MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By gerryv Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:53 am
Hey guys,

Also asked this question in the getting started part but didn’t got a lot of response so I am trying over here.
For a month now i am trying to find out which device would be the best fit for me. Watching a lot of youtube video's, spend a lot of evenings googling for info but still my dilemma is not solved. The two devices which i doubt between are the akai mpc x or the akai force because of the standalone nature. I hope by posting this message i can finally make the right decision. First gonna give some background and what exactly i am looking for and then will ask some questions.

Main purpose for the device is producing electronic music. My genres are tech house, deep house, minimal and techno. The device should be able to create a song from start to finish(I know the force doesn't have arrangement mode yet but will eventually have it so that's fine by me). I have no experience working with mpc neither with ableton so learning curve is something that is not important to me. I have some experience with maschine from native instruments since i own the maschine studio. I just want to have the device that gives me the most and best options to produce a track from start to finish in the genres as i mentioned above.

Some questions:
What are the benefits of each device above the other?
The thing that stops me from going for the mpc x is when i search for youtube videos most of the time the music they are making is hip hop which is not my genre. It is really hard to find a video about the mpc x creating electronic music :-D which make me doubt if its capable of making music in my genre. What do you guys think about that?
What do you guys think about the software on both devices in the future. Will the mpc x get some more plugins like the hype synth? Since the force is the newest device will the mpc x get less updates?
With the mpc x i know you are able to use sounds from vst plugins by playing them in the mpc software export it and import in standalone and make keygroups out of it. Is there or will it be possible to do something similar with the akai force so i can use sounds from vst plugins in my akai force in standalone mode(maybe when the ableton integration is ready)?

Sorry for this huge post but i really hope you guys will help me in making my final decision.

Thanks, Gerry
By Eyalc Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:21 pm
Great post.

I think it depends on your production style more than anything. From what I understand the Force is more clip-based, although you can produce with clips with both machines. I also wouldn’t be too optimistic about song mode on the Force in the near future. Akai has a history of leaving some logically sound features off of their platforms. If you need CV to control synths, get the X for sure. All grain of salt though, because I don’t know much about the Force. Hopefully someone with some good knowledge can chime in and help.

Last thing I’ll add, don’t think of it as “the MPC X can only do Hip hop”. That’s like saying a guitar can only be used to play rock. If it was a synth that had a set number of sounds and those sounds were clearly hip-hop oriented, then that argument would make sense. But both are samplers - you get out what you put in them. So, the genre is irrelevant - it’s whatever sound you want to create with it. The features and functions aren’t going to limit you to a particular genre.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:41 pm
Everyone here is making some form of Electronic Music and both machines are capable. The Force lends more toward an Ableton work flow, while the MPC X lends towards an Classic MPC work flow. Nevertheless, buy the machine for what it can do right now, not what it may do later on.

Look at your current workflow and seriously ask yourself, "What do I actually need to enhance my setup? What is my weak point and how can I fill it." There are lots of people here, with 2500, 2000xl, Live, 4000, MPC X. Force, MPC 60 and the truth is their music basically sounds the same on them all. Unless they understand music and how to create different styles of music.
By Lampdog Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:32 pm
Nothing more to add after this truth/common sense bomb.

Eyalc wrote:....both are samplers - you get out what you put in them. So, the genre is irrelevant - it’s whatever sound you want to create with it. The features and functions aren’t going to limit you to a particular genre.
By Monotremata Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:50 pm
Eyalcs post should be a sticky just to remind everybody the MPC can pretty much do whatever the hell you want it to do hah.

Yeah I think for this it would come down to how you work and write. I make 'electronic' music with it, more in the illbient/dub/trip hop kinda vein but Ive done DnB with it, regular old four on the floor jams, etc.. Don't get hung up on the hip hop association with it. Plenty of electro folks use them too.

The 'band' Not Breathing has been all about the MPC since about 1999. Dave started with a 2000XL after getting rid of his MC-50, moved to a 1000 when those came out, and he's been using those since the day I met him. What you hear on records is basically him playing his synths with the MPC, track mutes, etc, going straight into a two track. I know he tried using Sonar ages ago when it came out, but I don't think the DAW flow was his thing. He ends up sampling alot of his modulars/synths/homemade noisemakers when he plays live, but its all coming out of a 1000 and he's jamming on that thing all night long. His stuff is pretty much all improvisation with an MPC controlling everything.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Monotremata wrote:Eyalcs post should be a sticky just to remind everybody the MPC can pretty much do whatever the hell you want it to do hah.

Yeah I think for this it would come down to how you work and write. I make 'electronic' music with it, more in the illbient/dub/trip hop kinda vein but Ive done DnB with it, regular old four on the floor jams, etc.. Don't get hung up on the hip hop association with it. Plenty of electro folks use them too.

The 'band' Not Breathing has been all about the MPC since about 1999. Dave started with a 2000XL after getting rid of his MC-50, moved to a 1000 when those came out, and he's been using those since the day I met him. What you hear on records is basically him playing his synths with the MPC, track mutes, etc, going straight into a two track. I know he tried using Sonar ages ago when it came out, but I don't think the DAW flow was his thing. He ends up sampling alot of his modulars/synths/homemade noisemakers when he plays live, but its all coming out of a 1000 and he's jamming on that thing all night long. His stuff is pretty much all improvisation with an MPC controlling everything.

When you say play live, do you mean how a drummer or pianist plays live or is it more programming/dj set?
By Monotremata Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:57 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:When you say play live, do you mean how a drummer or pianist plays live or is it more programming/dj set?

Its a bit of both. Mix of loops from the actual songs on the records along with whatever synths/homemade gear he brings to play with, and whatever any 'guests' are playing. Seen people play anything from Tibetan singing bowls to didgeridoos to more laptops to whatever with em. Had fire dancers for awhile too heh. Those Arizona desert people are weird man.
By Lampdog Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:15 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:I don’t know why I had a hard time with that one lol. Sorry to Derail some but I was confused where “Dave” came into this.

:lol:
By gerryv Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:10 pm
Thank you guys for all the reactions. So what i ask myself. Is there anything the mpc x can not do what the akai force can do apart from that the force has the hype synth and that both are having a different workflow? And what can the mpc x do what the force can not do?

Thanks!
By Cockdiesel Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:34 pm
They are two separate work flows. The force focuses more on streamlined sampling and a loop based work flow, in addition to being focused on the controller aspect when sequencing. The chord progressions, and notes modes are fully optimized on the force. They exist on the x but no where near the same experience.

The x is more a Linear work flow with how you build up sequences and lay down audio tracks.

I have a live and force and although I like the force it’s a different work flow and prefer the live work flow wise. This is a personal thing as I’m used to the standard work flow.

Sounds to me like you should go to a gear store and check them. I’m also thinking you may like the force way more for controlling synths with its different modes. Especially if you’re not doing more complex sequencing with chopped drums and samples.

The hype synth is dope but I wouldn’t let that be the sole reason to choose the force over the x.

If you need the extra inputs you can always get a mixer to put on the inputs.

Try to get hands on them though. They both are so close it’s not funny, but the preference is going to be on your own workflow.