MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Mateo Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:45 pm
I purchased this bundle off Amazon as a starter...
https://www.amazon.com/Akai-Professiona ... NrPXRydWU=

I need advice on upgrades and accessories,
I have already picked the following items to upgrade and accompany my Live... Thoughts?

Zoom H4N pro - for capturing sounds on the fly and for the mic preamps to power mics directly to the Live. (also an interface if needed.

Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD.

Audio-Technica AT-LP120XUSB Direct-Drive Turntable Analog/USB, Black + Audio Immersion Bundle w/Platter, Vinyl Record Cleaning System & Mackie 3" Creative Reference Multimedia Monitors (Pair)

Shure SM57/SM58 = dynamic instrument and vocal mics

Ibanez 4 string electric bass guitar.

I need to know if I will need a DI for the bass guitar, and if so, recommendations?

A good tilt stand for under $50?

I am rebuilding my home production studio after 10 years of inactivity. Sold most of my gear over the years and what is left is outdated, so I am basically building from the ground up and chose the MPC Live and these additions as a starting point. I am excited to get my hands on the LIVE because with the touch screen I imagine the work flow has improved immensely as well as it being portable. I owned a 2000 for years and I loved it but the menu diving was a turn off and slowed my workflow. Same as the Roland MV8800 I bought owned for a year and sold due to the same reasons.
My remaining equipment and software (I plan on selling or storing as I replace it) is all 10-20 years old and includes.
Mbox Pro
M-Audio BX5 monitors (pair).
M-Audio Axiom 49
M-Audio Trigger Finger
Reason 4
ProTools 7.4
NI Traktor Pro 2 W/
Numark Stealth - DJ Controller
2x Sony MDR headphones

Thanks for any input/advice in advance.
By Unreallystic Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:46 pm
Stands are pretty easy, most sturdy laptop stands will do you fine.

I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GL ... UTF8&psc=1
as it slides into my UDG bag without taking up ANY space
But I've also used the Amazon generic stand (I own like 4 of them - ole reliable).

Is this just for home, or travel too? do you already have a mixer? Do you plan on going standalone?
- Unreall
By Mateo Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:53 pm
Unreallystic wrote:Stands are pretty easy, most sturdy laptop stands will do you fine.

I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GL ... UTF8&psc=1
as it slides into my UDG bag without taking up ANY space
But I've also used the Amazon generic stand (I own like 4 of them - ole reliable).

Is this just for home, or travel too? do you already have a mixer? Do you plan on going standalone?
- Unreall

Thanks for the reply, both home and travel. Definitely standalone I am looking forward to having complete freedom with the live.
I like the fact that the stand you suggested is adjustable seems ideal.
Mixer? board or for turntable? I was looking at a Behringer Xenyx 1002b as a portable mixer to use with the Live but then changed my mind because I found it has no mute/solo track which would be imperative for me.
I am rebuilding my home studio from a back round in Pro Tools and am disappointed in the changes Avid has made I.E... it is now a monthly subscription, I am leaning towards a Presonus 1810c interface with Studio One pro, I have heard and seen great things about the DAW. I figured I would get a Presonus board as well when I get to that step, or possibly just a Faderport. If it is a turntable mixer you ask of, I did not think I would need one because I only plan on having a single table for sampling to start, I figured when got a second table down the road I would get a mixer.
I have been researching options on how to power a bass guitar and a mic into the live, can the Art Dual Pre USB work for instruments as well as mics? the specs are not clear. Or should I go with that for the mics and get something like a Battalion peddle DI for the bass. or is there a better option?
Thanks again.
By Unreallystic Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:03 pm
The mixer was just for additional inputs. Good idea if you have a decent amount of outboard stuff, and makes it easy to plug and play when taking it from out and about to home.

Subscription based software can kick rocks. Its good for a lot of people, but I'm not particularly found of them (looking at you Adobe & M$).
- Unreall
By EnochLight Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:36 pm
Mateo wrote:

My advice is to dump the headphones that came with that. Those Audio Technica ATH-M2X are literally $24 headphones and they're cheaper than a set of Apple Earbuds. I mean, unless you just need to hear a mix in the least, they'll likely not sound that great (nor last).

As far as stands, just an idea but.. there are a plethora of 3D printing designs that are freely available. If you know anyone with a 3D printer or you're willing to consign a 3D printer online or elsewhere, this cost me a total of $8 in substrate to have printed:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3247554

By Mateo Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:02 pm
EnochLight wrote:
Mateo wrote:

My advice is to dump the headphones that came with that. Those Audio Technica ATH-M2X are literally $24 headphones and they're cheaper than a set of Apple Earbuds. I mean, unless you just need to hear a mix in the least, they'll likely not sound that great (nor last).

As far as stands, just an idea but.. there are a plethora of 3D printing designs that are freely available. If you know anyone with a 3D printer or you're willing to consign a 3D printer online or elsewhere, this cost me a total of $8 in substrate to have printed:

I did not even think of having one 3D printed... that is definitely something to explore.
I figured the products included in the bundle would be low quality, the price is the same either way (one of the benefits to buying off amazon is they always throw in extras to beat out competitors) I still have 2 pairs of Sony MDR's, I will just use them for now.
Any advice on powering mics and a Bass directly to the live?
I am considering the Art USB Dual Pre for the mic, could this also power the bass input? would be ideal to have both the mic and a Bass powered on the same preamp, or do I need a seperate DI for the bass?
By EnochLight Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:08 pm
Mateo wrote:Any advice on powering mics and a Bass directly to the live?
I am considering the Art USB Dual Pre for the mic, could this also power the bass input? would be ideal to have both the mic and a Bass powered on the same preamp, or do I need a seperate DI for the bass?

