MPC X & MPC Live Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X & MPC Live, Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
User avatar
By Monotremata Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:46 am
I don't think the SP2400 is even on their radar. Akai's going after anyone and everyone they can get to buy an MPC/Force, it doesn't even matter if you know what a USB cable is, they want THOSE folks to have em heh. The 2400 is gonna hit a niche market (lets face it, even MPC folks are) with folks who already know and have made a choice regardless of Akai's pricing.
User avatar
By Icepulse Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:52 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Icepulse wrote:
Bro... nothing you can say can upset me. Now that I’ve heard your half-baked ****, I only feel pity. It explains the ad hominem, though. No amount of big-ticket studio wizardry could turn your ideas into anything but what they already were; straight up FECES, my guy. I could’ve guessed it by the way you constantly malign anyone that disagrees with you, no matter how civilly they do it. I could cut that insecurity with a spatula. Then you try to drop U-Roy as a way of expressing that you’re hip (I don’t have to look him up, by the way), then you express total ignorance about hip hop culture. It’s laughable. You’re so bland, if you were a popsicle, your flavor would be “plain”. You have a big mouth, but nothing to back it up. I’ll never go away, either. So keep digging, toy.


Someone's upset! Typing a wall of words with no formatting. (Clue One) :lol: Only the weak minded take offense to facts. How do you ever improve, if you don't listen to sound advice? Example, I only know the basics of about REASONS. So I ask as many questions from people who actually use it.

Educate me. School me. Tell me what you know. I don't take offense to it. I learn from it and enjoy it. I'm 100% about continued education. Chances are this is what holds back your music. When your unwilling to unlearn, what you've learned in order to improve. Empty glasses are filled.


Let's clear the air.

• You posted this:

"Anything is usable but they are still toys. If someone wants to produce serious work, they will use serious tools. There's no way around it! A craftsman is only as good as their tools".

• My first post was this comment:

"I don’t buy that at all. An artist can make a more interesting piece of music with a rusty colander and a cigar-box guitar than some folks can make with a room full of pro gear. Beck’s “Stereopathetic Soulmanure” sounds like it was recorded with an old handheld cassette recorder (which it likely was), but it’s far better than anything he’s done in the last 20 years. Ween’s “Pure Guava” is another example. It’s a masterpiece. The whole thing was done w/ a Tascam 4-Track and a Casiotone. Came out the same year as Prince’s “Love Symbol” album, which is completely forgettable, million-dollar studio ****. Paul Klee took a lot of heat from critics for painting on cardboard and other detritus, but his jewel-like compositions were groundbreaking and his eye was sublime.

It’s not the tools. It’s the creative spirit that turns out truly timeless art."

• Your immediate response was this:


"Judging by this statment, you've never been in a room full of PRO GEAR. :nod:"

Your first impulse is to make an assumption, and take a shot. Then you decided you were going to school me about artists I'm perfectly familiar with. Jimmy Jam / Terry Lewis, U-Roy, King Tubby, etc., and then tell me what what "hip hop was always about", which is completely wrong. For starters, the best "sound system" is NOT the "best tools". JJ/TL had access to sound boards, guitars, basses, amps, pedals, synths, workstations, etc. Not to mention having access to Prince. Young hip hop artists had nothing like this.. often just a single sampler unit (if that), and little more.

Now, it's "Only the weak minded take offense to facts." Oh, I'm sorry... did you drop any?

Then, "How do you ever improve, if you don't listen to sound advice?". For starters, did you give any? Secondly, I tend to "take advice" from folks that have exhibited legitimate skill or knowledge. You've shown neither. In fact, from what I've seen (and heard), you might do well to take your own advice; not just talk about it. You assert your maxim "A craftsman is only as good as their tools", but never consider that artist & craftsman are two different things, and not mutually exclusive. Not everyone is out to achieve the same sound that you seem to pursue, nor to dip their toes into each and every kind of genre.
I have toys that I'm convinced I can use, exclusively, to make better music than you. Not "cleaner", not "more complex"... just BETTER. Some won't agree, and it's "subjective", so how on earth can you claim to be in the position to school anyone? You make a lot of assumptions, and snap judgments. Maybe you should consider, for a moment, that you're not as informed and scholarly as you think you are.

Nothing's holding me back, Charles, and you're misinformed if you think I am. In fact, I may just find time to make you the subject of a nice, new rap, very soon.

Huh. Maybe you did inspire me, after all.

Oh, and for the record, yeah. I was there. I was in the same HS w/ Brand Nubian, at the same time. You do the math.
By Unreallystic Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:52 pm
Danoc wrote:Unrealistic you can get Keyscape for 4 or 5 easy payments from Sweet water or Musicians Friends. You won't have to spemd $379 all at one time.

