MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By justineastwick Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:33 pm
Okay, bear with me - I’ll try to explain this as detailed as possible:

I’m looking for a way to merge multiple sound sources to the LINE input on my MPC Live. These sound sources are the output of my JUNO-DS keyboard synthesizer and the output of my iPod.

I use the LINE input on MPC Live to sample drums from my JUNO-DS and to sample songs from my iPod.

I do already have a mixer - it’s a 16-channel line mixer. The outputs of my MPC Live and my JUNO-DS go to channels 1-4 of my 16-channel line mixer. The outputs from the 16-channel line mixer are connected to studio monitors.

When I want to sample the drums from my JUNO-DS, I have to disconnect it from the 16-channel line mixer and connect it to the LINE input on MPC Live. However, I can’t use my iPod in the LINE input of my MPC Live when I do this.

So, is there an easy way to split the output of my JUNO-DS that’s going into my 16-channel line mixer and merge it with the output of my iPod to go to the LINE input of my MPC Live?

By doing this, can I keep my JUNO-DS connected to my 16-channel mixer and be able to sample right into the MPC Live without disconnecting it?

Thanks for any responses in advance!
By justineastwick Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:13 pm
frankie13 wrote:Do you have aux sends on your mixer?
I have everything plugged into my mixer with the prefader aux send sent to MPC, so if I want to record something I simply turn up the send on that mixer channel.
I'd recommend this method.

It’s a Behringer Eurorack Pro RX1602. It doesn’t have an AUX SEND, but it has a MON OUT SEND - the monitor signal... So, I’m assuming that this is a stereo signal and I’d just need to connect it to the LINE input of my MPC Live?
By justineastwick Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:44 pm
justineastwick wrote:
frankie13 wrote:Do you have aux sends on your mixer?
I have everything plugged into my mixer with the prefader aux send sent to MPC, so if I want to record something I simply turn up the send on that mixer channel.
I'd recommend this method.

It’s a Behringer Eurorack Pro RX1602. It doesn’t have an AUX SEND, but it has a MON OUT SEND - the monitor signal... So, I’m assuming that this is a stereo signal and I’d just need to connect it to the LINE input of my MPC Live?

So, I just plugged my headphones into the MON OUT SEND jack on the mixer. It does work, but it’s just a mono signal.
By justineastwick Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:18 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:You could hook up your monitors to the Mpc and put the mixer into the inputs.

This could work too. I didn’t think about that. Thanks for that suggestion!

I just left my music store. I bought some mono to stereo breakout cables and a mono to stereo adaptor for about $40. I’m going to try to convert the MON OUT SEND to stereo using what I bought. If it doesn’t work, I’ll just keep the cables. You never know when you need them.
Last edited by justineastwick on Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:54 pm
justineastwick wrote:So, I connected a mono cable to the MON OUT SEND on the mixer and just split it with a breakout cable into the LINE input of my MPC Live. It’s not true stereo, but it’ll do.

Buy two of these, one on the left main out and one on the right main out.

Hosa YPP-111 1/4" TS to Dual 1/4" TSF Y Cable
By justineastwick Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:55 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
justineastwick wrote:So, I connected a mono cable to the MON OUT SEND on the mixer and just split it with a breakout cable into the LINE input of my MPC Live. It’s not true stereo, but it’ll do.

Buy two of these, one on the left main out and one on the right main out.

Hosa YPP-111 1/4" TS to Dual 1/4" TSF Y Cable

Thanks! Don't know why my dumb ass ain't think of this either! I'll grab two of these and try it out. Just a quick question: does the MON OUT SEND method I did work similar to this? I took a mono cable and connected it to a stereo breakout cable on the LINE input on the MPC Live.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:55 pm
justineastwick wrote:Thanks! Don't know why my dumb ass ain't think of this either! I'll grab two of these and try it out. Just a quick question: does the MON OUT SEND method I did work similar to this? I took a mono cable and connected it to a stereo breakout cable on the LINE input on the MPC Live.

Looking at your gear list, I would do this.

Roland JUNO-DS Synthesizer and Numark PT-01USB Turntable plug into Behringer RX1602 Eurorack Pro Mixer.
Input 1&2 Roland
Input 3&4 Turntable
Input 5&6 IPOD

Behringer RX1602 Eurorack Pro Mixer out to inputs of the MPC LIVE.

Akai Professional MPC Live Sampler out to your PreSonus Eris 3.5 Studio Monitors.

Do it this way, everything you plug into the Behringer RX1602 Eurorack Pro Mixer, can be sampled into MPC LIVE.
By justineastwick Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:24 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
justineastwick wrote:Thanks! Don't know why my dumb ass ain't think of this either! I'll grab two of these and try it out. Just a quick question: does the MON OUT SEND method I did work similar to this? I took a mono cable and connected it to a stereo breakout cable on the LINE input on the MPC Live.

Looking at your gear list, I would do this.

Roland JUNO-DS Synthesizer and Numark PT-01USB Turntable plug into Behringer RX1602 Eurorack Pro Mixer.
Input 1&2 Roland
Input 3&4 Turntable
Input 5&6 IPOD

Behringer RX1602 Eurorack Pro Mixer out to inputs of the MPC LIVE.

Akai Professional MPC Live Sampler out to your PreSonus Eris 3.5 Studio Monitors.

Do it this way, everything you plug into the Behringer RX1602 Eurorack Pro Mixer, can be sampled into MPC LIVE.

Yeah, Cockdiesel said the same thing, but I had already went to the music store to get all of the cables. My daughter likes to play with the piano every now and then, so I'd still need to turn on the MPC to hear it, right? I don't let her touch my MPC Live.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:52 pm
justineastwick wrote:Yeah, Cockdiesel said the same thing, but I had already went to the music store to get all of the cables. My daughter likes to play with the piano every now and then, so I'd still need to turn on the MPC to hear it, right? I don't let her touch my MPC Live.

Yes, you would need to have the MPC on. That could be a great teaching and bonding lesson. Show her how to the respect equipment. That's what my father did.
By justineastwick Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:08 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
justineastwick wrote:Yeah, Cockdiesel said the same thing, but I had already went to the music store to get all of the cables. My daughter likes to play with the piano every now and then, so I'd still need to turn on the MPC to hear it, right? I don't let her touch my MPC Live.

Yes, you would need to have the MPC on. That could be a great teaching and bonding lesson. Show her how to the respect equipment. That's what my father did.

Yeah, I do show her things with the piano. She gravitates to the piano more often that not. She goes crazy with the keys. LOL. She does like to hit the pads, but she uses her nail to press it down and I don't like when she does that. I tell her not do that all the time. LOL.