MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:22 pm
Monotremata wrote:The L1 and L2 is what started the whole thing I think... I remember when Waves was really pushing them back in 99/2000? When you went to the site to look up their 'How to use L1/L2' tutorial, they pretty much just told you how to blow the thing up and keep it from clipping at the maximum level. That was how Waves told everyone to use it. If you weren't familiar with how a limiter worked before, you were screwed and this was your lesson. Every little pirate that grabbed the Maximizer ran straight for that 'how to' guide and look at where it got us..

The loudness war was a progressive thing, it was happening in the analog world as well. A&R would press mastering engineers to make their records louder, so they would stand out. Year after year after year. The thing is once digital files became the main format. Everyone had all their music on a ipod or mp3 player.

Genres were all mixed together, which means the recording levels, would be different as well. So Metal bands would remastered their music to be match Singer Songwriters and Jazz and Hip Hop, and so on. Now all the music is loud with no dynamic range.

Nevertheless, as I said, it's never the tool, it's the person. L1 AND L2 can sound good if the end user knows what they are doing. Some people have the skill and some don't. :smoker:

Monotremata wrote:So people started throwing Brick Wall Limiters on everything. This was media wide, video games, movies, music, commercials, tv show, everything is LOUD!!!! :lol:

I still see alot of folks complaining about 2.6 but damn, Im getting work DONE! Pretty sure this **** is only going to get even better from here on out.

What do they complain about now? Not having disk streaming. :lol:
Bymember04959388 Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:48 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Monotremata wrote:The L1 and L2 is what started the whole thing I think... I remember when Waves was really pushing them back in 99/2000? When you went to the site to look up their 'How to use L1/L2' tutorial, they pretty much just told you how to blow the thing up and keep it from clipping at the maximum level. That was how Waves told everyone to use it. If you weren't familiar with how a limiter worked before, you were screwed and this was your lesson. Every little pirate that grabbed the Maximizer ran straight for that 'how to' guide and look at where it got us..

The loudness war was a progressive thing, it was happening in the analog world as well. A&R would press mastering engineers to make their records louder, so they would stand out. Year after year after year. The thing is once digital files became the main format. Everyone had all their music on a ipod or mp3 player.

Genres were all mixed together, which means the recording levels, would be different as well. So Metal bands would remastered their music to be match Singer Songwriters and Jazz and Hip Hop, and so on. Now all the music is loud with no dynamic range.

Nevertheless, as I said, it's never the tool, it's the person. L1 AND L2 can sound good if the end user knows what they are doing. Some people have the skill and some don't. :smoker:

Monotremata wrote:So people started throwing Brick Wall Limiters on everything. This was media wide, video games, movies, music, commercials, tv show, everything is LOUD!!!! :lol:

I still see alot of folks complaining about 2.6 but damn, Im getting work DONE! Pretty sure this **** is only going to get even better from here on out.

What do they complain about now? Not having disk streaming. :lol:

In my experience, L1 and L2 sound good only when you bypass them.
I mean, they don't do anything else then cutting the waveform basement to let the pick below the ceiling. So they cannot sound good.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:53 pm
Frisbi wrote:In my experience, L1 and L2 sound good only when you bypass them.
I mean, they don't do anything else then cutting the waveform basement to let the pick below the ceiling. So they cannot sound good.

The tool works, but some people can't work the tool. It's always been that way.
By Danoc Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:05 pm
Ummm ... As waves is concerned its getting better. Their trch is off the chain. You should go to their site. Waves is not overly complicated , it just works. I love Waves stuff.
I agree PT is old. I never thought ld see the day people rag on PT. What they don't get is its power with the HDX system and a certfied PT operator. It will not be in my personal setup.
Frisbi wrote:And I am sure Waves plugins will be fogotten soon, they just sound sterile and outdated already.
There are tons of much better solutions, PSP, Soundtoys and so on.
And also protools is outdated.
Last edited by Danoc on Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bymember04959388 Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:08 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Frisbi wrote:In my experience, L1 and L2 sound good only when you bypass them.

The tool works, but some people can't work the tool. It's always been that way.

Yeah it works, that's for sure.
But I cannot say they sound good, if you use them well, you just make the less damage possible.
Bymember04959388 Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:39 pm
Danoc wrote:Ummm ... As waves is concerned its getting better. Their trch is off the chain. You should go to their site. Waves is not overly complicated , it just works. I love Waves stuff.
I agree PT is old. I never thought ld see the day people rag on PT. What they don't get is its power with the HDX system and a certfied PT operator. It will not be in my personal setup.
Frisbi wrote:And I am sure Waves plugins will be fogotten soon, they just sound sterile and outdated already.
There are tons of much better solutions, PSP, Soundtoys and so on.
And also protools is outdated.

Check PSP eqs, compressors and limiters, they do sound much better to my ears.
Also UAD, but for this you need a hardware box to play them
By Eyalc Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:39 pm
I use several vendor’s plugs - swear by them all for what they do. In fact, I haven’t changed my plugin arsenal for a LONG time.

In no particular order:

1. Waves - L1 and L2 maximizer, vocal rider, bass rider, vitamin sonic enhancer (works wonders on 808s)
2. UAD - use too many of these to name. Not necessarily that I think they sound WAY better than other vendors though. It’s just that I invested in the platform (Apollo interface). Mostly use their compressors, and I DO actually theirs are some of the best in the game. The Shadow Hills Compressor is a staple in my final mixing chain. So is their ATR-102 tape emulation.
3. Izotope - vocal doubler (one of the best IMO, and it’s free) - always better to have the vocalist do a proper double, but I’ve been in a pinch before when the vocalist was in another country or is long gone from the studio, and it’s done a decent job at creating doubles that are passable and usable, and vocalsynth for doing some really creative things with vocals. I don’t use vocalsynth for my projects (more soul / neo-soul - not a lot of vocal tricks in that genre), but other genres, absolutely.