Some where down the line lm going to get that new Fantom. It has the pitch bends l want and mod wheel present. Ive always wanted a keyboard like that. Its sick! Ima see if its really built good

I'm not worried about the cost of Keyscape, just trying to live in what I have now. Eventually I will get both Keyscape and Omnisphere, as it stands my plug-in game is SUPER weak, I got the top of the line Komplete 12 Collectors, but nothing else exciting or even "standard". I bought Halftime, I got but have never used the stuff Akai gave me for my MPD and my MPC, too frustrated with the iLok's and ****, I'm trying to reduce headaches more than deal with logging in or having dongles (I eventually quit using Reason at all, because my Balance started causing USB issues). So both of those are on my "eventually" list, but for now I'm just letting Komplete breathe while I poach it for all the money I paid, and practice with my outboard gear (finally got serious about learning piano after messing around with it for Music Theory reasons). Most likely my next "plug-in" purchase will be ironically updating Reason 11 *har*.

And I'm trying to escape the Sweetwater vortex, I owe them way too much money, thanks to everything sitting in my studio. I'm almost done paying off my Peak (SamAsh), and guitar Center has gotten ancy that I've been debt free from them for so long haha.

Oh and who ever has the "White Men Can't Jump" fanny pack, on the low that's dope haha. I'f I was a regular-sized individual I would straight up and down have a fanny pack to keep pocket operators in. I bought a small camera bag for that purpose that goes on your belt, but its just not *right*.
- Unreall
User avatar
By Danoc Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:25 pm
Ok l hear ya. At least your getting R11. Im going for the R11 Suite.
If you get Keyscape and Omnisphere get the box version. No dongle you get a card that looks like a credit card. I haven't gotten Keyscape yet but after getting Plugin Guru's "KOLOURS" l have to get it just to use it. He did a fantastic job on the Sound Bank. I have fantastic keyboards already,Eastwest Pianos and True Pianos.

I hope you get what you bro.

Peace


Unreallystic wrote:
Danoc wrote:Unrealistic you can get Keyscape for 4 or 5 easy payments from Sweet water or Musicians Friends. You won't have to spemd $379 all at one time.

Some where down the line lm going to get that new Fantom. It has the pitch bends l want and mod wheel present. Ive always wanted a keyboard like that. Its sick! Ima see if its really built good

I'm not worried about the cost of Keyscape, just trying to live in what I have now. Eventually I will get both Keyscape and Omnisphere, as it stands my plug-in game is SUPER weak, I got the top of the line Komplete 12 Collectors, but nothing else exciting or even "standard". I bought Halftime, I got but have never used the stuff Akai gave me for my MPD and my MPC, too frustrated with the iLok's and ****, I'm trying to reduce headaches more than deal with logging in or having dongles (I eventually quit using Reason at all, because my Balance started causing USB issues). So both of those are on my "eventually" list, but for now I'm just letting Komplete breathe while I poach it for all the money I paid, and practice with my outboard gear (finally got serious about learning piano after messing around with it for Music Theory reasons). Most likely my next "plug-in" purchase will be ironically updating Reason 11 *har*.

And I'm trying to escape the Sweetwater vortex, I owe them way too much money, thanks to everything sitting in my studio. I'm almost done paying off my Peak (SamAsh), and guitar Center has gotten ancy that I've been debt free from them for so long haha.

Oh and who ever has the "White Men Can't Jump" fanny pack, on the low that's dope haha. I'f I was a regular-sized individual I would straight up and down have a fanny pack to keep pocket operators in. I bought a small camera bag for that purpose that goes on your belt, but its just not *right*.
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:14 pm
Icepulse wrote:]Your first impulse is to make an assumption, and take a shot. Then you decided you were going to school me about artists I'm perfectly familiar with. Jimmy Jam / Terry Lewis, U-Roy, King Tubby, etc., and then tell me what what "hip hop was always about", which is completely wrong. For starters, the best "sound system" is NOT the "best tools". JJ/TL had access to sound boards, guitars, basses, amps, pedals, synths, workstations, etc. Not to mention having access to Prince. Young hip hop artists had nothing like this.. often just a single sampler unit (if that), and little more.


1. People have access to a library. In a library there are books. Some of those books are about music theory and sound engineering. Grab them, read them, and apply them.

2. If hip hopper had samplers, speakers, records, and turntables. That meant there was some kind of music store right? People work there, right? Ask them question. Knowledge is not given it must be searched for.

3. The Youth could've gone to a place called church. Were they could learn to sing and play instruments. That's where Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Miles Davis, Sallie Martin, Quincy Jones, Albertina Walker, Thomas A Dorsey, learned music.. I could go on.

I have toys that I'm convinced I can use, exclusively, to make better music than you. Not "cleaner", not "more complex"... just BETTER. Some won't agree, and it's "subjective", so how on earth can you claim to be in the position to school anyone? You make a lot of assumptions, and snap judgments. Maybe you should consider, for a moment, that you're not as informed and scholarly as you think you are.


