MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By DokBrown Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:29 pm
Is the MPC LIVE durable ? especially the touchscreen
Guitar center is offering me a 5-year extended warranty for $300 on my MPC LIVE.
Do I need this ? In 10 years, I never damaged an MPC or electribe but I imagine this unit could be different with the large touch screen.

Just wondering . . . . .
By mr_debauch Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:33 pm
well, does the warranty include accidental dropping, or any type of abuse or things done by the user? I have not run mine very hard like previous models (mostly due to time in recent years) but so far after a year or two it is holding up pretty well. I am not sure how well it would hold up on tours, without proper protection at the very least.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:18 pm
mr_debauch wrote:well, does the warranty include accidental dropping, or any type of abuse or things done by the user? I have not run mine very hard like previous models (mostly due to time in recent years) but so far after a year or two it is holding up pretty well. I am not sure how well it would hold up on tours, without proper protection at the very least.

Touring destroys gear. :lol:

DokBrown wrote:Is the MPC LIVE durable ? especially the touchscreen
Guitar center is offering me a 5-year extended warranty for $300 on my MPC LIVE.
Do I need this ? In 10 years, I never damaged an MPC or electribe but I imagine this unit could be different with the large touch screen.

Just wondering . . . . .

Make enough money and you won't need extended insurance. :nod: The parts most likely to fail first are: The USB A ports, The Battery, The charger port, The q link knobs, and transport buttons. The screen is the stock as the MPC Touch I believe and those screen are holding up well.

I really don't like the power supply port. :Sigh:
By EnochLight Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:32 am
DokBrown wrote:Is the MPC LIVE durable ? especially the touchscreen

Just wondering . . . . .

Waste of money IMHO. That’s 30% of the Live’s current price!

CharlesRandolph wrote:Make enough money and you won't need extended insurance. :nod:

:roll: :WTF: :vomit:
By CharlesRandolph Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:58 am
Make your money, is always the best option. Rule of thumb, don't buy anything you can afford to replace. So if you buy something for 1200, have 2400. However, if you must get insurance, calculate the cost to replace all your gear. Then open up Musicians Insurance policy and pay a month fee on it. Talk to your car insurance and see what they offer. If not look into https://www.musicproinsurance.com/.

It should cover you in the studio, repairs, on the road, from theft, etc.
By MPC-Tutor Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:29 am
Before buying extended warranties consider what you probably already have via the manufacturers own warranty, your general consumer rights, existing insurance policies etc. Anyway, read the small print, make sure it covers everything you need it to as there are bound to be all sorts of exclusions. Plus have a look at who handles the repairs, what the claim process involves, turnaround times, who pays for shipping, and what happens if a repair in't possible - do you get a new MPC, a refurb unit or a refund etc. You can pretty much bet that GC themselves have no involvement in the handling of any claims, it will most likely be outsourced.

In 5 years time you will probably be able to buy a decent second hand MPC X for $300, or a refurbished 'MPC Live 2'.

BTW, I've not had any issues with my Live or my Touch, fairly well made (apart from the wobbly PSU port). I'd imagine most issues will occur during the first year, so Akai's own warranty should cover that (I assume it's 12 months in the USA?). I
By MPC-Tutor Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:45 am
Ultimately insurance is about peace of mind, so if $300 is what it takes for you to relax and not worry about using your gear, then I guess it's money well spent. Personally whenever I read the small print on these things I just find myself getting more stressed. But $300 insurance for a $1000 electrical item seems a lot when you consider I insure my whole house each year for significantly less than $300 and in the event of a fire have it completely rebuilt and all it's contents replaced :)

Do they offer a cheaper policy, maybe one that just extends the manufacturer warranty by 2 years, w/accidental damage? I just don't see these MPCs as units you'll be using in 5 years, these aren't 'classic' MPCs, they are more like tablets or smartphones, use them for 2-3 years and upgrade to the new shiny model. Is the warranty transferrable?
By CharlesRandolph Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:25 am
I've never bought extended warranties, when purchasing gear. I add the gear to my Insurance. Which covers all my equipment from water/fire/accidental damage, theft, and other things. Self repair is always a good option, if the person has the know how.

I do it sometimes, but I don't like using my time that way and I don't like having broken gear sitting around. Swap it out, File a claim, take to the repair shop and keep it moving. Also policies are cheaper, if the gear stays in one place. :nod: If your gear is at home, your Home owners insurance or renters insurance should cover it. Depending on your policy.

MPC-Tutor wrote:Before buying extended warranties consider what you probably already have via the manufacturers own warranty, your general consumer rights, existing insurance policies etc. Anyway, read the small print, make sure it covers everything you need it to as there are bound to be all sorts of exclusions. Plus have a look at who handles the repairs, what the claim process involves, turnaround times, who pays for shipping, and what happens if a repair in't possible - do you get a new MPC, a refurb unit or a refund etc. You can pretty much bet that GC themselves have no involvement in the handling of any claims, it will most likely be outsourced.

In 5 years time you will probably be able to buy a decent second hand MPC X for $300, or a refurbished 'MPC Live 2'.

BTW, I've not had any issues with my Live or my Touch, fairly well made (apart from the wobbly PSU port). I'd imagine most issues will occur during the first year, so Akai's own warranty should cover that (I assume it's 12 months in the USA?). I
By DokBrown Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:15 pm
Btw – they have a 3year warranty for $150 But I will use my renter’s insurance policy per my wife.
Last edited by DokBrown on Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By DokBrown Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:17 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Ultimately insurance is about peace of mind, so if $300 is what it takes for you to relax and not worry about using your gear, then I guess it's money well spent. Personally whenever I read the small print on these things I just find myself getting more stressed. But $300 insurance for a $1000 electrical item seems a lot when you consider I insure my whole house each year for significantly less than $300 and in the event of a fire have it completely rebuilt and all it's contents replaced :)

Do they offer a cheaper policy, maybe one that just extends the manufacturer warranty by 2 years, w/accidental damage? I just don't see these MPCs as units you'll be using in 5 years, these aren't 'classic' MPCs, they are more like tablets or smartphones, use them for 2-3 years and upgrade to the new shiny model. Is the warranty transferrable?

Are you implying that these units are cheaply built or rather simply that AKAI will put out something bigger/better soon ? Assuming mpc stuff & others provide aftermarket parts/accessories/support, I can see these becoming classics. This would be undermined if IN MUSIC brands does weak support & keeps putting out newer models like smartphones.

I am saying this but what I feel what made the 1000/2500 classics is the community/aftermarket support NOT necessarily the units themselves. I predict the next AKAI FORCE will see major changes b/c the current is the first EVER built. Meanwhile, I only question the OS/touch screen on the LIVE/X. akai has been making pads/knobs/buttons/sliders for quite some time.