MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Transparency19 Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:15 am
Hi,

I am considering buying a MPC X, my question is: Can I use this for importing wav files and edit them track by track (length, position, automation, pan, effects...)? Is it possible to mix and master? Are there effects like delay, reverb or compression/EQ adjustments possible? I know there is a Greek guy, who sells some mastering tools for some Akai MPCs.

Thanks so much,

Thorsten
By Elektrobolt Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:19 pm
The MPC X *is* for all intents and purposes, a daw. Every update makes it even more so. It is very capable, indeed. Though I would say that it has certain fields of specialty. It also has specific limitations, that will definitely be felt, depending on usage style.

Once MIDI becomes fully implemented, I would say that MIDI sequencing and sound sampling remain it's main purpose. The sequencer, in particular, will then be killer, IMO.

You can import WAV files, yes. Keep in mind, if you are talking larger files, in terms of space, there is a limit to what can be imported, and there is currently no way to import partial files.

"Edit them track by track", if I understand you correctly, technically yes, but with limitations. It DOES have 8 audio tracks, and that's the current limit.

There are lots of effects and you can do all kinds of mixing, but the above limits still apply.

Another one to keep in mind, since you are interested in audio, is the 2 GB RAM limits, which is not dedicated to sampling. This memory is shared with the entirety of the system. I've seen words and physical evidence that puts the actual usable RAM a bit above half a GB, or so. 600 some MB is often mentioned, though I personally have little interest in the specific number, but you may have more reason for details.

For what I hear (and think I understand) there are likely better suited devices for your purpose.

If I have misunderstood, I apologize in advance.
By Monotremata Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:10 pm
Yeah pretty much I think it CAN be a DAW if you are cool with working within its limitations. I use the software myself (w the MPC Studio) and there is really only one thing stopping me from being able to do 100% of my work in it, and thats plugin delay compensation. The only plugins that work 'correctly' are the built in Akai ones, so you actually wont have that issue with a Live or X, but you also wont be able to use third party plugs or instruments period. Im getting by with just the software though, its making me put my actual synths to use instead of relying on software so its great. With all that said though, you do have the ability to use the X in controller mode, so you can fill up the X and then move the whole project over to the computer to finish and keep going with no loss of features of functionality at all. Editing loops with the hardware and the computer monitor is pretty awesome when its zoom time.

Pretty much once they get the plugins straightened out, I wont really need Logic much any more unless I want to use a specific Logic only instrument (I got alot of EXS and Alchemy libs so). The one thing I can see having to learn to work with are the 4 busses Akai gives us. A 'standard' track for me easily uses like 6. 4 of those are my reverb/delays and the rest are like drum busses/parallel compressing/etc.. Haven't figured out quite how to do that yet without just waiting to do that part in Logic after I bounce out the stems. Im planning on picking up a Live eventually so I can go sit on the couch or out on the porch and work when I want to, and easily jump back and forth to the Mac when its time to do the heavy work.

If youre working strictly standalone though, none of that will even be an issue since you cant use anything but the Akai stuff anyways. If you can live with that and what Elektrobolt already warned you about, I think its a killer DAW for people that get along with the MPCs workflow.
By Yorgos Arabatzis Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:43 pm
Yep that will be me :-D
You can do all of these except Multi-band compression (but i’ve created a custom one) dithering, true peak limiting and audio level analysis (Lufs, momentary/true peak, stereo phase check etc.).All In all you can transform the sound anyway you like..
I’ve been pretty busy with my farms kinda like Led Zeppelin’s John Bonham hehehe :P but in a couple of days harvest season ends and i’ll be focusing on the biggest update yet for my Mastering template that will feature a new vintage tube mode and an exclusive MPC Software version that frees up all the sends/returns.Been working on the demo presentation videos too plus the paid tutorial videos of my YA Mixing & Mastering method in detail..Stay tuned big things are coming!
Transparency19 wrote:Hi,

I am considering buying a MPC X, my question is: Can I use this for importing wav files and edit them track by track (length, position, automation, pan, effects...)? Is it possible to mix and master? Are there effects like delay, reverb or compression/EQ adjustments possible? I know there is a Greek guy, who sells some mastering tools for some Akai MPCs.

Thanks so much,

Thorsten
By Cockdiesel Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:18 am
Dang congrats yorgos , putting in some serious work. Keep it up, seems like your name is getting out there.
By Transparency19 Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:10 am
Thanks so much, all of you :-D !
I appreciate that!

I think budget wise I go for a MPC LIVE. The main "daw" like tools should be identical, or?
I only do small projects right now, 4 to 8 tracks. I think I can live with the limitations :wink:
To get everything about the LIVE, the "bible" should be the right thing to do, I guess. Or some youtube videos.

I just explored my iPad as a "music making device", stumbled over the impc 2 and look what happened? Here I am :worthy:
I did only acoustic projects until now, but I would like to explore new sounds and workflows...I keep going and be very excited of things to come!

If I need help, I'll let you know.

And thanks Yorgos, too! Looking forward to try your stuff!