MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Yorgos Arabatzis Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:40 am
Even with a dynamic Mic in a Live gig situation you definitely need a preamp or else the audio feedback is unbearable.Been there done that..
CharlesRandolph wrote:If you're using a dynamic microphone, you do not need a mic pre. Just plug it directly into the 1/4 inputs and adjust the gain knob.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:50 am
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:Even with a dynamic Mic in a Live gig situation you definitely need a preamp or else the audio feedback is unbearable.Been there done that..

Let the F.O.H handle that. They should have a feedback eliminator patched. Also, that should be handled during sound check. :nod: I don't think the OP, is talking about using the MPC LIVE, during a Live Performance. If that's the case. there are much better options.

Another option for recording vocal into the MPC LIVE is the Roland VT-4.

MIC IN jack (rear): Combo type (XLR, 1/4-inch TRS phone), balanced (phantom power: +48 V, 10 mA Max.)
MIC IN jack (front): Stereo miniature phone type (plug-in power)
PHONES jack: Stereo miniature phone type
LINE OUT jacks (L/MONO, R/BYPASS): 1/4-inch phone type
USB port: USB type B
MIDI IN jack

By kaydigi Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:59 pm
EnochLight wrote:
kaydigi wrote:That’s crazy, I have a spare audio box in the closet. What I’ve been using is an Maudio audio buddy. I plug in the ac wart from the audio buddy into a ac mophie.

Man this is truly a game changer for me,

Wow - glad to have "woke" you!? :lol: I mean, the MPC has always been a sampler. You never thought of sticking a mic in it to sample? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.m-audio.com/products/view/audio-buddy

I already used an Maudio audio buddy.
Those are recorded into audio tracks. Another way is I midi up my tascan dp24 and just record that way.

When track counts are an issue I would direct record straight to drum tracks. When the project is opened in the desktop software I export them tracks into another daw.

My surprise is that the audiobox itself works without a computer. I have always just assumed you needed drivers etc to use a bus powered on non pc devices.
By EnochLight Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:13 pm
kaydigi wrote:My surprise is that the audiobox itself works without a computer. I have always just assumed you needed drivers etc to use a bus powered on non pc devices.

To be clear, the USB port on the MPC Live is just used as a power source (to drive, say for instance, phantom power, LED metering, etc). There's no drivers needed because in the examples we're taking about, the interfaces act as free-standing i/o. There's no audio being sent to the MPC Live over USB.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:18 pm
So here are the three options. I know which one, I would select. :lol:

Dynamic Mic with Audio Cable to MPC LIVE

MPC LIVE
MIC
XLR to 1/4 Audio Cable
HEADPHONES

or

Condenser Mic to Audio Interface (Battery Powered) to MPC LIVE

MPC LIVE
MIC
XLR to XLR AUDIO CABLE
XLR to 1/4 AUDIO CABLE
AUDIO INTERFACE
HEADPHONES
BATTERIES
MIC STAND

or

Condenser Mic to Audio Interface with USB to MPC LIVE for power and AUDIO CABLE to MPC LIVE.

MPC LIVE
MIC
XLR to XLR AUDIO CABLE
XLR to 1/4 AUDIO CABLE
AUDIO INTERFACE
HEADPHONES
USB CABLE
HEADPHONES
MIC STAND
By kaydigi Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:03 pm
EnochLight wrote:
kaydigi wrote:My surprise is that the audiobox itself works without a computer. I have always just assumed you needed drivers etc to use a bus powered on non pc devices.

To be clear, the USB port on the MPC Live is just used as a power source (to drive, say for instance, phantom power, LED metering, etc). There's no drivers needed because in the examples we're taking about, the interfaces act as free-standing i/o. There's no audio being sent to the MPC Live over USB.

Yeah I didn’t realize just giving the box power would activate the inputs in pass through way on a usb interface. I’m going to put it through it’s paces this weekend,
By EnochLight Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:59 pm
kaydigi wrote:Yeah I didn’t realize just giving the box power would activate the inputs in pass through way on a usb interface. I’m going to put it through it’s paces this weekend,

Ahhh gotcha. Good luck! Let us know how it works out. Not all audio interfaces work standalone with passthrough. Would be cool to see what works and what doesn't.
By EnochLight Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:24 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Another option for recording vocal into the MPC LIVE is the Roland VT-4.

MIC IN jack (rear): Combo type (XLR, 1/4-inch TRS phone), balanced (phantom power: +48 V, 10 mA Max.)
MIC IN jack (front): Stereo miniature phone type (plug-in power)
PHONES jack: Stereo miniature phone type
LINE OUT jacks (L/MONO, R/BYPASS): 1/4-inch phone type
USB port: USB type B
MIDI IN jack

I thought you might be tickled to know that I ended up picking up a Roland VT-4 :lol: (scored one almost new on Reverb for $180 USD). Ironically, I wasn't really looking at it for running 48v phantom and a cardiod mic into my MPC Live - I was just up late one night watching a crap ton of videos on the VT-3 and felt the improvements the VT-4 had were worth it. Plus - battery powered or USB!

But this should work great as a portable mic interface for the Live. :nod:
By CharlesRandolph Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:56 pm
EnochLight wrote:I thought you might be tickled to know that I ended up picking up a Roland VT-4 :lol: (scored one almost new on Reverb for $180 USD). Ironically, I wasn't really looking at it for running 48v phantom and a cardiod mic into my MPC Live - I was just up late one night watching a **** ton of videos on the VT-3 and felt the improvements the VT-4 had were worth it. Plus - battery powered or USB!

But this should work great as a portable mic interface for the Live. :nod:

Yes! Yes it will. :nod: