MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:05 pm
If the next MPC X was in this format, what would you add to it?

Center: Would be all pads.
Left side: Qlink Knobs and Faders
Right side: Functions Buttons and Transport,
Screen would stay the same.
The Rear: Would have more inputs and outputs, more midi, usb, ethernet, adats, phono. The works.

By Danoc Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:36 pm
Nope. I'm a producer not a DJ :lol: what on earth are you about to start man ? LOL

Seriously though, I wouldn't buy into it. Being you said the Pads would be in the center etc, That would be to big for me. Some how I went from loving a whole lot of equipment to being compact. I'd stay with the Live to be honest, I'm not doing a lot with it, so to buy some thing like that would be pure aesthetic. As you know I do my thing through the computer. I look at the Live as a DAW-Instrument!

CharlesRandolph wrote:If the next MPC X was in this format, what would you add to it?

Center: Would be all pads.
Left side: Qlink Knobs and Faders
Right side: Functions Buttons and Transport,
Screen would stay the same.
The Rear: Would have more inputs and outputs, more midi, usb, ethernet, adats, phono. The works.

By D3V1L15H Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:15 am
What ifffff..... those side tables were just peripherals you can attach at will? You want a MPK type keyboard? Oh sure, attach to the right. Need a mini mixer with tactile knobs handy, attach to left. Some kaosillator-XYFX screen peripheral to attach? Sure, do it.

Idk. I think if the concept was broken down to integral upgrade hardware parts with the center having pads and all, it could be fun.....
Bymember04959388 Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:18 am
I am all into portability man.
That's HUGE.
The electronic musical instrument world is moving to smaller stuff for there are more bedroom producers and less recording studios.
I would love a small new Live with more qlinks (maybe 8 ) and more outputs (maybe 8 ) on the back.
By Cockdiesel Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:08 am
akai should develop thier version of of the q-pac by allen and heath. then basically slap all those ins and outs on a mpc x....

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/qu-pac/

Id rather see something more focused of their keygroups, although the force somewhat covers this for a controller. I am talking a more dedicated keyboard sampler. they could basically copy the format of the z8/4000 and put it on the same platform. a battery operated and flag ship keyboard. been saying this for awhile. perhaps something that could compete with kontact but can be used standalone. from what I recall the VIP software was pretty dope but seems to have been abandoned.
By robleighton22 Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:22 am
D3V1L15H wrote:What ifffff..... those side tables were just peripherals you can attach at will? You want a MPK type keyboard? Oh sure, attach to the right. Need a mini mixer with tactile knobs handy, attach to left. Some kaosillator-XYFX screen peripheral to attach? Sure, do it.

Idk. I think if the concept was broken down to integral upgrade hardware parts with the center having pads and all, it could be fun.....

This! I'm all over the idea of module peripherals designed specific for the MPC range. That way we can decide if we want to build a monster or deattach for when on the road. I do like the idea of a mega MPC, but would want to see a step sequencer in their somehow. Basically the next gen needs to move away from old MPC state of mind and embrace new ways of doing things.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:59 am
Price/Size/Measurements of MPC X and Prime 4.

PRIME 4:

Height: 4.08" / 10.36cm"
Width: 28.68" / 72.85cm"
Depth: 19.56" / 49.68cm"
Weight: 21.34lb / 9.68kg"
Price: $1,699.00

MPC X:

Height: 3.4" / 8.64cm"
Width: 19.9" / 50.55cm"
Depth: 16.7" / 42.42cm"
Weight: 12.5lb / 5.67kg"
Price: $2,199.00

As you can see, it's not much different with the Prime 4 vs MPC X: 1 inch taller, 7 inches wider, 3 inches deeper, 9 lbs heavier, $600 dollars less. To put in it perspective, my MPC 4000 weighs: 23 lbs (10.5kg) and a SP 1200 weighs: 19lbs or approx. 9.5kg.

Frisbi wrote:I am all into portability man.
That's HUGE. The electronic musical instrument world is moving to smaller stuff for there are more bedroom producers and less recording studios. I would love a small new Live with more qlinks (maybe 8 ) and more outputs (maybe 8 ) on the back.

I understand the low end market trend is smaller desktop pieces. However, with smaller pieces, you need a mixer with enough inputs. Which requires more desk space. We can't forget, you buy 6 small units for only $500 dollars each, you've spent $3000. It's a trick to get, people to spend more money. Let's be honest, people are buying 10 small units, that they barely use. :lol:

The goal for this would be make a true flagship, a honest center piece for the studio. More inputs, More outputs, More Knobs and Faders. It would be a drum machine, sequencer, full fledge sampler, mixer, audio interface, and control surface.

It would work in stand alone and controller mode with Software DAW integration for PT, Reason, Cubase, Logic, Reaper, Sequoia, FL Studios, and more. Basically it would have Mackie Control Protocol. Also with more space inside, the internal specs would be bumped up.

This would be the sit down and get down to work machine. When you walk into the studio, you're excited to work.

Cockdiesel wrote:akai should develop thier version of of the q-pac by allen and heath. then basically slap all those ins and outs on a mpc x....

That would work great as an external breakout box, that give the machine i/o.
Bymember04959388 Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:14 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Price/Size/Measurements of MPC X and Prime 4.

