MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Cockdiesel Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:51 am
Dude it’s pretty much instant recall. I mean it might drive you crazy but having a machine or two to recall presets hasn’t bothered me in the slightest. Where it became unproductive for me is just turning on the mpc and a box, iPad whatever and just fiddling with it while watching tv or taking a minute or two to come here. Might work for some and a spot to get stuck in quite easily, but I need to change my habits. Ymmv...

I wouldn’t have any problem programming a few boxes even integrated with a computer. Just not something I see as a substantial obstacle.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:10 am
It's not about using different boxes, but the saving and archiving all the settings. Do people use the MPC X/LIVE to save SysEx MIDI Bulk Dump?
By Cockdiesel Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:50 pm
Not sure the live or x are able to do sysex. Maybe in controller mode or just using it with a daw. I had to use a weird work around to use my iPad as a Roland programmer when I had a few of the boutiques.

The asr has a few options, but the 950 not so much pretty sure you’re left with a box of disks either on whatever media or 3.5.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:38 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:Not sure the live or x are able to do sysex. Maybe in controller mode or just using it with a daw. I had to use a weird work around to use my iPad as a Roland programmer when I had a few of the boutiques.

The asr has a few options, but the 950 not so much pretty sure you’re left with a box of disks either on whatever media or 3.5.

I know people used to use the 3000, 2000, 2000xl to save all their synth settings for each projects. This was the main reason we used virtual instruments. Instant Recall and Everything saved in the same place. Lots of keyboards are great, if you're tracking everything live.
By SILIS101 Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:12 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:I keep all my instruments separate. Update and save on the machines themselves, only info passing from mpc is midi notes really. Even on other machines where I make use of the sequencer, it’s pretty easy when you name everything the same on each device. If I had a 950, sure I’d try to get other stuff working but even saving your samples to disk wouldnt be all that bad. You can easily focus on another box while it loads or saves.

For his system, he’s got a baller set up. Stereo asr out to mpc, and run the outs of the 950 to a mixer into the mpc stereo 2, he can multitrack both..... might be as good as it get in terms of a hybrid vintage type deal. He could have it set up with a keyboard stand and small desk, even get a laptop and ableton involved and have everything integrated.

Thanks for the compliments on my setup.
My process of saving a beat across all machines is simple. It's going to piss some of you off. I don't save per machine, I save it all in the X. LOL.

Here's my workflow,
Every sample I start with is sampled into the MPCX, timestretched, chopped, no filters.
Then samples are resampled in the machine of my choice and use that machine to get the sound I want for each sample (S950 filters etc, Asr10 sound design and effects etc).
Asr outputs and s950 outputs are ran into a mixing board.
Out of the mixer I resample off each machine into the X and sequence.
The S950 is fast and easy for drums and low pass. I never chop in the S950, because I already chopped in the X and sampled into the S950 sound by sound, keygroup by keygroup. Sounds are midi triggered obviously for looping a drum track. Volume levels are maintained in my mixing board. Resampled into the X.

When I exclusively use the ASR10 as my Main sequencer to build sequences and not the X, I track out record using track mutes and resampled into the X. Each track gets its own track in the X so I can use track mutes to arrange a song. Easy.

Keep in mind every sound starts in the X and saved raw and unfiltered. I can always restart the process if I need to re-edit a sound in the S950 or ASR. 9 times out of 10, I get the sound right the first time. If not, I can fix it in a daw or whatever.

My beats sound dope and I like my workflow this way.
I use no floppies in the S950. I use no SCSI on the Asr10.
LOL.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:20 pm
In other words, you're using the other samplers as sound processor. :lol: What mixer are you passing it through. Are you eqing or adding any other effects?

SILIS101 wrote:
Thanks for the compliments on my setup.
My process of saving a beat across all machines is simple. It's going to piss some of you off. I don't save per machine, I save it all in the X. LOL.

Here's my workflow,
Every sample I start with is sampled into the MPCX, timestretched, chopped, no filters.
Then samples are resampled in the machine of my choice and use that machine to get the sound I want for each sample (S950 filters etc, Asr10 sound design and effects etc).
The S950 is fast and easy for drums and low pass. I never chop in the S950, because I already chopped in the X and sampled into the S950 sound by sound, keygroup by keygroup. Sounds are midi triggered obviously for looping a drum track. Volume levels are maintained in my mixing board. Resampled into the X.

