MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:56 pm
Awwwwwwwwwwwwh suki suki now, you just spending money LOL :shock: I would love to see a vid with the s900 and X combo. I remember I had the s900 for a brief moment in the 90's.

Fanu wrote:
Gots to be done :)
Also got an Akai s900 in the mail, so wanna try the X as a combo with it…s900 for crusty beats and the X for sample work!
By JUKE 179r Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:43 am
Congrats Fanu!
By NearTao Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:10 pm
kaydigi wrote:Man having access to all 16 qlinks must be nice.

It is nice, and the reason I sold off my Live. I mean the portability was nice and all... but I just was not taking advantage of the portability enough. On the other hand... the 16 q-links make chopping quite a bit faster than having to keep switching banks.
By kaydigi Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:24 pm
NearTao wrote:
kaydigi wrote:Man having access to all 16 qlinks must be nice.

It is nice, and the reason I sold off my Live. I mean the portability was nice and all... but I just was not taking advantage of the portability enough. On the other hand... the 16 q-links make chopping quite a bit faster than having to keep switching banks.

I'm going to do the same thing, the qlinks on the Live can kick rocks.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:09 am
Excellent find. :smoker:

Fanu wrote:Stoked!

Been a Live user for a while and I love that thing.

There's a big store in Helsinki that sells a lot of music gear and whatnot, and they always put their stuff that's been on display as a test unit on their retail section.
Well, they had X for 989 EUR there – normal price 1799 EUR.
I could not pass up on that one.

So, another X owner here!

I feel Akai has been making nice progress with Live/X and I hope they continue to do so, so happy about owning this one, too.

Cheers!
By saltmcgault Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:36 pm
Fanu wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/B6Nsj3wlgvr/

Finally started using it; bought it for myself for holidays.
I LOVE that thing! Soooooo much nicer than Live, which I already liked a lot.
Total beast.

Damn dude. Nice set up you got there!
By SILIS101 Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:59 am
Fanu wrote:
Danoc wrote:Hahaaha lol l bet you got that big ass coolaid smile behind that X lol

That baby looks clean. Thing looks huge, a beautiful machine. After you finish your album in 2020 you'll start the next one on the X?

Gots to be done :)
Also got an Akai s900 in the mail, so wanna try the X as a combo with it…s900 for crusty beats and the X for sample work!

I've been using the MPC X with the S950 for 6 months. Added a ASR-10 two weeks ago.
I have my dream setup now.
Everything is midi'd up. Resampling and arranging is easy.
Timestretch in the X, resample in ASR or S950, do some sound design on the ASR-10, there are no slowdowns.
Old Gear with New Gear is unreal.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:25 am
SILIS101 wrote:
I've been using the MPC X with the S950 for 6 months. Added a ASR-10 two weeks ago. I have my dream setup now. Everything is midi'd up. Resampling and arranging is easy. Timestretch in the X, resample in ASR or S950, do some sound design on the ASR-10, there are no slowdowns. Old Gear with New Gear is unreal.

What is your project saving process like?
By Cockdiesel Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:17 am
That’s easy Charles. Even having to load from 3.5 disk is insignificant when your booting up.
Asrboots up over scsi just as fast as the live +or- a few ms.
Working standalone with the vintage stuff is like some crazy dynamic... been saying it for years...

@silias if you want a 8 output expander for the asr, hit me up I got an unopened unit that I’ve been debating to sell. I haven’t used it in a few years so it’s better to go to someone to use it. Despite whatever what if I have in my head.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:43 am
Cockdiesel wrote:That’s easy Charles. Even having to load from 3.5 disk is insignificant when your booting up.
Asrboots up over scsi just as fast as the live +or- a few ms.
Working standalone with the vintage stuff is like some crazy dynamic... been saying it for years...

@silias if you want a 8 output expander for the asr, hit me up I got an unopened unit that I’ve been debating to sell. I haven’t used it in a few years so it’s better to go to someone to use it. Despite whatever what if I have in my head.

I wonder how many different places he saving to. The ASR, S950, and MPC X. I use to save all the samples in one place and MIDI BULK dump all the settings in another. So how does he organize his save locations.

What mediums are he saving too? I thinking, you have to go back 5 months. How long does it take to find and load the song.
By Cockdiesel Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:55 am
I keep all my instruments separate. Update and save on the machines themselves, only info passing from mpc is midi notes really. Even on other machines where I make use of the sequencer, it’s pretty easy when you name everything the same on each device. If I had a 950, sure I’d try to get other stuff working but even saving your samples to disk wouldnt be all that bad. You can easily focus on another box while it loads or saves.

For his system, he’s got a baller set up. Stereo asr out to mpc, and run the outs of the 950 to a mixer into the mpc stereo 2, he can multitrack both..... might be as good as it get in terms of a hybrid vintage type deal. He could have it set up with a keyboard stand and small desk, even get a laptop and ableton involved and have everything integrated.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:22 am
So if you have 4 machines, you save on each machine separately? Wow! That would drive me crazy. I use to do that and had ledgers of track information for each song. I finished tracking out every beat I made on other machines and it took 2 years to do that.

Saving on multiple machines is a hell, I no longer want. Now I make a beat, track it out into the SEQUOIA, then do all the finishing touches there. Also just in-case something happens to me, everything is setup to make sure my family knows how things are archived.

Cockdiesel wrote:I keep all my instruments separate. Update and save on the machines themselves, only info passing from mpc is midi notes really. Even on other machines where I make use of the sequencer, it’s pretty easy when you name everything the same on each device. If I had a 950, sure I’d try to get other stuff working but even saving your samples to disk wouldnt be all that bad. You can easily focus on another box while it loads or saves.

For his system, he’s got a baller set up. Stereo asr out to mpc, and run the outs of the 950 to a mixer into the mpc stereo 2, he can multitrack both..... might be as good as it get in terms of a hybrid vintage type deal. He could have it set up with a keyboard stand and small desk, even get a laptop and ableton involved and have everything integrated.