MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
Bymember04959388 Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:22 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:As long as they keep re-using, ROGER LINN'S past design and layout. The new MPC's will never be a classic. It can't be a classic, when it's copying a classic.

Nah it's not copying the classic. There is no floppy disk
By Lampdog Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:26 pm
Tell that to those who want "Dr.Dre Kit", "Kanye's setup", "9th Wonder kit"
"Timbaland editions" .
By CharlesRandolph Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:32 pm
Frisbi wrote:Nah it's not copying the classic. There is no floppy disk

I can plug in a usb floppy. :lol:

Lampdog wrote:Tell that to those who want "Dr.Dre Kit", "Kanye's setup", "9th Wonder kit"
"Timbaland editions" .

I want the Mile Davis Edition Trumpet Kit with the sunglasses.
Bymember04959388 Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:59 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Frisbi wrote:Nah it's not copying the classic. There is no floppy disk

I can plug in a usb floppy. :lol:

Lampdog wrote:Tell that to those who want "Dr.Dre Kit", "Kanye's setup", "9th Wonder kit"
"Timbaland editions" .

I want the Mile Davis Edition Trumpet Kit with the sunglasses.

Seriously, I think the Live is not a copy of older Mpc, I think they started from the classic and try to renew it somehow.
It looks new even in the design.
Maybe the X looks more like older Mpc.
Same for the OS.
I think they started from the original one and slowly enhance it with modern features.
You can see it from the workflow, it's another concept from a workflow of a daw, you have to change the way you work if you are used to daws.
I guess it's because it was born before the daws, so it's an 80s way of thinking.
I am just guessing, of course, I don't have the knowledge to say that without doubt.
By Monotremata Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:08 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:I want the Mile Davis Edition Trumpet Kit with the sunglasses.

Comes with a 12GB expansion of Bitches Brew loops. HELL YES!!
By CharlesRandolph Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:09 pm
Frisbi wrote:Seriously, I think the Live is not a copy of older Mpc, I think they started from the classic and try to renew it somehow.
It looks new even in the design.
Maybe the X looks more like older Mpc.
Same for the OS.
I think they started from the original one and slowly enhance it with modern features.
You can see it from the workflow, it's another concept from a workflow of a daw, you have to change the way you work if you are used to daws.
I guess it's because it was born before the daws, so it's an 80s way of thinking.
I am just guessing, of course, I don't have the knowledge to say that without doubt.

Linn Drum Midi Studio. Add 4 knobs and a bigger screen. :lol:

Monotremata wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:I want the Mile Davis Edition Trumpet Kit with the sunglasses.

Comes with a 12GB expansion of Bitches Brew loops. HELL YES!!

They could not get the rights to that, so Round Midnight would have to do. :nod:
By Fre$hBreath Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:33 am
If you don't recognize the first hybrid touchscreen MPC with 8 CV outs, 16 Q-Link encoders and OLED displays as an instant classic then no one can help you.

Yeah I know the MPC-4000 blah, blah, and the MPC-1000 AND MPC-2500 JJOS yada, yada, yada but all of that is coming eventually and bigger and better things along the way.

Does your classic pre-MPC X autosample, has audio tracks, 2 warping methods, great built-in synths, dynamics and effects?

I don't know about you guys, but I love my MPC X and to me its already a classic...
By saltmcgault Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:37 am
"Timbaland editions" .

why no madlib drum kit!?
By Cockdiesel Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:09 am
[quote="Fre$hBreath" I don't know about you guys, but I love my MPC X and to me its already a classic...[/quote]

Dude I am right there with you on the innovation aspect but this is a new era we are looking at machines that run same software going forward. is the mpd 24 a classic controller, or do the newer ones have better and more features? I know it might be hard to convey, but do you see what I am getting at. They will continue to and need to keep making new designs of hardware running this same software for the foreseeable future.

there wont be much of difference in anything besides the user interface for akai gear going forward. It will just matter on your preference to it. there won't be any difference you see with jumping from a mpc 60 to a 2000 to a 3 k to a 4 k type of difference. Just how you control the machine.

