MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Cockdiesel Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:08 pm
It’s basically to be able to play two tracks at once you might be to do funky stuff with differnt midi boxes but the basics would be with one controller- pads for controlling one track while keys would control another track.

What lamp describes is quickly being able to scroll through your tracks wit( multiple boxes.

Like play drums, play chords then scroll to the next midi track and lay down a baseline scroll again for a lead. You can configure it all types of ways for your work flow.
By Bezo Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:19 pm
40Beatz wrote:Ok guys forgive me for being Naïve...Can you describe to me...in a Studio environment.. how would you Need Multi Midi on the Input? I can see it on stage, it might be helpful. But im just trying to grasp the idea of using it in a Studio Environment
Because the Sequencer on the Out...has Multi Midi.
Many synths have sequencers. If you want to send Arps from 2 different synths, for example, you're probably out of luck.
By Lampdog Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:50 pm
Also split keyboard, bass low, piano mid to high. Bass and piano can have diff midi channels going into 4k if I want. That could be a simultaneous play if I need.
By Elektrobolt Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:45 am
40Beatz wrote:Ok guys forgive me for being Naïve...Can you describe to me...in a Studio environment.. how would you Need Multi Midi on the Input? I can see it on stage, it might be helpful. But im just trying to grasp the idea of using it in a Studio Environment
Because the Sequencer on the Out...has Multi Midi.

You really cannot see any reason for this, at all? Why do you think that there are USB MIDI interfaces with up to 16 MIDI ports, yes in (and out)? For live use? Well, here's why I want it, expected it, and need it...

I often play multiple parts at the same time, well obviously not with the X, but when I used a DAW, simply because while I am into it, I think it makes for better, more musical results. I have a lot of synthesizers (and other MIDI equipment) and I have the ability to play multiple keyboards at the same time and during a stretch. Right now, without a DAW (I used Cubase and BitWig), there is significantly less creativity during a session. Even my grand daughter agrees that it's not "the same" when I record one-by-one. She's nine and often plays along while I record, makes it livelier and less "formal" for me too. I sometimes used to record her playing too, and I also cannot do that now.

Whether this would penetrates your naivetes I cannot say, but this is something I think any "standalone" "MIDI studio centerpiece" ought to be able to do. Especially when earlier models could do it. There is all the implications that was the plan all along. Maybe you should ask Akai, and a different question, what was the reason for putting two MIDI in ports on the machine in the first place? Habit?
By BeatWilson Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:45 pm
Yes it is very useful. What if your are Collabing? Cause with people having a jam session you can get great results. especially if your recording then take sections of the long recording you like. It is pretty damn useful in a musical environment and can create great results.
By Monotremata Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:37 pm
Ive got two hardware sequencers (Korg SQ-1 and BeatStep Pro) that do simple things like Glide the MPC cant, plus killer arpeggiators in both Waldorfs and my EIV sampler. If I want to run two or more of them at once, thats a no go for getting it into the MPC. Id have to do it one track at a time, and I would have to turn off the ones I didnt want to record so it didnt get merged into the track Im recording on.

I still cant believe that the devs somehow didnt think anyone would want to do this with the damn MIDI PRODUCTION CENTER. Yeah yeah, Music Production Center nowadays, but even after it was redubbed that, the damn thing was still a sequencer first and foremost! That was its strength, the sampler was never worth a shit in that thing even now.
By Danoc Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:58 am
And this why l want tha new Fantom. One sound have 4 layers, each sound can be layered 16 of them. Lets do the math.

64 layers Gawd dammm! :shock:
By mpresev Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:24 pm
no wonder I can't sequence 16 parts midi via Logic. I was going to use the X as a sound module but.

Monotremata wrote:
fvwelsh wrote:Been reading lots of forum postings, some made long ago, regarding the lack of mulit-timbral operation of the Live/X. So why hasn't this happened yet? Are you kidding me?

If you are talking about multi-timbral MIDI..
Its because for some strange reason Akai didnt think people would want to use it for multi-timbral MIDI operation (yes Ive actually seen Dan say this exact thing on Gearslutz). On top of that, changing the underlying code probably isn't just something like 'Oh just add this line, flip this switch and turn it on'.. We've all seen how they botched their track layout from the beginning following the old MPC way, and in order to 'fix' it and bring it up to a more modern 1:1 track layout design, requires a rewrite of the code. That shit isn't easy. You see how many problems they have when they actually took a few years and did it 'properly'. There is no way I would want someone to throw together a rewrite of the MIDI/Audio engine and just release it without making 150% sure that thing was not going to piss everybody off and break again. That just doesn't happen like that with ANY product or ANY company.
By Hideous mutant Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:15 am
mpresev wrote:no wonder I can't sequence 16 parts midi via Logic. I was going to use the X as a sound module but.

This topic is from 2019, after firmware v2.8 the midi routing capabilities got a lot better.

You need to set the tracks (shift+main or the eye icon and midi tab) to receive midi input from their correct channels and ports. More info in the user manual Addenda section.
By Lampdog Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:17 am
Hideous mutant wrote:
This topic is from 2019, after firmware v2.8 the midi routing capabilities got a lot better.

You need to set the tracks (shift+main or the eye icon and midi tab) to receive midi input from their correct channels and ports. More info in the user manual Addenda section.

This
By Monotremata Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:36 am
Hideous mutant wrote:
mpresev wrote:no wonder I can't sequence 16 parts midi via Logic. I was going to use the X as a sound module but.

Tried telling him the same thing when he quoted my 2 year old post on Gearslutz too but nobody listened just like nobody reads the manual or pays attention to the release notes when we got this update ages ago.
By Lampdog Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:22 pm
Quoting yrs old posts is a fail right off the bat almost all the time.
Just like not reading updated manuals and addendums.
By Ultros Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:08 pm
I'm happy to see the progression in this post from cant to can. :D the mpc keeps getting better and better.
By Monotremata Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:31 pm
Ultros wrote:I'm happy to see the progression in this post from cant to can. :D the mpc keeps getting better and better.

It still dont make my damn coffee for me though!
By Ultros Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:41 pm
it also doesn't have a can opener which i find unacceptable.