You can already run a dynamic mic into the Live without anything else needed. For other mics (that require phantom power, etc), you've got a lot of options. Myself, I ended up picking up a Roland VT-4 second hand on the cheap. It has phantom power, does quarter inch or XLR inputs, and is also battery powered:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ransformer

I found one on Reverb in mint condition for $185 USD.

I haven't tried my bass guitar with it (the Live), yet.
Last edited by EnochLight on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Mateo Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:09 pm
Unreallystic wrote:The mixer was just for additional inputs. Good idea if you have a decent amount of outboard stuff, and makes it easy to plug and play when taking it from out and about to home.

Subscription based software can kick rocks. Its good for a lot of people, but I'm not particularly found of them (looking at you Adobe & M$).
- Unreall

More inputs are always better, any opinions on a mixer? I am starting off with a turntable, a dynamic mic, and a Bass guitar, but will be looking to expand in the future. Hardware synths for example. I have my eyes on a few of the compact Moogs, as well as some of the Roland and Korg bass synths for example.
By Mateo Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:21 pm
EnochLight wrote:
Mateo wrote:Any advice on powering mics and a Bass directly to the live?

You can already run a dynamic mic into the Live without anything else needed. For other mics (that require phantom power, etc), you've got a lot of options. Myself, I ended up picking up a Roland VT-4 second hand on the cheap. It has phantom power, does quarter inch or XLR inputs, and is also battery powered:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ransformer

I found one on Reverb in mint condition for $185 USD.

I haven't tried my bass guitar with it (the Live), yet.

I read somewhere that a dynamic mic directly into the Live results in very low pick up and recordings needed to be adjusted after the fact to raise levels. I am guessing by your reply that is wrong? If so than I will only need a pre for condensor mics and that can wait until the need arises. How about the Bass Guitar input? I read the same thing that powered insruments such as syths and drumb machines could be pluged direct into the live and achieve good levels, but a Bass/ Guitar needs power otherwise the levels are too low to work with. is this true? If so suggestions.
If you do test the bass out on the Live with the VT let me know how it goes...
Thank you, your input is appreciated.
By EnochLight Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:28 am
Mateo wrote:I read somewhere that a dynamic mic directly into the Live results in very low pick up and recordings needed to be adjusted after the fact to raise levels. I am guessing by your reply that is wrong? If so than I will only need a pre for condensor mics and that can wait until the need arises. How about the Bass Guitar input? I read the same thing that powered insruments such as syths and drumb machines could be pluged direct into the live and achieve good levels, but a Bass/ Guitar needs power otherwise the levels are too low to work with. is this true? If so suggestions.

Yeah, sans pre-amp it is pretty low by default actually. Depending on your mic, it might not even be that usable. I prefer to use my VT-4 when doing vocals. I just plugged my bass guitar in via the Live sans any DI - it's barely audible. I've got an Ibanez Soundgear SDGR bass - battery was just replaced.

Using my VT-4 as a DI, it works fine though.
By Mateo Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:41 am
EnochLight wrote:
Mateo wrote:I read somewhere that a dynamic mic directly into the Live results in very low pick up and recordings needed to be adjusted after the fact to raise levels. I am guessing by your reply that is wrong? If so than I will only need a pre for condensor mics and that can wait until the need arises. How about the Bass Guitar input? I read the same thing that powered insruments such as syths and drumb machines could be pluged direct into the live and achieve good levels, but a Bass/ Guitar needs power otherwise the levels are too low to work with. is this true? If so suggestions.

Yeah, sans pre-amp it is pretty low by default actually. Depending on your mic, it might not even be that usable. I prefer to use my VT-4 when doing vocals. I just plugged my bass guitar in via the Live sans any DI - it's barely audible. I've got an Ibanez Soundgear SDGR bass - battery was just replaced.

Using my VT-4 as a DI, it works fine though.

Good to know, thanks
Opinion on using the Zoom H4N Pro's 2 XLR inputs for the mic and bass input?
By EnochLight Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:54 am
Mateo wrote:Opinion on using the Zoom H4N Pro's 2 XLR inputs for the mic and bass input?

I mean, it's not its intended function, but it looks like it would work. It has XLR/TRS inputs, 48v phantom power, and a line-out (even though you'll need a stereo 3.5 mm to TRS adapter). Do you need a field recorder on top of an MPC Live?
By Mateo Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:27 am
EnochLight wrote: Do you need a field recorder on top of an MPC Live?

Exactly, no need for it if I have a portable power source for a mic.
Though in my everyday I hear things I want to sample all the time and figured might as well do it right, and it serves multiple functions. Recorder, Preamp's, and interface. For a little more cash I could get this portable mixer and solve both the mic and bass input issue. Battery powered, built in mics, interface, mixer, dedicated mic and HiZ inputs. I am starting to like this option. Thoughts?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ce-sampler