There are others, like some of the Antares stuff, but I avoid auto tune like the plague. LOL. When artists want that auto tune sound I just sit there like :hmmm: :WTF: :Sigh:

But in general, I believe it’s the man using the hammer, not the hammer itself, that makes the biggest difference.

Ahem, new single called Life hits UK radio this weekend, releasing August 13th, followed by album release September 20th. I know, I know - always shameless self-promotion. LOL. But really, just sharing with the community.
By Danoc Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:53 am
I know all about psp, UAD, etc but there are joints l specifically use for my sound. Waves l yell yah is on some cutting edge technology.

Frisbi wrote:Check PSP eqs, compressors and limiters, they do sound much better to my ears.
Also UAD, but for this you need a hardware box to play them
By Danoc Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:00 am
Yo that's cool you're doing your thang!

I have so many l don't feel like typin :lol:

Eyalc wrote:I use several vendor’s plugs - swear by them all for what they do. In fact, I haven’t changed my plugin arsenal for a LONG time.

In no particular order:

1. Waves - L1 and L2 maximizer, vocal rider, bass rider, vitamin sonic enhancer (works wonders on 808s)
2. UAD - use too many of these to name. Not necessarily that I think they sound WAY better than other vendors though. It’s just that I invested in the platform (Apollo interface). Mostly use their compressors, and I DO actually theirs are some of the best in the game. The Shadow Hills Compressor is a staple in my final mixing chain. So is their ATR-102 tape emulation.
3. Izotope - vocal doubler (one of the best IMO, and it’s free) - always better to have the vocalist do a proper double, but I’ve been in a pinch before when the vocalist was in another country or is long gone from the studio, and it’s done a decent job at creating doubles that are passable and usable, and vocalsynth for doing some really creative things with vocals. I don’t use vocalsynth for my projects (more soul / neo-soul - not a lot of vocal tricks in that genre), but other genres, absolutely.

There are others, like some of the Antares stuff, but I avoid auto tune like the plague. LOL. When artists want that auto tune sound I just sit there like :hmmm: :WTF: :Sigh:

But in general, I believe it’s the man using the hammer, not the hammer itself, that makes the biggest difference.

Ahem, new single called Life hits UK radio this weekend, releasing August 13th, followed by album release September 20th. I know, I know - always shameless self-promotion. LOL. But really, just sharing with the community.
By Monotremata Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:17 am
I dig the Waves plugins I own, but none of them are the Waves 'standards', I have most of the analog modeled stuff (think Im only missing the DBX comp and the redundant SSL eq), and would still be using them alot if the MPC Software had delay compensation haha. Never really cared for their flavor of comps/modulation/etc, it just wasnt my thing.

I dont know that Waves has really done anything 'groundbreaking' though. They wouldn't be the first company I run to looking for new and exciting tech on the horizon. I mean alot of their analog plugins people are just getting into are already 10+ year old code, they haven't exactly tried to update their actual models or anything since they initially did it. Im still not convinced the new 'pretend youre sitting in Abbey Road' plugin is any use.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:29 am
The Abbey Road Studio 3 is a room modeling plug in for headphones. Mainly it just for helping translating your mix, if you don't trust your speakers and your room. It's more about 5.1 and 7.1 mixing and best used in conjunction with NX Head Tracker.

Great for when mixing for Virtual Reality video games, concerts, and movies.
By Danoc Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:08 pm
Point me to a company that has GROUND BREAKING effects l would love to check them out.
And without ilok usage.

Monotremata wrote:I dig the Waves plugins I own, but none of them are the Waves 'standards', I have most of the analog modeled stuff (think Im only missing the DBX comp and the redundant SSL eq), and would still be using them alot if the MPC Software had delay compensation haha. Never really cared for their flavor of comps/modulation/etc, it just wasnt my thing.

I dont know that Waves has really done anything 'groundbreaking' though. They wouldn't be the first company I run to looking for new and exciting tech on the horizon. I mean alot of their analog plugins people are just getting into are already 10+ year old code, they haven't exactly tried to update their actual models or anything since they initially did it. Im still not convinced the new 'pretend youre sitting in Abbey Road' plugin is any use.
Bymember04959388 Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:15 pm
Danoc wrote:Point me to a company that has GROUND BREAKING effects l would love to check them out.
And without ilok usage.

Monotremata wrote:I dig the Waves plugins I own, but none of them are the Waves 'standards', I have most of the analog modeled stuff (think Im only missing the DBX comp and the redundant SSL eq), and would still be using them alot if the MPC Software had delay compensation haha. Never really cared for their flavor of comps/modulation/etc, it just wasnt my thing.

PSP fetcompressor
PSP oldtimer ME
PSP preqursor2

Soundtoys Echoboy for delays
Soundtoys Litlle Plate for reverb
By mr_debauch Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:39 pm
well you know.. for meat and potato tools, learning them and knowing how it will perform before you even select the plug-in is a big deal.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:07 pm
Would be nice if Akai Pro connected with Softube and their Console 1 MKII

Danoc wrote:Point me to a company that has GROUND BREAKING effects l would love to check them out.
And without ilok usage.