1. Better music? Music is not a competition.

2. I admit I'm not as informed, I'm constantly learning and improving everyday.


Oh, and for the record, yeah. I was there. I was in the same HS w/ Brand Nubian, at the same time. You do the math.

So what you're saying is, after all this time of doing music. What you currently make, is the best you can do? Why is that? How can you improve it?


Nothing's holding me back, Charles, and you're misinformed if you think I am. In fact, I may just find time to make you the subject of a nice, new rap, very soon.

You said, I MAY and FIND THE TIME. Tip: There is no MAY and you MAKE THE TIME. Your own language shows you're holding back. In fact, you should've wrote some rhymes instead of typing this message. FOCUS!

Also, Don't write rhymes about me, write songs that express your feelings. Songs that can help people. Songs that give hope. Songs that frees the mind from stress. Songs that build new worlds and new ideas. You writing about me, is a reflection of what you feel about yourself. :smoker: I can write BATTLE raps all day long, big deal! It's easy to tear someone down.


Danoc wrote:Ok l hear ya. At least your getting R11. Im going for the R11 Suite.
If you get Keyscape and Omnisphere get the box version. No dongle you get a card that looks like a credit card. I haven't gotten Keyscape yet but after getting Plugin Guru's "KOLOURS" l have to get it just to use it. He did a fantastic job on the Sound Bank. I have fantastic keyboards already,Eastwest Pianos and True Pianos.

@DANOC @UNREAL

Keyscape has some nice sounds. I'm going to order the ORICO Docking Station. (As pictured below)
Then transfer all my sound set to their own dedicated SSD. Since the Full Keyscape version is: 70 GB's. This will work well.

Image
By CharlesRandolph Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:47 pm
Icepulse wrote:What a **** idiot. Anything but to say “yeah... I was a bit of a dick with my response”.

Good thing it’s not a competition, because Charles is much better at **** than music.


That's because my response were not meant with ill intent.


P.S. How are those rhymes coming along. Can't wait to hear them. When you finish the song, send it over and I'll master it for you. $75 dollars out the door. I'll make it gritty, dirty, grimy, like it was recorded in cardboard box using a headphones as a mic. :lol: Let's get back on topic please.
User avatar
By Icepulse Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:56 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Icepulse wrote:What a **** idiot. Anything but to say “yeah... I was a bit of a dick with my response”.

Good thing it’s not a competition, because Charles is much better at **** than music.


That's because my response were not meant with ill intent.


P.S. How are those rhymes coming along. Can't wait to hear them. When you finish the song, send it over and I'll master it for you. $75 dollars out the door. I'll make it gritty, dirty, grimy, like it was recorded in cardboard box using a headphones as a mic. :lol: Let's get back on topic please.


I wouldn’t trust you to master a voicemail, Charles.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:03 pm
Icepulse wrote:I wouldn’t trust you to master a voicemail, Charles.

Is that how you record your vocals, over VOICEMAIL? :lol: Akai Pro should release a Voice Mail effect inside the MPC.

Press 1 for Dirty.
Press 2 for Real HipHop.
Press 3 for Bucket Hats.
Press 4 for break beats and loops
Press 5 for Instant mastering
Press 6 for Keep it Real
Press 7 for I'm just vising the culture
Press 8 for Fanny Packs
Press 9 for Extra Dirty Dirty Lo Fi
Press 0 for Getting back on Topic.
By Cockdiesel Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:28 pm
I wouldn’t change much, maybe the knobs to scribble strips and of course putting the live screen on there. I’d make a few models from the 61 down to a battery operated akai mini ak size.
There would have to something special about it for me to get it. Not just changing the user interface directly from a Mpc.
My little wish list would be analog filters, and the sound engine from mini al as well. It’s dope just wack to program with all the menu diving. It’s not terrible but this could streamline the **** outta it. Of course the newer akai “plugins” including hype. Def better ram specs and hopefully the Mpc software gets a big sampling update.
User avatar
By Bezo Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:13 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:This is the Advance 61. Do you think the next MPC will be similar to this? If so how would you change the layout.


Image
I think Akai should follow Native Instruments in this regard; make the Advance & Live/X work in tandem, controlling the software. But the Live's guts in a keyboard?. That would be tight.

Add 8 more pads
Relocate the buttons to make room for similar size screen
Make sure it has at least the same buttons, knobs & I/O the Live has
More RAM
25-37 (portable w/battery), 49 (in between version) & 61 (X version) key versions
61/X version could have the pitch & mod wheel to the left of the keys, adding room for more buttons/knobs
Mirror session of attached Live/X

But personally, I want the Advance as more of a compliment, doing things the Live can't, but with the ability to control the software.