can't say if the Live was recognizing the SSD at that time as I didn't check.

Wait - Linux isse? You're on a Mac, though - right? On Linux, ExFat may require additional software to work properly. But your issue - if I'm understanding you correctly - is that it is accessible inside of your MPC Live while connected to your Mac in controller mode, but when you eject the SSD on Mac and go into Standalone mode, it is not accessible from your MPC Live.

Correct?
By Bezo Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:28 pm
EnochLight wrote:Wait - Linux isse? You're on a Mac, though - right? On Linux, ExFat may require additional software to work properly. But your issue - if I'm understanding you correctly - is that it is accessible inside of your MPC Live while connected to your Mac in controller mode, but when you eject the SSD on Mac and go into Standalone mode, it is not accessible from your MPC Live.

Correct?
I thought the MPC's OS was Linux. I'm on a Mac running Mojave.

It's accessible on my Mac when connected in Controller Mode, and yes, when I eject it from the Mac and go into Stand Alone, it's not accessible on the Live. I have never checked to see if it's accessible on the Live while in Controller Mode, but I will.
By Monotremata Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:48 pm
Bezo wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Wait - Linux isse? You're on a Mac, though - right? On Linux, ExFat may require additional software to work properly. But your issue - if I'm understanding you correctly - is that it is accessible inside of your MPC Live while connected to your Mac in controller mode, but when you eject the SSD on Mac and go into Standalone mode, it is not accessible from your MPC Live.

Correct?

It's accessible on my Mac when connected in Controller Mode, and yes, when I eject it from the Mac and go into Stand Alone, it's not accessible on the Live. I have never checked to see if it's accessible on the Live while in Controller Mode, but I will.

Yeah its running some stripped down Linux inside there. Im guessing that's why no VST support on that end, either that or it just doesn't have the CPU to do that and the MPC stuff.

Does the drive HAVE to be exFat? It seems like that's what the support people are always telling everyone to do but I thought it read Mac or Windows formatted drives too?
By EnochLight Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:51 pm
Bezo wrote:

Correct?

When you're in Controller Mode on your Live, there is no way to check - from the Live - as the TUI is locked out for desktop use. Anyway, since you can access it via your Mac in Controller Mode, clone the drive and/or backup all of the data that's on it. Then wipe it and reformat it in exFat again from your Mac. Then eject it and switch back to standalone and see if you can browse to it then.

If you can't, then there's an issue with your Live most certainly. Hopefully a factory reset can clear things up, but that can be a hassle in itself. Have you reached out to Akai support?
By Bezo Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:44 pm
Monotremata wrote:Yeah its running some stripped down Linux inside there. Im guessing that's why no VST support on that end, either that or it just doesn't have the CPU to do that and the MPC stuff.

Does the drive HAVE to be exFat? It seems like that's what the support people are always telling everyone to do but I thought it read Mac or Windows formatted drives too?
No, I'm OK with whatever works. I just tried FAT32 with no success. I'll go through all the options while I wait for Akai.

EnochLight wrote:When you're in Controller Mode on your Live, there is no way to check - from the Live - as the TUI is locked out for desktop use. Anyway, since you can access it via your Mac in Controller Mode, clone the drive and/or backup all of the data that's on it. Then wipe it and reformat it in exFat again from your Mac. Then eject it and switch back to standalone and see if you can browse to it then.

If you can't, then there's an issue with your Live most certainly. Hopefully a factory reset can clear things up, but that can be a hassle in itself. Have you reached out to Akai support?
I didn't think so. I just tried, and yeah.

I have everything in a folder on the Mac ready to copy back over. I finally got around to gathering all my samples from various places. I reformatted a few times already, ExFAT a couple of times prior, FAT32 just now. No success. I'm going to try the other formats while I wait. And I tried a reset prior to the last reformat, no go.

I have a ticket in, waiting on that. I had a call in and was waiting on that. I called back tonight and when someone finally answered to take my info because they're "receiving higher than normal call volume", I let them know I provided that info 2 days ago and hadn't heard back. I got some preliminary help, basically what I'd already done. They promised to get back to me after some research. I'll give it another day and start pressing for a repair/replacement.

Drive has just been in there resting all this time as I've been in Controller Mode using VIs exclusively since installing the SSD a while back. I finally get everything prepped to take the live on the road for an upcoming trip and this happens.
By Photon Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:45 pm
Hey Bezo, i have exactly the same problem. I also have the Samsung 860 Evo (new) and win 10. The first problem was that Windows did not allow formatting in exFAT but only Ntfs. Luckily I had a partition program here that allowed me to format it in exFAT. Now I also have the problem that the hard drive appears in the controller mode in Windows, but not in the standalone mode. So I'm very curious what the support tells you. But at least it's not the hardware, that's for sure. Nice day :-D