MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 am
Anyone using a USB HUB similar to the one below? Connected to your MPC X/LIVE. I think loading it with 13 usb keys would be interesting. :nod:

By 40Beatz Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:44 pm
Whoa!
By Bezo Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:32 pm
Not sure about the costs comparison, but I imagine it would be more convenient to install an SSD instead. But yeah, that's a killer alternative.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:05 pm
Using both would be ideal.

Kingston 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive for $5.99 each = 320 GB for $60 dollars.
SanDisk Cruzer CZ36 64GB for $9.50 each = 640 GB for $95 dollars.

Price is more than a SSD with more space.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By lih Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:27 pm
tbh seems like all those extra “places” would be a pain in the ass
By Bezo Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:55 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:...Kingston 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive for $5.99 each = 320 GB for $60 dollars..
Plus the cost of the hub.

lih wrote:tbh seems like all those extra “places” would be a pain in the ass
And keeping track of all the USB drives...
By 40Beatz Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:07 pm
Yeah but what about using Multiple MIDI controllers! But then again...the MIDI Implementation is all Bottle Necked to where you can only use one controller at a time lol
By CharlesRandolph Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:18 pm
Bezo wrote:]Plus the cost of the hub.

The hub is $8.99. You can get the flash drives for less, but they're off brand or counterfeits.

Rename each flash drive, which makes keeping track of them easy.
By TheEastSideStory Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:29 pm
I use one of the cheap Sabrent 4-port usb 3.0 hubs with some sandisk cruzer 128gb usb drives. Works beautifully. I prefer this to constantly taking usb drives in and out of my mpc. I like the convenience of being able to bring my sounds anywhere I go, because my studio has an mpc x but I also have a live for travelling.

Hope this helps.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:37 pm
TheEastSideStory wrote:I use one of the cheap Sabrent 4-port usb 3.0 hubs with some sandisk cruzer 128gb usb drives. Works beautifully. I prefer this to constantly taking usb drives in and out of my mpc. I like the convenience of being able to bring my sounds anywhere I go, because my studio has an mpc x but I also have a live for travelling.

Hope this helps.

Was thinking of getting the Cruzer Glide 128GB or the 256GB. Then later on, I could RAID 0 them all together. Yes......USB A ports are not robust at all. Is your HUB, usb or wall powered?
By lih Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:59 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Bezo wrote:]Plus the cost of the hub.

The hub is $8.99. You can get the flash drives for less, but they're off brand or counterfeits.

Rename each flash drive, which makes keeping track of them easy.

true...why are you going this route instead of a hard drive?
By Danoc Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:26 pm
I have that but its used on my desk top computer. Its pretty cool. Cost was $7 off ebay :smoker:

CharlesRandolph wrote:Anyone using a USB HUB similar to the one below? Connected to your MPC X/LIVE. I think loading it with 13 usb keys would be interesting. :nod:

By Danoc Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:32 pm
No it won't. You do know you can change the name of hyour drive/USB. I use a Gorilla 32GB USB and name it "MPC" so when l expoet my tracks in the MPC l see it pop up.

Bezo wrote:And keeping track of all the USB drives...
By Bezo Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:51 pm
Danoc wrote:No it won't. You do know you can change the name of hyour drive/USB. I use a Gorilla 32GB USB and name it "MPC" so when l expoet my tracks in the MPC l see it pop up.

Bezo wrote:And keeping track of all the USB drives...
Ha! Yes, I know drives can be named :Sigh: . I wasn't referring to the names. I was referring to keeping track o the physical drives themselves. I prefer one installed drive over 13 individual thumb drives.

If they never leave the hub, I guess there's no worries. We all use tools differently. I'd use thumb drives for ease of swapping from one instrument/computer to another. For more permanent storage, I went with an installed SSD. You did it another way.
By Monotremata Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:48 pm
Bezo wrote:Ha! Yes, I know drives can be named :Sigh: . I wasn't referring to the names. I was referring to keeping track o the physical drives themselves. I prefer one installed drive over 13 individual thumb drives.

If they never leave the hub, I guess there's no worries. We all use tools differently. I'd use thumb drives for ease of swapping from one instrument/computer to another. For more permanent storage, I went with an installed SSD. You did it another way.

This is a nightmare for me at home hahaha. I used to work for the Geek Squad years ago so I have a shitload of 16 and 32GB Geek Squad branded thumb drives we used to keep in stock to give customers copies of backups or recovery media on. They all have the exact same logo on them and the only difference is some are labeled 'Client Data', some are 'Recovery' and I have one thats labeled 'MRI' (that was our diagnostic software). I can't remember for the life of me which one is which and every damn time I just have to keep sticking em in and ejecting em until I find the right one hahaha. The only one I know for sure is the one with all my MPC Software and expansion installers on it. And thats because its the MRI one. Figured oh the one with the M on it should be the MPC heh. Of course thats the one Ive only needed once when I made the backups of the downloads to begin with.