MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By zangetsu01 Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:19 pm
Monotremata wrote:
zangetsu01 wrote:But now I’ve learned that it has to do with Ableton Link.. Not the buildin mixer..

Ahh so basically nothing anyone cares about then.. :lol:

That’s exactly what it seems..
Now I just hope that they’ve fixed the 2.6 bugs..
By ajarson Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:09 pm
Honestly I'm still back to what ppl have been on about for years. I need a machine to properly send out backing tracks/stems, that can be synced to a MIDI/grid. I tour around the world in a synth pop project and I already bring too many synths to begin with, and I use the Octatrack as a glorified backing track machine and mixer for my synths and effects pedals. It works great but its so **** limited and I HATE THE OCTATRACK. It's annoying, terribly easy to press the wrong thing or barely touch a knob and **** up your settings, its honestly awful for live unless you're doing loop based techno kind of stuff.

The MPC has always been my tool, I'm great on the pads and sequencing is the best. I want to do this live and have **** tracks playing in the background.

PLEASE ADD DISK STREAMING.

Also though, for live situations, if I owned a Live I'd probably make some multisamples of my gear and have them set up on dif MIDI channels, I would actually enjoy Multitimbral inputs as well. This combo would truly make it the best live tool for electronic musicians and I've talked to A LOT of em who all agree they want the Live but its too limited by the lack of ability to stream audio.
By Menco Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:33 pm
If 2.7 won’t deliver I will sell my Live. I only use the Live and the software to import the beats I made on the 2500 into Logic in pluginmode. I simply miss too many things on the Live. Arranging, automation and the mixer sucks, the software sucks for adding VST’s to my projects so I never really mess with the software. All the features are more distracting to me than beneficial when building loops and foundations quickly. For me it just tries to do too many things without really excelling in one, eventhough I’m still hoping for that all in one box solution, allthough I start to believe that the perfect all in one box doesn’t exist for me. So for now I stick to dedicated tools for specific tasks. I’ll give the Live one more chance with 2.7, but right now I am already thinking of where I put the original packaging to put the Live in.
By 40Beatz Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:09 pm
:lol: :lol: :Sigh:

I'm just curious.....What Standalone Product Out right now, is comparable to the Live/X..?
By 40Beatz Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:56 pm
:lol: Exactly.....The X/Live are in a Class by themselves. I believe a lot of People are migrating from Software to the X/Live. So I can understand why they're not happy with the X/Live.
I often Dust off my Legacy MP's and couldnt imagine gettin rid of the X/Live.

I believe the 2.7 Update will be a Pacifier while Akai is developing 3.0 in the New Hardware
By Lampdog Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:15 am
Menco wrote:If 2.7 won’t deliver I will sell my Live. I only use the Live and the software to import the beats I made on the 2500 into Logic in pluginmode. I simply miss too many things on the Live. Arranging, automation and the mixer sucks, the software sucks for adding VST’s to my projects so I never really mess with the software. All the features are more distracting to me than beneficial when building loops and foundations quickly. For me it just tries to do too many things without really excelling in one, eventhough I’m still hoping for that all in one box solution, allthough I start to believe that the perfect all in one box doesn’t exist for me. So for now I stick to dedicated tools for specific tasks. I’ll give the Live one more chance with 2.7, but right now I am already thinking of where I put the original packaging to put the Live in.

Really that bad?
By pspsounds Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:46 am
There are desired features for the MPC Live/X but they are right now in a league of their own. When the new effects came out it really increased my workflow on it. I mainly use it in standalone. A few new standalone plugins, disk streaming and updated mixer would push this way pass the competition. I’ve made some custom sound packs and a template which really makes me more creative. And I didn’t think I would take much to Splice but I tried it out and it’s pretty cool. Helps me get ideas going.

Back to the beats
By CharlesRandolph Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:27 am
The machine is more then capable, but with the way GUI is setup. Most users of the old machine have to adjust their workflow. I remember going from tape to cassette to ADAT to Digital Recorders to Computer Based recording. Each one of those formats required a different mind state.

Many times we have to abandon our old MPC's. Then we are forced to rely on the new MPC's. Which makes us rethink how we do things. Sometimes, we run into a creative block, so we buy gear to help in hopes, it gets us out of it. But normally that's a very temporary solution. Because once the new gear smell wears off, we're end up back in the hole.

So we buy more gear, to fill that hole. (Gear Lust Cycle) Now we're stuck with a room full of gear, that we don't use or want. In those time, people have to learn to compose different forms of music, with different key signatures, instruments, and timing. Which can all be done on most MPC's.

To wrap it up, these firmware updates, will not fix our issues. Because if a person uses a machine 3 hours a week. Multi-channel, Multitimbral, or Disk Streaming will not fix the lack of time dedicated to their craft.
By Elektrobolt Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:28 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:The machine is more then capable, but with the way GUI is setup. Most users of the old machine have to adjust their workflow. I remember going from tape to cassette to ADAT to Digital Recorders to Computer Based recording. Each one of those formats required a different mind state.

