MPC X & MPC Live Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X & MPC Live, Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
User avatar
By Icepulse Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:23 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Anything is usable but they are still toys. If someone wants to produce serious work, they will use serious tools. There's no way around it! A craftsman is only as good as their tools.


I don’t buy that at all. An artist can make a more interesting piece of music with a rusty colander and a cigar-box guitar than some folks can make with a room full of pro gear. Beck’s “Stereopathetic Soulmanure” sounds like it was recorded with an old handheld cassette recorder (which it likely was), but it’s far better than anything he’s done in the last 20 years. Ween’s “Pure Guava” is another example. It’s a masterpiece. The whole thing was done w/ a Tascam 4-Track and a Casiotone. Came out the same year as Prince’s “Love Symbol” album, which is completely forgettable, million-dollar studio ****. Paul Klee took a lot of heat from critics for painting on cardboard and other detritus, but his jewel-like compositions were groundbreaking and his eye was sublime.

It’s not the tools. It’s the creative spirit that turns out truly timeless art.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:10 am
Icepulse wrote:I don’t buy that at all. An artist can make a more interesting piece of music with a rusty colander and a cigar-box guitar than some folks can make with a room full of pro gear. Beck’s “Stereopathetic Soulmanure” sounds like it was recorded with an old handheld cassette recorder (which it likely was), but it’s far better than anything he’s done in the last 20 years. Ween’s “Pure Guava” is another example. It’s a masterpiece. The whole thing was done w/ a Tascam 4-Track and a Casiotone. Came out the same year as Prince’s “Love Symbol” album, which is completely forgettable, million-dollar studio ****. Paul Klee took a lot of heat from
critics for painting on cardboard and other detritus, but his jewel-like compositions were groundbreaking and his eye was sublime.

It’s not the tools. It’s the creative spirit that turns out truly timeless art.


Judging by this statment, you've never been in a room full of PRO GEAR. :nod: Also you said Prince's Love Symbol album was forgettable. Yet, you've mentioned it. :lol: I guess you didn't forget.

"A craftsman is only as good as their tools." Tattoo that on your forearm, with the crappiest needle you can find. Because it's not about the tools right? :lol:
User avatar
By Icepulse Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:45 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Icepulse wrote:I don’t buy that at all. An artist can make a more interesting piece of music with a rusty colander and a cigar-box guitar than some folks can make with a room full of pro gear. Beck’s “Stereopathetic Soulmanure” sounds like it was recorded with an old handheld cassette recorder (which it likely was), but it’s far better than anything he’s done in the last 20 years. Ween’s “Pure Guava” is another example. It’s a masterpiece. The whole thing was done w/ a Tascam 4-Track and a Casiotone. Came out the same year as Prince’s “Love Symbol” album, which is completely forgettable, million-dollar studio ****. Paul Klee took a lot of heat from
critics for painting on cardboard and other detritus, but his jewel-like compositions were groundbreaking and his eye was sublime.

It’s not the tools. It’s the creative spirit that turns out truly timeless art.


Judging by this statment, you've never been in a room full of PRO GEAR. :nod: Also you said Prince's Love Symbol album was forgettable. Yet, you've mentioned it. :lol: I guess you didn't forget.

"A craftsman is only as good as their tools." Tattoo that on your forearm, with the crappiest needle you can find. Because it's not about the tools right? :lol:


It’s forgettable. I had it, but I doubt I could recall the song titles. I only remembered it because I googled “albums from 1992”. Not sure why you can’t respect a conflicting opinion. The ween album is 100x more interesting to me. That’s a fact. Hip Hop was born out of old records and two turntables. Records like “Criminal Minded” have Ced Gee working w/ samplers that held 10 seconds. But this is all academic. You’d have to understand art to get it.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:23 am
Icepulse wrote:It’s forgettable. I had it, but I doubt I could recall the song titles. I only remembered it because I googled “albums from 1992”. Not sure why you can’t respect a conflicting opinion. The ween album is 100x more interesting to me. That’s a fact. Hip Hop was born out of old records and two turntables. Records like “Criminal Minded” have Ced Gee working w/ samplers that held 10 seconds. But this is all academic. You’d have to understand art to get it.


Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis used the same 10 second sampler. Also as far as Hiphop is concerned it was born from Toasting. Look up King Tubby and Daddy U Roy, among others. Not to mention in hiphop it was always about who had the best sound system aka the Best Tools!

