MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By gka9dd9 Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:28 pm
Hey guys,
Thinking to add the MPC Live to my set up for live performance.
It would be to handle samples/stems/backing tracks primarily.
What do people think about pairing it with the Roland TR8S on stage? Good idea? Bad idea?
Appreciate your advice in advance.
Cheers :-D
By Unreallystic Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:01 pm
It could work well, The Tr-8s can carry a track by itself thanks to its ability to use samples. It also is SUPER easy to use, making it great for balancing with other gear, and the number of variations make it easy to fire and forget for a while.

So in theory you can use the Tr-8s as your main drum source, with one or two channels reserved for melodic samples that you turn on and off, depending on what the MPC is doing at the time.
- Unreall
By EnochLight Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:42 pm
gka9dd9 wrote:Hey guys,
Thinking to add the MPC Live to my set up for live performance.
It would be to handle samples/stems/backing tracks primarily.
What do people think about pairing it with the Roland TR8S on stage? Good idea? Bad idea?
Appreciate your advice in advance.
Cheers :-D

I've got the Roland TR-8, and it works great with my MPC Live via MIDI cables. Have you tried the setup at home with your TR-8S to see how it feels to you? I usually use my Live as the main sequencer, but it slaves just as well. The TR-8S is very similar to the TR-8 as far that goes.
By DokBrown Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:34 am
I ALWAYS rec pairing a MPC/MV with a real drum machine.
I wouldn’t get the tr8s but if that’s the 1 you fancy.
I am really impressed by the drumbrutes or an old roland mc505/307
By holdingplata Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:50 pm
Hello guys !

Could someone help me...? I would use the TR8S as a master and MPC LIVE 2 as a slave, I manage to play with the TR8S, fill the grid but no way to listen what s recorded.
Sorry for my english... I m french.

By the way I could be interested in MPC LIVE 2 courses..

Thank yall

PLATA
By DokBrown Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:54 am
every1 here is gonna rec the MPC LIVE OR X ?
what else are you considering ?
By Black Gekko Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:12 pm
DokBrown wrote:I ALWAYS rec pairing a MPC/MV with a real drum machine.
I wouldn’t get the tr8s but if that’s the 1 you fancy.
I am really impressed by the drumbrutes or an old roland mc505/307

Why do you always recommend getting an additional drum machine. Couldnt the MPC do everything that any of the drum machines can do as well?
By ace_of_dub Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:39 pm
It can do the majority for sure, now that it also has a drum synthesizer. In fact the MPC is a real drum machine, and more.
By EnochLight Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:10 pm
Black Gekko wrote:Couldn't the MPC do everything that any of the drum machines can do as well?

The answer is yes. It's always yes, no matter what anyone says. The only reason to have other drum machines is for a different hardware interface to control/program drum patterns if working in MPC workflow is not something you enjoy. Or if there's just that "special" sound that can't be replicated by sampling it, obtaining samples of it, or using Drum Synth.
By Teentim Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:50 pm
TR-8S is a great easy and has a lot of controls you can do live. So, it’s good to keep as master, or like, someone said, to put some breaks in MPC’s environment. By the way, it’s not a bad idea keep TR-8S as slave too, cause you can start the song with MPC’s stems and samples, and TR’s sample and FM is a pain to program. That course function to change the pitch is like a broken toy. So, as somebody said, and I agree, it depends: if you want to record TR drums and keep as another track in MPC, it’s fine. If you want to start, finish without programming every bar (mainly the start), MPC master is a good solution, keeping in mind that sampling and changing pitch in TR requires the turn of an ant, and you never know which note you’re playing.