MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By idk973 Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:51 pm
Hi, this topic has surely been treated sorry for that but just an advice of pros.
All the expansion stuff are fully processed with comp eq and all of that and it seems very difficult to work with because of that.
I've started to sample and chop my own drums from various vinyls and i'd like to know how you make your drums a little fatter within the mpc, during the creation process. I've heard several techniques like doubling the kick with a low filter on the second, or layering a 808 or 909 with the breakbeat etc.. What's your method before the mixing process to got a serious drum library with punchy stuffs ?
By 40Beatz Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:18 pm
I make my own Drum Programs....With Previews and all.

I'll either build on the Pre-loaded DrumKits, or Chop up Drum Breaks, Tweak, Tweak and Tweak, then save it as a Custom Program
By peterpiper Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:35 pm
Most of my drumsamples (Breaks or single drums mostly from vinyl) are saved just as they are without any processing so I'm 'free' to use them for whatever.
Most of the processing is done while I progam the track. The line between programming and mixing is very blurry in my workflow.
As you already said there are many ways to sculpture a sample to the needs. Instead of useing the 'duplicate the sample and put a lopass filter on the 2nd' method you can also just EQ one sample or put a HiPass filter on it and set the Cutoff to something like 50H and raise the resonance.
Layer different kiks (or the same kick with a different pitch) is also a nice technique but you have to pay attention on the pitch of the two (or more) samples cause the tune should be harmonic.
Just a little example:
Program a drumpattern as you like
Then duplicate the kick and pitch the new kicksample -2, -5, -7 or -12 semintones.
Then use a lopass on the that kick.
Turn down the volume of the 2nd kick completely, hit play and raise the 2nd kick till your satisfied.

peace
By Unreallystic Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:14 pm
On PC w/ my DAWs, I actually keep my drum sounds SUPER simple as kicks are usually layered with an 808 or similar bass sound, snares are layered with claps making them unique just by selection, and hits are typically altered by just track specific tuning. That can change a little with styling, but when I leave the electronic and trap stylings, I tend to use sampled drumsets that I don't want to layer too much anyways (I'll add a hard hitting kick for those buts thats usually it).

On the MPC, when I was using it heavily (standalone), I often used (2) or (3) drum kits, with one functioning as my main sounds, and a second functioning as the fattener and sonic alternates, and the *sometimes* (3) being me going overboard on layering and becoming to heavy handed with percussion, leaving no room for anything else *har har, but hey, you have to be honest with yourself with these things*

I rarely put a ton of effort into custom drumsets, I very much fit things together when building a song, or keep everything from a single break together. I always go back and forth on the true value of it at the end of the day.
- Unreall
By saltmcgault Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:26 pm
peterpiper wrote:Most of my drumsamples (Breaks or single drums mostly from vinyl) are saved just as they are without any processing so I'm 'free' to use them for whatever.
Most of the processing is done while I progam the track. The line between programming and mixing is very blurry in my workflow.
As you already said there are many ways to sculpture a sample to the needs. Instead of useing the 'duplicate the sample and put a lopass filter on the 2nd' method you can also just EQ one sample or put a HiPass filter on it and set the Cutoff to something like 50H and raise the resonance.
Layer different kiks (or the same kick with a different pitch) is also a nice technique but you have to pay attention on the pitch of the two (or more) samples cause the tune should be harmonic.
Just a little example:
Program a drumpattern as you like
Then duplicate the kick and pitch the new kicksample -2, -5, -7 or -12 semintones.
Then use a lopass on the that kick.
Turn down the volume of the 2nd kick completely, hit play and raise the 2nd kick till your satisfied.

peace

interesting. I may just give this a whirl. Thanks! :smoker:
By Lampdog Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:08 pm
Unreallystic wrote:On PC w/ my DAWs, I actually keep my drum sounds SUPER simple.......
kicks are usually layered......
snares are layered with claps.........
- Unreall

I’ve been doing this forever and 15 days.

2 snares + 3 claps.
Clap1 = left
Clap2 = center
Clap3 = right.

Nudge clap1 two tick ahead of snare.
Nudge clap3 two ticks behind snare.

All snares and claps are mono samples.
Separate high pass on snares.
Separate high pass on claps.

Sprinkle to taste, serve when ready.
By saltmcgault Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:58 pm
Lampdog wrote:
Unreallystic wrote:On PC w/ my DAWs, I actually keep my drum sounds SUPER simple.......
kicks are usually layered......
snares are layered with claps.........
- Unreall

I’ve been doing this forever and 15 days.

2 snares + 3 claps.
Clap1 = left
Clap2 = center
Clap3 = right.

Nudge clap1 two tick ahead of snare.
Nudge clap3 two ticks behind snare.

All snares and claps are mono samples.
Separate high pass on snares.
Separate high pass on claps.

Sprinkle to taste, serve when ready.

man you guys have all kinds of tricks in your bag
By Bezo Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:06 pm
Nothing special from me, but I'm about to go on a drum kit creation marathon for a more modern sound, especially my snares.

40Beatz wrote:I make my own Drum Programs....With Previews and all.
I need to take the time to do this. Saves a lot of time selecting kits.
By peterpiper Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:18 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:1. Sample a Kick
2. Mic your monitor with Kick Drum mic (5 to 8 inches away)
set your compressor Ratio: 5:1, Attack @ 8 and release 350.
3. Play and re-record your kick.

Oh, I never tried this rerecording technique that way but now I will :)
I only used rerecording to add room/reverb to snares by setting up the mic in the corridor next to my music-room (had to close all windows and doors of the other rooms beause of the noise from the street :))

peace
By JeriKo Jackson Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:49 pm
Use those envelopes. Tightens everything up, On kicks I’ll often use high pass, boost the res and sweep through the low freqs til I find the sweet sub spot. Slowly increase the attack on the filter envelope. Sometimes I layer this new sound with another sample.
By Lampdog Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:56 pm
Filter mic tapping on various hard surfaces.

You can barely tap a mic, sample it

MAKE SEVERAL copies, change filename of the original and save elsewhere.

Experiment with the copies, filter, res, envelopes, all the tools you want.

Salt. remember 37 has EXT mono input. USE THOSE FILTERS and features if need be.

Go a bit further, tape the mic to everything that can move in the house, shake it, rattle it, rub it (no not that) and sample it.