MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Lee Jones Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:51 pm
Hi gUys
I need to work this out as its driving me nuts.
I have some 909 and 808 drum programs made for the mpcx by Samles from mars, that sound brilliant. But as you get into building the layers of drums im finding that it can't play more sounds. I cant get the exact wording together but lets say there is a kick a hat a snare and when I try to play more sounds they simply cant play, the notes record but they dont play.

Is there a way of turning up the polyphony?

Cheers
Lee
By 40Beatz Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:25 pm
The Program itself has Polyphonic Settings , as well as Each Pad in the LFO/Modulation Tab.

Make sure everything is set to "POLY"
By MPC-Tutor Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:50 pm
Pads set to mono isn't going to stop the kit playing polyphonically, it just forces an individual pad to be monophonic with itself (i.e. other sounds can happily play over that pad, it just can't overlap itself).

Program set to poly is fine.

The mute group sounds like the only thing that would affect overall polyphony here, but it depends, as you said only some pads have a mute group 1. Typically you would use this with open and closed hats. If pads like snares and kicks are also set to mute group 1, turn them off, but it would be odd to have added mute groups for those samples in the first place. However I believe the MPC programs in the samples from mars collections are built in older, legacy MPCs, so perhaps there's a conversion bug going on.

After making successful changes, save the program via 'MAIN > program row pencil icon > Save current program'.

If you can't fix it, just make your own kits from the samples.