MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By AWW~NAWW Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:08 pm
Ok I have an 8 bar loop nothing special. I'm trying to copy and multiply by two (x2) the first four bars to the beginning of my eight bar sequence giving me a total of 16 bars. However when I go to complete this with having the copied bars to insert after bar "0", the initial are either merged or replaced. The sequence stays at 8 bars instead of becoming 16 bars.
By Monotremata Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:05 am
Dont know if its a bug or not, but think it only extends and creates new measures at the end of the sequence. For what youre trying to do though, I would copy the last half and move it to the end where it should go. That way it will extend the sequence and leave you with the empty bars in between, you just copy paste bar 1-4 twice to bars 5-12.
By 40Beatz Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:30 pm
I would go to sequence....Copy Events...1:1 ---> 9:1 TO -----> 9:1 (one time replace)
Then Copy 1:1 ----> 5:1 TO -----> 5:1 (Replace One time).

Easiest workaround Bruh...
By Monotremata Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:02 pm
tiger001 wrote:the problem is there 's no insert on this screen, only replace or merge
i'm going to report this to AKAI

Youre doing 'Copy Bars'.. 'Insert Blank Bars' is a separate function. On the Studio its the very first option on the Sequence Edit menu. Delete and Copy Bars are #s 2 and 3 in the list respectively. What 40 Beatz said is way easier though and pretty much what I recommended.
By AWW~NAWW Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:28 pm
Yeah I just inserted 8 bars at the beginning and then went to copy bars to replace the empty ones I added.
It's amazing something that is so easily done on an MPC 2k or 4k and so on can be so convoluted and cumbersome on a machine this advice. We shouldn't have to resort to work arounds for something so mundane. I honestly think it's a programming oversight that never got taken care of.
Thanks you to all who replied.
By JeriKo Jackson Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:30 pm
This is most def a bug. I was on 2.4 before upgrading to 2.6 and from memory this worked as it always did. It seems that if you copy bars to the end of the sequence it will increase the sequence length but won’t if you try to “insert” bars at the beginning. As I said this used to work for me.

After messing around I’ve found the easiest workaround for me is to double the sequence length then copy the necessary bars and replace. So in OPs case double the 8 bar sequence to 16 > copy first 4 bars > set number of copies to 2, replace the first 8 bars.
By Monotremata Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:14 am
No it works fine, I just did it, but I found a new bug with it in the software while I was testing it haha.
He was using 'Copy Bars'. The 'Insert Blank Bars' function works just fine here, but theres a trick on the software.

The number of bars doesn't match on the computer and the MPC Studio. When you first hit Insert Blank Bars, the computer screen pops up and is set to 1, but my MPC Studio was set to 2. It only inserted one bar when I did it, and I noticed what it was doing afterwards heh. If you try to redo it again, it leaves the hardware set to your last choice, but the computer shows 1 again and it always goes by what the computer says when you hit Do It. The Bars choice doesn't sync up unless you change it on one, and then both will jump and match up.

Other than that though, Insert Blank Bars works perfectly fine, I just inserted a shitload of em at the beginning of a sequence.