MPC X, MPC Live & MPC One Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II & MPC One Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By 40Beatz Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:46 pm
I think we all have different perceptions of what a "Classic" is. IMHO...A "Classic" is something that gets that title over time, and is still able to put out a Hit!

In 20years all of this Equipment will be "Classics". To me...anything close to 30yrs old...is a CLASSIC. Some may not like the "Classics" But its still a Classic piece of equipment. ESPECIALLY if it changed the Game around its time.

MPC X....Yes it changed the Game for this Era. Who knows...Another company may come along and change the game with their release of a Standalone.
User avatar
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:50 pm
40Beatz wrote:I think we all have different perceptions of what a "Classic" is. IMHO...A "Classic" is something that gets that title over time, and is still able to put out a Hit!

In 20years all of this Equipment will be "Classics". To me...anything close to 30yrs old...is a CLASSIC. Some may not like the "Classics" But its still a Classic piece of equipment. ESPECIALLY if it changed the Game around its time.

MPC X....Yes it changed the Game for this Era. Who knows...Another company may come along and change the game with their release of a Standalone.


Old doesn't mean classic. Sometimes, its just old. :lol: Specifically, how do you think the MPC X changed the game? (Honest Question)
By 40Beatz Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:55 pm
clas·sic
/ˈklasik/

adjective, adjective: classic

1.
judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
"a classic novel"
synonyms: definitive, authoritative;


Good Old Fashion Classic Dictionary Quote :lol:

How many other STANDALONE Drum Machines have Touch Screens, Sampler, Multiple Ins & Outs, etc


Waiting.... :lol:
User avatar
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:09 pm
40Beatz wrote:clas·sic
/ˈklasik/

adjective, adjective: classic

1.
judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
"a classic novel"
synonyms: definitive, authoritative;


Good Old Fashion Classic Dictionary Quote :lol:

How many other STANDALONE Drum Machines have Touch Screens, Sampler, Multiple Ins & Outs, etc


Waiting.... :lol:


iPAD PRO with drum pad controller with Apogee Quartet interface. (Build an all in one case for it.) :lol:


AD/DA conversion for recording up to 192kHz / 24-bit.
4 analog inputs with world-class mic preamps and selectable 48v phantom power for connecting microphones, instruments or line-level devices.
8 analog outputs – 6 balanced 1/4” outs for speakers or outboard gear, 1/4” stereo headphone output.
8 digital inputs via 2 optical connections (ADAT/SMUX).
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By 40Beatz Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:13 pm
Again....Standalone Drum Machine! That's a Tablet w/Interface :lol:

Good Try Tho :worthy:
User avatar
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:16 pm
40Beatz wrote:Again....Standalone Drum Machine! That's a Tablet w/Interface :lol:

Good Try Tho :worthy:


Not if you build a case for it. But how game changing is a touch screen interface?
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By 40Beatz Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:35 pm
Not just the Touch Screen. But if you Invent a case for your Ipad and Interface contraption, you will definitely have Classic Game Changer over time.
Until then...I'll revert back to your original question..." Specifically, how do you think the MPC X changed the game? (Honest Question)"

No Other Standalone Drum Machine Competition out yet. It may have its Bugs and problems(which all "Classics" had), its still a Candidate for being a Classic in the future.

:worthy: :worthy:
User avatar
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:48 pm
40Beatz wrote:Not just the Touch Screen. But if you Invent a case for your Ipad and Interface contraption, you will definitely have Classic Game Changer over time.
Until then...I'll revert back to your original question..." Specifically, how do you think the MPC X changed the game? (Honest Question)"

No Other Standalone Drum Machine Competition out yet. It may have its Bugs and problems(which all "Classics" had), its still a Candidate for being a Classic in the future.
:worthy: :worthy:


That's because the form factor has moved forward. A ultra book, interface, and controller, will run LAPS around an MPC for half the price with 4 times the power. Akai Pro needs to serious bump up the specs. When the MPC 60 came out it was $5000 and it was doing things a $20,000 desktop could do. Those days are long gone, why do you think Akai Pro puts out software controllers? Because they know. that's what people are using.

I like the MPC X and standalone is fantastic, minus the MIDI. :nod: But I'm not crazy, they are working on a new machine with a new SOC and then reuse part because they have tons of MPC X part overstock. :lol:
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By 40Beatz Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:06 pm
You're right! Only Time Will Tell From Here On Out!

My 68 Impala....wasn't the fastest, Prettiest, most technologically advanced vehicle of its time. Fast Forward 51 Years.....I believe it probably would be considered a Classic today.....maybe

:worthy:
User avatar
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:09 pm
40Beatz wrote:You're right! Only Time Will Tell From Here On Out!

My 68 Impala....wasn't the fastest, Prettiest, most technologically advanced vehicle of its time. Fast Forward 51 Years.....I believe it probably would be considered a Classic today.....maybe

:worthy:


Yeah, we have to give the MPC X. But that 68 Impala hardtop or convertible? Low ride builders love the 1968 Fastback. :nod: :worthy:
User avatar
By Bezo Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:15 pm
I think the music industry has changed enough to kill the word classic as it pertains to most things music related. Music is not consumed in a way to invoke that word. And too many folks are making music using too many different instruments.

Music's value has decreased too much for classic anything IMO.

But times always change.
User avatar
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:31 pm
Bezo wrote:I think the music industry has changed enough to kill the word classic as it pertains to most things music related. Music is not consumed in a way to invoke that word. And too many folks are making music using too many different instruments.

Music's value has decreased too much for classic anything IMO.

But times always change.


That's a good point. Also what 40Beatz said about his 68 Impala. "Wasn't fastest, Prettiest, most technologically advanced vehicle of its time." But it was the enthusiast, who made it a classic. They keep it alive, by modifying it. Especially the Low Rider community.

This is what is happening with MPC's: 60, 3000, 2000, 2000XL, 4000.
User avatar
By Lampdog Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:55 pm
5k gets no love, not a classic :lol: :lol:
It's not even an unwanted stepchild, it's something that should have been
swallowed and/or shot into a skin tight lambskin/latex baggie and flushed?!
User avatar
By Bezo Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:48 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Bezo wrote:I think the music industry has changed enough to kill the word classic as it pertains to most things music related. Music is not consumed in a way to invoke that word. And too many folks are making music using too many different instruments.

Music's value has decreased too much for classic anything IMO.

But times always change.


That's a good point. Also what 40Beatz said about his 68 Impala. "Wasn't fastest, Prettiest, most technologically advanced vehicle of its time." But it was the enthusiast, who made it a classic. They keep it alive, by modifying it. Especially the Low Rider community.

This is what is happening with MPC's: 60, 3000, 2000, 2000XL, 4000.
Agreed!

I remember folks not liking the 4K/Z8 when they dropped. Too clean. Now folks love them. I think that will happen with the X/Live when updates settle & folks get reacquainted. They simply do things other units are not.

Just can't imagine Classic status under current circumstances. Cult classic among MPC users maybe.
User avatar
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:52 pm
Lampdog wrote:5k gets no love, not a classic :lol: :lol:
It's not even an unwanted stepchild, it's something that should have been
swallowed and/or shot into a skin tight lambskin/latex baggie and flushed?!


The 16 bit sampling, 192 MB of RAM and MIDI Jitter is what killed the MPC 5000. :lol: Did the MPC 5000 ADAT and 8 analog out mirror each other or could they be routed to send 16 out at once?