MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By peterpiper Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:29 pm
Yeah trimming with a coarse and fine fader is a workflow I really would like to have.
Of course by ear and not looking at waveform or numbers.
But........ I wonder how this will be with really long samples. I mean 2.5 sec on an 8-10 cm fader works well but to quickly find the start point of a 10 or even 20 sec sample you'll need to train your fine motor skillz :)
But who knows, he probably have a fix for this like pressing a button to 'zoom into the startpoint' or choose the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th quarter of the sample or simply use 3 fader (very coarse, coarse, fine). At least NOW he got some ideas from me to handle it ;)
The Sound? yeah the sound.......not that bad on the isla but on the other hand, is it really that hard to get a lofi sound with aliasing? I really like the SP1200 for its simplicity, the workflow and the psychological effect (when you sit in front of such an instrument and get zoned just because you know that many of your idols made so damn good beats with this limitated ****). But for just the sound I'm not willin to put a grand down for it. I rather use the free Open Modplug Tracker with its ability to resample and/or use different output algorithms (for example: no interpolation) to get aliasing.
@isla: Do you mind sending me that kenny drums so I can compare your SP2400 to the openMPT?
peace
By Fess Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:37 am
What gap is this filling- The I want it because it's new gap? It looks like ass compared to EMU's masterpiece of design, and there is absolutely nothing new about this- same old tech with an ugly-as-shit aesthetic that looks like DIY project-which it is.
Oh, you can change the sample-rate? Wow, that's innovation for sure. GTFO with this trash... :fku:
By saltmcgault Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:32 pm
Fess wrote:What gap is this filling- The I want it because it's new gap? It looks like ass compared to EMU's masterpiece of design, and there is absolutely nothing new about this- same old tech with an ugly-as-shit aesthetic that looks like DIY project-which it is.
Oh, you can change the sample-rate? Wow, that's innovation for sure. GTFO with this trash... :fku:

You don't like? You don't buy.
By Fess Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:59 pm
Lol I have zero intention of buying any remakes, clones etc.- those are for people who live and work in the past- and make music that reflects that. I left the 90's in the 90's. You should try it.
By saltmcgault Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:34 pm
Fess wrote:Lol I have zero intention of buying any remakes, clones etc.- those are for people who live and work in the past- and make music that reflects that. I left the 90's in the 90's. You should try it.

Instead of following the latest trend and trying to fit in, I will stick to what I like. You should try that.
By Cockdiesel Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:14 pm
Besides it trying to clone the sound of the so, this thing seems to have a lot of other features not found on really any gear. The looper, tr sequencer, the daughter card with 8 separate analog filters, etc.
That said they still haven’t even mentioned much on the midi side of things.
By Fre$hBreath Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:58 am
Fess wrote:What gap is this filling- The I want it because it's new gap? It looks like ass compared to EMU's masterpiece of design, and there is absolutely nothing new about this- same old tech with an **** aesthetic that looks like DIY project-which it is.

You need a hug...
By Cockdiesel Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:09 am
Haha agree. This thing is a lot more than a clone. It really takes drum machines in a new direction. I think it fills a ton of gaps, old heads can get that boom bap sound, it has features no other drum machine has, modern tech and computer connectivity.

I think the guy even said it’s going to have 2 phono preamps, and. Amid preamp, meaning if they do it right this thing could be used as a mixer. I will definitely grab one of these once the dust is settled and before he discontinues them . Unless he royally **** up this might be one of the first modern classics I have seen in awhile, awesome price point to, one a few hundred more than a digitakt, the closest thing to it, and offers way more. Get Charles his Dante and whatever the hell else he can think of and you even have the power users taken care of.
By puffa Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:18 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:No disrespect to the developers at Akai Pro but their SP-1200 effect doesn't have that official aliasing sound that the SP-1200 is famous for.

Yo I'm in agreement in this. Part of the problem is to get the SP-1200 sound the aliasing needs to be at different freqs depending on the sample rate. The Akai effect is always the same sample rate placed over the top of whatever you put it on, but the SPs sample rate changes depending on pitch of each sample.
By Fre$hBreath Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:36 am
puffa wrote:
Fre$hBreath wrote:No disrespect to the developers at Akai Pro but their SP-1200 effect doesn't have that official aliasing sound that the SP-1200 is famous for.

Yo I'm in agreement in this. Part of the problem is to get the SP-1200 sound the aliasing needs to be at different freqs depending on the sample rate. The Akai effect is always the same sample rate placed over the top of whatever you put it on, but the SPs sample rate changes depending on pitch of each sample.

I'm amazed that no software developer has cared enough to properly model the SP-1200. I'm hoping that Mathieu Demange at inphonik will do it. His RX950 plugin is spot on. He really captured the sound and behavior of the Akai S950...

By peterpiper Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:57 pm
puffa wrote:

True. Thats why I don't use 'LoFi' plugins but the OpenMPT Tracker. Aliasing sounds different depending on pitch.