The beats had to be banging to be played at the block parties or in the cars. This is one reason why Hiphopper pimp out their sound systems in the car. My OG'S told me, they were trying to sound fly, look fly, and no one was trying to be dirty.
User avatar
By Icepulse Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:39 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Icepulse wrote:It’s forgettable. I had it, but I doubt I could recall the song titles. I only remembered it because I googled “albums from 1992”. Not sure why you can’t respect a conflicting opinion. The ween album is 100x more interesting to me. That’s a fact. Hip Hop was born out of old records and two turntables. Records like “Criminal Minded” have Ced Gee working w/ samplers that held 10 seconds. But this is all academic. You’d have to understand art to get it.


Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis used the same 10 second sampler. Also as far as Hiphop is concerned it was born from Toasting. Look up King Tubby and Daddy U Roy, among others. Not to mention in hiphop it was always about who had the best sound system aka the Best Tools!

The beats had to be banging to be played at the block parties or in the cars. This is one reason why Hiphopper pimp out their sound systems in the car. My OG'S told me, they were trying to sound fly, look fly, and no one was trying to be dirty.


What a drip! What you know about hip hop and a dollar seventy-five will buy me a Snapple, Charles.

You know, I asked myself, last time we butted heads, “Is it me?”.

It ain’t.
User avatar
By EnochLight Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:03 am
Jesus **** man. And just like that, it's done.

Thanks Charles! :lol: :lol: :lol: :fku:

Image


Icepulse wrote:
What a drip! What you know about hip hop and a dollar seventy-five will buy me a Snapple, Charles.

You know, I asked myself, last time we butted heads, “Is it me?”.

It ain’t.


Nah, I'm getting the feeling it aint you either. :wink:
By Eyalc Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:38 am
Well since we’re derailed... and the price of the MPC Live dropped, maybe I’ll buy a backup one, so that I can produce another single like this... that was just released on Friday... across all digital and streaming platforms... that I made in a $250,000 studio LOL.



Haha - Lamp if you have to remove this, do so fam. I’m just messing around getting some promotion in on an apparently derailed thread. :lol:

But follow Blue Soul Ten on Spotify and Instagram and Facebook too. Oh, and follow my dude Surron the Seventh. Dude got BARS.

:lol: :lol:
By CharlesRandolph Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:14 pm
Icepulse wrote:“Mister U-Roy... Mister King Tubby and his dub plates... my OG’s tell me these guys started it all....”


Put your discounted MPC LIVE beef to the side!

The GOD: EYALC is releasing GEMS, to heal your Brain Stem.
Ears of gold, Fingers of Silk, All class the word,
Make it Hot, Keep it Hot, Higher level, Superb.


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/0c73aFDKXl0zxSoBtTglQG

Image
User avatar
By EnochLight Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:59 pm
Well, this just happened. And while it's nice that Akai "officially" stated they plan to update the MPC Live (and Touch) for some time to come, they didn't necessarily say it wasn't being discontinued: :shock: :? :lol:


Image
User avatar
By Bezo Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:06 pm
They've stated that numerous times. I'm not as concerned with an upgraded release if the Live continues to be updated. I'd be more inclined to buy the update at some point expecting them to commit to that product the same way.
User avatar
By Icepulse Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:27 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Judging by this statment, you've never been in a room full of PRO GEAR. :nod:

Oh, Charles. If your current output is the fruit of a pro-gear studio environment, I’ll stick to “Mr. Microphone”, Radio Shack cassette decks, and a goddamn Speak-N-Spell. :lol:

Image
User avatar
By Danoc Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:38 pm
STRAIGHT DOPE-A-LICIOUS!!! Joint is serious heat missile! !! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Eyalc wrote:Well since we’re derailed... and the price of the MPC Live dropped, maybe I’ll buy a backup one, so that I can produce another single like this... that was just released on Friday... across all digital and streaming platforms... that I made in a $250,000 studio LOL.


Haha - Lamp if you have to remove this, do so fam. I’m just messing around getting some promotion in on an apparently derailed thread. :lol:

But follow Blue Soul Ten on Spotify and Instagram and Facebook too. Oh, and follow my dude Surron the Seventh. Dude got BARS.

:lol: :lol: