MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:31 am
boomspot wrote:I just copped a 16" MacBook Pro which shipped with Catalina, so yeah, it's definitely an end-user problem since I can't run the MPC software on my laptop. Akai has had access to the Catalina beta since June 2019 (5+ months). Maybe they'll do us a solid and update before Xmas?
B

So you spent $2399 and didn't bother to check if it was compatible. (end-user problem). Also you did not state it was the new 16 Macbook Pro. You posted this, stating you did not turn of auto update.

Off topic:
just bought a new Mac... didn't think to turn off auto update, and CANNOT downgrade... Legitimate problem and one Akai should care about. They apparently don't.

Lesson: never buy the latest and greatest, Especially MAC. Because they are notoriously known for sending out developer kits. Then release the final version and they changed thing that breaks what the developer coded. This is why many developers wait, until the full retail version is out. Hold Tight!

JeriKo Jackson wrote:After years of updates from Apple everyone knows the deal. Most old school producers always have a system that is not updated. I have 2 laptop environments one of which I never f*** with. Why? Cause it has no issues and always works.

Also, before you got a new Mac you could have easily checked if Catalina was supported. Anyway 2.7 will in all likelihood address this.

+2000
By boomspot Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:00 am
My post was my first on this subject, I probably shouldn't have picked up on your earlier conversation. Haha. Yeah, I grabbed the new 16" Macbook Pro knowing some apps won't be compatible (Pro Tools, UAD ...) I'm just pointing it out and wondering if anyone knows when to expect an update from Akai.
By boomspot Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:21 am
JeriKo Jackson wrote:
boomspot wrote:I just copped a 16" MacBook Pro which shipped with Catalina, so yeah, it's definitely an end-user problem since I can't run the MPC software on my laptop. Akai has had access to the Catalina beta since June 2019 (5+ months). Maybe they'll do us a solid and update before Xmas?
B

After years of updates from Apple everyone knows the deal. Most old school producers always have a system that is not updated. I have 2 laptop environments one of which I never f*** with. Why? Cause it has no issues and always works.

Also, before you got a new Mac you could have easily checked if Catalina was supported. Anyway 2.7 will in all likelihood address this.

Yeah, I have systems running Mojave and Windows 10, just wondering about Catalina support.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:13 am
boomspot wrote:My post was my first on this subject, I probably shouldn't have picked up on your earlier conversation. Haha. Yeah, I grabbed the new 16" Macbook Pro knowing some apps won't be compatible (Pro Tools, UAD ...) I'm just pointing it out and wondering if anyone knows when to expect an update from Akai.

I say give til Jan/Feb 2020 because of the new MAC PRO.
By JeriKo Jackson Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:33 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:I say give til Jan/Feb 2020 because of the new MAC PRO.

Funny I said old school producers in reference to the modern DAW era which is nearly 20 years old. Damn I'm getting old in the tooth!

CMON though let's be optimistic. I expect it before the holidays. That will make 4 substantial updates this year. That would also be keeping the general timeline Dan hinted at sometime late last year iirc.

Apologies to the OP if I came off rude... I misinterpreted your post I think.
By bees80 Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:34 am
There is a solution but this will take you an afternoon and possibly, a pinch of frustration..

I believe it's possible to download older OS versions via apple. If not, the internet can be resourcefull for this. Make an bootable USB stick, format your mac and install the older macOS. There are loads of articles out there that can guide you hand-by-hand to do this.

When akai finally updates suport for the new os, you can update your macos.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:36 pm
I say Jan/Feb because NAMM 2020 is January 16-19 and the new MAC PRO is suppose to ship this month. Let's not forget Akai Pro's other gear that they need drivers for.

JeriKo Jackson wrote:Funny I said old school producers in reference to the modern DAW era which is nearly 20 years old. Damn I'm getting old in the tooth!

CMON though let's be optimistic. I expect it before the holidays. That will make 4 substantial updates this year. That would also be keeping the general timeline Dan hinted at sometime late last year iirc.