Many times we have to abandon our old MPC's. Then we are forced to rely on the new MPC's. Which makes us rethink how we do things. Sometimes, we run into a creative block, so we buy gear to help in hopes, it gets us out of it. But normally that's a very temporary solution. Because once the new gear smell wears off, we're end up back in the hole.

So we buy more gear, to fill that hole. (Gear Lust Cycle) Now we're stuck with a room full of gear, that we don't use or want. In those time, people have to learn to compose different forms of music, with different key signatures, instruments, and timing. Which can all be done on most MPC's.

To wrap it up, these firmware updates, will not fix our issues. Because if a person uses a machine 3 hours a week. Multi-channel, Multitimbral, or Disk Streaming will not fix the lack of time dedicated to their craft.

I cannot speak for you, but me, I will be set with being able to use MIDI Out and In, assigned to channels, plus being able to use USB MIDI In and Out, MIDI Pad Mapping, Time Signatures. I.e. basically completing the lack of a decent MIDI implementation.

Also, I think there are quite a few improvements that could be implemented that would actually enhance software maintainability in the long run. And, having read about the various XML schemas Akai has created over the years, why not move forward and allow conversion of older formats to newer ones with new functionality that people wants. No need to USE the older XML formats to store in new projects.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:52 am
Elektrobolt wrote:I cannot speak for you, but me, I will be set with being able to use MIDI Out and In, assigned to channels, plus being able to use USB MIDI In and Out, MIDI Pad Mapping, Time Signatures. I.e. basically completing the lack of a decent MIDI implementation.

Also, I think there are quite a few improvements that could be implemented that would actually enhance software maintainability in the long run. And, having read about the various XML schemas Akai has created over the years, why not move forward and allow conversion of older formats to newer ones with new functionality that people wants. No need to USE the older XML formats to store in new projects.

So without those updates, what are you doing now to create music? How are you bypassing those limitations?
By JeriKo Jackson Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:40 am
Menco wrote:If 2.7 won’t deliver I will sell my Live. I only use the Live and the software to import the beats I made on the 2500 into Logic in pluginmode. I simply miss too many things on the Live. Arranging, automation and the mixer sucks, the software sucks for adding VST’s to my projects so I never really mess with the software. All the features are more distracting to me than beneficial when building loops and foundations quickly. For me it just tries to do too many things without really excelling in one, eventhough I’m still hoping for that all in one box solution, allthough I start to believe that the perfect all in one box doesn’t exist for me. So for now I stick to dedicated tools for specific tasks. I’ll give the Live one more chance with 2.7, but right now I am already thinking of where I put the original packaging to put the Live in.

:vomit:
By Menco Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:31 am
Lampdog wrote:

Really that bad?

To me it is. I really gave it a try, tried to get used to it for over a year. Since day one I hated the mixer, but rumors that the mixer would be improved kept my hopes up, but now it seems that we still won’t get it with the new update.
The Song Mode feature is buggy, recording, but especially overdubbing and deleting automation is a pain in the ass sometimes. Setting up q-links for automation is also more complicated than it should be. Not even able to record automation on the master output. Recording or deleting track mutes is also still not where it should be. Off course it does so much more than most MPC’s, but too many things that just aren’t right yet. I don’t mind to workaround things, but now my workaround is using the 2500 and Logic, which I even like more than working with the Live. Messing with the Live also thaught me that I rather have more tools that are very good at doing one thing, instead of working with one piece that does so many things halfass.
Bymember04959388 Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:23 pm
Moving from 10 years of Ableton to Mpc has been a joy for me.
I had to restart all my workflow and it took me 6 months but now that I master Mpc workflow, I am much faster and more creative then before.
BUT:
MPC has to be played live and standalone to understand all is power.
And it seems Akai is taking the other direction, working hard to interface with computers, which is at least bizarre, given that the majority of people (I guess) buyed it to go standalone.
Competition is also rising with new Roland Mc series and I am sure there will be more on Namm, maybe Korg for example.
So I think Akai needs to WAKE UP.
Standalone grooveboxes are hitting the market again and people are tired of computers.
So Akai should work for that, at least removing bugs and glitches that are a pain if you use Mpc as a live instrument.
Focus on that, Akai, that's the winning step, if you make a glitchless bugless standalone, you just crush the competition.
I think and hope next update will keep those things in mind.
But this 2.7, man, it's just months and months of hard coding for a mostly useless ableton integration, at least for legacy Mpc standalone users.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:51 pm
Menco wrote:Off course it does so much more than most MPC’s, but too many things that just aren’t right yet. I don’t mind to workaround things, but now my workaround is using the 2500 and Logic, which I even like more than working with the Live. Messing with the Live also taught me that I rather have more tools that are very good at doing one thing, instead of working with one piece that does so many things halfass.

This is the All In One Printer scenario: You have a Printer, Fax, Scanner, Copier but they're all mediocre at their job. Now the question is, are you using the 2500 with the Akai OS or with JJOS?