PRIME 4:

Height: 4.08" / 10.36cm"
Width: 28.68" / 72.85cm"
Depth: 19.56" / 49.68cm"
Weight: 21.34lb / 9.68kg"
Price: $1,699.00

MPC X:

Height: 3.4" / 8.64cm"
Width: 19.9" / 50.55cm"
Depth: 16.7" / 42.42cm"
Weight: 12.5lb / 5.67kg"
Price: $2,199.00

As you can see, it's not much different with the Prime 4 vs MPC X: 1 inch taller, 7 inches wider, 3 inches deeper, 9 lbs heavier, $600 dollars less. To put in it perspective, my MPC 4000 weighs: 23 lbs (10.5kg) and a SP 1200 weighs: 19lbs or approx. 9.5kg.

Frisbi wrote:I am all into portability man.
That's HUGE. The electronic musical instrument world is moving to smaller stuff for there are more bedroom producers and less recording studios. I would love a small new Live with more qlinks (maybe 8 ) and more outputs (maybe 8 ) on the back.

I understand the low end market trend is smaller desktop pieces. However, with smaller pieces, you need a mixer with enough inputs. Which requires more desk space. We can't forget, you buy 6 small units for only $500 dollars each, you've spent $3000. It's a trick to get, people to spend more money. Let's be honest, people are buying 10 small units, that they barely use. :lol:

The goal for this would be make a true flagship, a honest center piece for the studio. More inputs, More outputs, More Knobs and Faders. It would be a drum machine, sequencer, full fledge sampler, mixer, audio interface, and control surface.

It would work in stand alone and controller mode with Software DAW integration for PT, Reason, Cubase, Logic, Reaper, Sequoia, FL Studios, and more. Basically it would have Mackie Control Protocol. Also with more space inside, the internal specs would be bumped up.

This would be the sit down and get down to work machine. When you walk into the studio, you're excited to work.

Cockdiesel wrote:akai should develop thier version of of the q-pac by allen and heath. then basically slap all those ins and outs on a mpc x....

That would work great as an external breakout box, that give the machine i/o.

Well I would never work without a mixer anyway.
That will always be my central piece on the table.
And I have a Mpc Live, a small LPk25, a kaoss pad and a boss multifx and they all fit in a bag that I can carry with me everywhere, even by airplanes.
For me this is totally crucial, to have a set that can stay on a table or carried in a club for concerts so what I play at home will be the same of what I play on a club.
I guess many people have this way of thinking nowaday.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:23 pm
Frisbi wrote:
Well I would never work without a mixer anyway. That will always be my central piece on the table. And I have a Mpc Live, a small LPk25, a kaoss pad and a boss multifx and they all fit in a bag that I can carry with me everywhere, even by airplanes.

For me this is totally crucial, to have a set that can stay on a table or carried in a club for concerts so what I play at home will be the same of what I play on a club. I guess many people have this way of thinking nowaday.

That is true.

I have everything patched in. So everything in my chain, is permanent. Unless, I'm replacing or having it modded/repaired. I always found it easier to have separate rigs for live. The Life span of mobile gear is far shorter, than studio gear.

A piece like this could be mobile, but it's more about studio integrations.
Bymember04959388 Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:29 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Frisbi wrote:
Well I would never work without a mixer anyway. That will always be my central piece on the table. And I have a Mpc Live, a small LPk25, a kaoss pad and a boss multifx and they all fit in a bag that I can carry with me everywhere, even by airplanes.

For me this is totally crucial, to have a set that can stay on a table or carried in a club for concerts so what I play at home will be the same of what I play on a club. I guess many people have this way of thinking nowaday.

That is true.

I have everything patched in. So everything in my chain, is permanent. Unless, I'm replacing or having it modded/repaired. I always found it easier to have separate rigs for live. The Life span of mobile gear is far shorter, than studio gear.

A piece like this could be mobile, but it's more about studio integrations.

Yeah but at the end it is what Akai did, Mpc X for studio, Mpc Live for portability, isn't it?
So you designed a complete big solution for studio and I should design a perfect solution for portability, isn't it?
My imaginary Live 2.0 will just have 8 qlinks and 4 stereo ouputs, that's it.
For the rest is the same.
Ah, maybe also a digital out to digitally send separate tracks to a multitrack.
Does something like that exist?
By CharlesRandolph Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:07 pm
Frisbi wrote:Yeah but at the end it is what Akai did, Mpc X for studio, Mpc Live for portability, isn't it?
So you designed a complete big solution for studio and I should design a perfect solution for portability, isn't it?

1010music blackbox is close.
Bymember04959388 Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:10 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Frisbi wrote:Yeah but at the end it is what Akai did, Mpc X for studio, Mpc Live for portability, isn't it?

1010music blackbox is close.

Yeah I saw it, very nice design but apparently effects are nothing special and I am an effect addicted
By CharlesRandolph Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:19 pm
Frisbi wrote:Yeah I saw it, very nice design but apparently effects are nothing special and I am an effect addicted
Maybe they will update it or you have to pair it with an Multi Effects Processor. Just with those two, you're at 1400 US. :lol:
By Danoc Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:32 pm
:lol: Me too. How you liking that new Air reverb? I find myself using it on my claps, snares or percussion. I love tje tail it displays when l set it up.

Frisbi wrote:I am an effect addicted
Bymember04959388 Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:50 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Frisbi wrote:Yeah I saw it, very nice design but apparently effects are nothing special and I am an effect addicted
Maybe they will update it or you have to pair it with an Multi Effects Processor. Just with those two, you're at 1400 US. :lol:

HUGE again!!!!
The blackbox with good fx would be the solution.
All in a box.
I am considering a Boss Rc202 looper to pair with Libe after trying sp404sx which has great fx but a very bad sampling workflow