MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Eightysix69 Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:56 pm
Hey y'all, I don't sample often but I want to get into it. I've got a 2kXL and a Live, thinking about getting some old cassettes and a turntable and sampling some old stuff. Anyway, what's the deal with pitching samples? I've heard in many YouTube videos people talking about pitching up or pitching down a drum sample, or doing both to add to the sound or grit of the sample. Is this true and how do I do this exactly? I'm curious what MPC pros do to their samples to get that old school boom bap sound on their drums, besides the obvious vinyl and an old S950 or 3K. Thanks for any and all tips. :smoker:
By Lampdog Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:25 pm
Speed up vinyl, sample that into MPC.
In MPC tune down that sample back to normal speed.
It will have a dirtier sound.

Back when samplers had WAY less memory this is how
they saved space/memory and could actually sample more. It also ended up sound REALLY good.

I have a lot of cassettes and this cd/tape deck combo. It has cd pitch & tape speed controls.
It's exactly the same concept as the old school sped up vinyl trick to....

1. Get more samples in memory.
2. Get a dirtier sound for samples.

By 40Beatz Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:51 pm

I use This Joint right here. Gemini MDJ1000. Good for Scratchin, Pitchin Samples +/-.

Reads everything. CDs, USB, SD Card, etc