Apologies to the OP if I came off rude... I misinterpreted your post I think.
By morph860 Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:39 pm
The only Akai product I've had a problem with on Catalina is the installer for the MPC Driver. The MPC firmware upgrader, the MPC software, the VST's, and the Expansion Packs all installed & work fine for me. If you install the driver on an older Mac and save the .kext file, you can drag-drop that .kext file into the drivers folder on the new Mac and everything should work just fine. I have the .kext file for the Live and X available. Shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I can zip it up and send you a copy. It's a very easy process to get it saved in the right place.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:08 pm
morph860 wrote:The only Akai product I've had a problem with on Catalina is the installer for the MPC Driver. The MPC firmware upgrader, the MPC software, the VST's, and the Expansion Packs all installed & work fine for me. If you install the driver on an older Mac and save the .kext file, you can drag-drop that .kext file into the drivers folder on the new Mac and everything should work just fine. I have the .kext file for the Live and X available. Shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I can zip it up and send you a copy. It's a very easy process to get it saved in the right place.

That work around! :nod:
By TheFlowState Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:49 pm
morph860 wrote:The only Akai product I've had a problem with on Catalina is the installer for the MPC Driver. The MPC firmware upgrader, the MPC software, the VST's, and the Expansion Packs all installed & work fine for me. If you install the driver on an older Mac and save the .kext file, you can drag-drop that .kext file into the drivers folder on the new Mac and everything should work just fine. I have the .kext file for the Live and X available. Shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I can zip it up and send you a copy. It's a very easy process to get it saved in the right place.

So I read this yesterday and it's what made me decide to get the new macbook pro 16 (Catalina pre-installed). However, I haven't gotten one single download from my account to actually install. Even instruments like Loom (when only the 64-bit AAU is chosen) error out because they're trying to write content to the system volume.

Worse still, when I try to install MPC 2.6 for Mac, this happens:

I'm debating taking the macbook back at this point. I am a dev and understand the switch to 64bit, but it's kinda nutty to me that not one single download works. I can't even use my Live in controller mode just to move files.

If I figure out how to make your workaround work for me, I'll update with steps.
By morph860 Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:55 pm
TheFlowState wrote:

So I read this yesterday and it's what made me decide to get the new macbook pro 16 (Catalina pre-installed). However, I haven't gotten one single download from my account to actually install. Even instruments like Loom (when only the 64-bit AAU is chosen) error out because they're trying to write content to the system volume.

Worse still, when I try to install MPC 2.6 for Mac, this happens:

I'm debating taking the macbook back at this point. I am a dev and understand the switch to 64bit, but it's kinda nutty to me that not one single download works. I can't even use my Live in controller mode just to move files.

If I figure out how to make your workaround work for me, I'll update with steps.

Try to install the 2.5 software from the Akai site. And then use the "Check for updates" after you have 2.5 installed. Did your installer for Loom fail because it wasn't compatible, or because you need to approve permissions?
By mdpinder Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:56 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:

That work around! :nod:

Anyone have a similar workaround for an Akai Studio?

I'll love you forever if you doooooo

<3
By TheFlowState Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:56 am
morph860 wrote:
Try to install the 2.5 software from the Akai site. And then use the "Check for updates" after you have 2.5 installed. Did your installer for Loom fail because it wasn't compatible, or because you need to approve permissions?

I got the MPC installer to work by manually running a line in the terminal to give it permissions or some such. I still haven't been able to install a single VST (even 64bit ones). All of them fail with an error about the installer trying to write to system data.

From what I've read, it's fallout from file system changes (beyond dropping 32-bit support). If I somehow knew how to get at the files inside the installer, I could manually install the x64 VST. But alas. I'm a programmer and dev ops guy, but have no experience in audio software.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:36 am
TheFlowState wrote:I got the MPC installer to work by manually running a line in the terminal to give it permissions or some such. I still haven't been able to install a single VST (even 64bit ones). All of them fail with an error about the installer trying to write to system data.

From what I've read, it's fallout from file system changes (beyond dropping 32-bit support). If I somehow knew how to get at the files inside the installer, I could manually install the x64 VST. But alas. I'm a programmer and dev ops guy, but have no experience in audio software.

As a programmer can you update the MPC 4000 USB DRIVER for Windows 10? If not can you direct me to some people who could?