I don't think much hardware these days can be defined as "classics". Even high end stuff. Even tide for example. they have great effects, love them. However there is not much differance in their effects. an eclipse is 2 eventide pedals, the new flagship is like 16 or 32 h9 pedals all stacked up with all types of other bells and whistles, but it all runs the same stuff at it's core.
By Monotremata Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:04 am
Yeah Im pretty sure we can all agree the X and Live are where the whole 1000/2500/5000 series should've been back then even.. But yeah like Cockdiesel said, stuff just doesn't have the longevity it used to. Its just the way the industry and pretty much life in general has gone. Stuff just isn't built to last like it used to be. Companies now would rather spend money on R&D to keep pushing out new products (that might or might not be a step forward) and have you keep buying something new every year instead of investing in a proper service plan for their products like they used to. Its like a 'get it now, burn through it and move on to the next' kinda mentality. When the MPC came out, gear like that was looked at as a serious long-term investment that was going to get you years of usage! When a product didn't live up to that, those companies just flat out went away. Nowadays people seem pretty apt to put up with it and just keep throwing money at problems instead of fixing them. We're doing this shit with everything not just music instruments. We've even taken this attitude towards out planet and pretty much everything in our daily lives. Consume as much as you can, and don't worry about tomorrow as long as you got it NOW!

On that note - damn maybe somebody can resurrect Ensoniq. I want a RZA edition EPS16 now hah!
By MAXTHEDOG Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:13 am
^^That exactly!
Absolutely spot on.
Old b*stard rant inbound:
When you’ve grown up on 4 tracks on cassette tape as your only practical option, this stuff as long as it’s stable is like SF.

As Monotremata has alluded to it’s the marketing that gets us - more tracks, more sample rate, more fx at once blah, blah. But nobody forces anyone to ‘upgrade’. I’ve still got my (almost) 20 year old Supernova 2, Q rack, and E4XTUltra.
I think my Live is so good I’m contemplating getting an X. See the marketing buggers have got to me..... :WTF:
$0.02
Cheers.
By Ill-Green Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:54 am
In order to be a classic, it has to be the only machine on the market doing what its doing. And the MPCs are doing that but I can think of a dozen other products that can do what these MPCs do and maybe better so they still in competition.

A classic has no competition.
By Menco Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:36 am
Ill-Green wrote:In order to be a classic, it has to be the only machine on the market doing what its doing. And the MPCs are doing that but I can think of a dozen other products that can do what these MPCs do and maybe better so they still in competition.

A classic has no competition.

This or it has to be a revolutionary game changing piece of equipment that shaped and influenced a whole music genre or the way we make music.

Maybe it will be a classic to some, because to some it’ll open up a whole new world, or they learned how to make beats on the X, or it’s their first piece of equipment. In my personal book the 500, 1000 and 2500 are classics to me, although I understand they are not considered classics by the majority. But the 500 was the first piece of equipment I started out on, the 1000 taught me a lot and on the 2500 I did a lot of projects. But that’s all personal off course.
By Icepulse Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:57 am
It’ll be a classic for the crowd that never expected it to compete w/ plug-in suites and updated audio interfaces and new sound cards, etc. For folks that make purely sample-based hip hop, that have no interest in MIDI out timing to external synths and etc. One box, two monitors and a Teac X10-R.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:27 pm
The MPC 60 is the only truly classic MPC, because it's the first and is still in use today. Everything else after hat is continuous or alliteration of that design. Personally, I prefer to look at MPC's by generations. As you can see, it was during the third/current generation where Akai Pro jumped the shark. So, it's going to take a long time before the MPC X, will be considered a classic. :lol:

First Generations: (1988 to 1999)

MPC 60 (Original MPC)*
MPC 60 MKII
MPC 3000
MPC 2000

Second Generations: (2000 - 2009)

MPC 2000 XL/MCD/SE2 (The Last MIDI PRODUCTION CENTER)*
MPC 4000 White/Blue
MPC 1000 BLUE/BK
MPC 2500
MPC 500
MPC 5000