MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By optik415 Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:20 am
I know it's possible on the software but does this work on standalone?

Say I have a sample with 20 chops. Instead of bouncing back to bank A & B is there a way I can map my midi controller to the pads so I can play all my 20 chops on my keyboard instead of switching banks with the actual 16 pads?

I hope I'm making sense lol. Any help would be great
By optik415 Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:38 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Yea you can map across the banks of a program. Might have to set up a template as drum programs are mapped weird.

And this can be done in standalone?
By optik415 Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:27 pm
How do I actually do this lol?
By CharlesRandolph Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:47 pm
What drum controller do you have?

I know if you use let's say a MPC 2000XL and MPC 4000 all you have to do is run the MIDI Out A of the MPC 2000XL into a MPC 4000 MIDI IN. Then on the MPC 2000XL select an 1A midi track and it works.

So if you have drums on Bank A and sounds on Bank B on the MPC 4000. Just click bank B on the 2000XL and it will play all the bank b sounds on the MPC 4000. Then on the MPC 4000, just select Bank A and play the drums.
Now you're playing sounds on one mpc and drums on the other.

If you have an Akai Pro controller this make work the same.
By Monotremata Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:50 pm
You might have to set it up in the software.. Theres a 'controller mode' setup screen in the software that lets you change the mappings of the pads/buttons/etc on the Studio, and I THINK that's where you would do it for the Live and X. Not sure how to get into that on the hardware though.

It can be done though, the pads are just mapped weird for drum programs. Theyre still just regular old MIDI notes same as usual.
By Cockdiesel Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:55 pm
controller mode is in standalone too..... I have used my keys to trigger drum pads but have yet to set up a program based around it. It's just not a part of my workflow really, but I am sure it can be done and in standalone, just might be tedious switching all the pads to the right key. I am also assuming it works the same way as it would in the software. not a mpc software user other than to track out my keygroups on a better (imo) soundcard. there is also a midi learn function that might be better suited for this as well.

you can always take those samples and make a keygroup with them.... you can make keygroups in standalone too. go into program edit, hit the key you want and scroll the to the sample you want. this is assuming you have your chops each saved as a sample.

there are a few ways to achieve this in standalone on the mpc. its up to you to decide what will be the best way for you.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:10 pm
Have you tried it with your FORCE to play the mpc live pads?

Cockdiesel wrote:controller mode is in standalone too..... I have used my keys to trigger drum pads but have yet to set up a program based around it. It's just not a part of my workflow really, but I am sure it can be done and in standalone, just might be tedious switching all the pads to the right key. I am also assuming it works the same way as it would in the software. not a mpc software user other than to track out my keygroups on a better (imo) soundcard. there is also a midi learn function that might be better suited for this as well.

you can always take those samples and make a keygroup with them.... you can make keygroups in standalone too. go into program edit, hit the key you want and scroll the to the sample you want. this is assuming you have your chops each saved as a sample.

there are a few ways to achieve this in standalone on the mpc. its up to you to decide what will be the best way for you.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:50 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:I haven't but I will check it out before i sell it, just ripping some keygroups off it it before I unload it. sucks losing a couple hundred bucks...

Do you not like the Force? With the song mode and ableton intergration, it seems like more is about to to happen with it.
By Cockdiesel Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:31 pm
no it's fine but for my workflow its way more than a overkill. I just want to make my beats and export to ableton.... the new synth is really dope and I love how stream lined the sampling is but I get way more done with just the live + a keyboard, sequencing and tracking back into it. In no way am I selling it because I don't like it or it sucks but I just don't need it. Just trying to streamline my workflow, not complicate it more with extra boxes.

as weird as it sounds I am having more fun and getting more done with just the live and the akai mini ak right now.... perfect for eachother, just wish the miniak was easier to program and updated a bit.