MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Petervander Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:43 pm
Hey guys,
This has probably already occurred before, but I couldn’t find any help in google nor in this forum. My father bought himself recently a mpc X and asked me if I could install everything for hin including a few expansion packs. So before he buys anything we decided to try to install a free expansion pack as test. After countless tries it didn’t work for some reason, even though all guides say just drag and drop it into the software, unfortunately it didn’t worked for me. Idk if this because I use Windows instead of MacOS, but it became pretty frustrating fast. Im attaching 2 Photos to the post, 1 is what the guide says and 1 is it looks for me. Im not super good with computers so treat me like a 12 year old and give me tips, how to solve this issue :). I appreciate every answer!

The guide - https://prnt.sc/oevbot
How it looked for me - https://prnt.sc/oevb2u
By Oswald Goodfunk Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:19 pm
Yeah, just open the folder in windows where the xpn file is and drag+drop it into the MPC Beats window. You can then export the expansion to use the sounds in another DAW. In the MPC Beats window, click the 3 horizontal bars (hamburger) at the top-left of the window, select Tools, then select Expansion Manager. The Expansions window will open up and at the bottom-right click Export. Under the Drive option, switch it from [OS] [read only] to [new volume]. Then select the expansion pack you want to export and click the Export button.
Then the exported expansion folder will be located in C:\Program Data\Akai\MPC Beats\Expansions.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:19 am
The problem was that the OP had not extracted the XPN file from the downloaded zip archive, he'd only opened a temporary compressed folder. As far as the MPC Software is concerned, the XPN file doesn't exist until it's actually extracted to a location on your computer, until that point it's just a file inside a zip archive and hence not accessible.