When I exclusively use the ASR10 as my Main sequencer to build sequences and not the X, I track out record using track mutes and resampled into the X. Each track gets its own track in the X so I can use track mutes to arrange a song. Easy.

Keep in mind every sound starts in the X and saved raw and unfiltered. I can always restart the process if I need to re-edit a sound in the S950 or ASR. 9 times out of 10, I get the sound right the first time. If not, I can fix it in a daw or whatever.

LOL.
By SILIS101 Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:40 pm
"CharlesRandolph"]In other words, you're using the other samplers as sound processor. :lol:

Yes Charles. I use each old machine for its unique sound processing. Soundcraft mixer. Alesis for reverb. ASR10 for more effects if needed.
If in any way I sacrifice sound quality and "character" by resampling my old gear into the X, it still sounds better than trying to emulate it by using Lofi-type plugins. No diss to those that do. I don't judge.
Old school or new school. If it sounds dope, its dope.

I also use NI Komplete sounds in my beats to compliment my beats with hi-res sounds. Old gear with new tech creates a level of dynamics I love.
Last edited by SILIS101 on Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By SILIS101 Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:46 pm
Fanu,
I wish you the best with the X. I listen to everything you release. I'm a fan. I would like to hear your workflow when using old and new gear together. Because, your definitely good at it.
Maybe you can teach me a different way other than I currently do.
I know you use Ableton to mix and master, I use Logic.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:00 pm
It's a shame those older sampler, don't allow audio pass through or do they? Haven't used them in such a long time. The good thing about the X is it's clean and transparent just as long as you don't hit it too hard. So what you put in, you'll get out. So quality and character should not change enough to notice.

SILIS101 wrote:
Yes Charles. I use each old machine for its unique sound processing. Soundcraft mixer. Alesis for reverb.
If in any way I sacrifice sound quality and "character" by resampling my old gear into the X, it still sounds better than trying to emulate it by using Lofi-type plugins. No diss to those that do. I don't judge.

I also use NI Komplete sounds in my beats to compliment my beats with hi-res sounds. Old gear with new tech creates a level of dynamics I love.
By SILIS101 Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:10 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:It's a shame those older sampler, don't allow audio pass through or do they. The good thing about the X is it's clean and transparent just as long as you don't hit it to hard. So what you put in, you'll get out.

SILIS101 wrote:
Yes Charles. I use each old machine for its unique sound processing. Soundcraft mixer. Alesis for reverb.

You can pass through the ASR for use with its effects. The ASR10 is new to me, so far all sounds are worth sampling into it, then normalize, turn boost on, convert to lower sample rate then add effects and sample the main outs again.
That ASR 10 can do a million more sound manipulations and design. I still can't fathom its worth to me and for the future of my beats.
By 40Beatz Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:15 pm
SILIS101 wrote:Thanks for the compliments on my setup.

Here's my workflow,

LOL.

I like ya Workflow. I kinda have the same workflow with FL. Sample everything in the MPC X. I'll use my Midi Outs of the X to control multiple channels in FL (Multi Timbrurally). Tweak the sounds how i want in FL, then sample back into the X to further sequence the Beat.

I figure, if i used Controller mode and the software, I would have to Resample tracks made in the Software. So i might as well use a DAW of my choice if i need certain VSTi's
Last edited by 40Beatz on Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Lampdog Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:16 pm
SILIS101 wrote:That ASR 10 can do a million more sound manipulations and design. I still can't fathom its worth to me and for the future of my beats.

Once you get into transwaves, you'll be like "Holy Mother of Beats!"

ASR-10 was WAY ahead of it's time. Old tech but still a beast!
I use to have my 2kxl main outs going into my asr10 line ins (using it as a mixer w/effects), asr10 main out going to computer.
SOOOO much fatness.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:19 pm
SILIS101 wrote:You can pass through the ASR for use with its effects. The ASR10 is new to me, so far all sounds are worth sampling into it, then normalize, turn boost on, convert to lower sample rate then add effects and sample the main outs again. That ASR 10 can do a million more sound manipulations and design. I still can't fathom its worth to me and for the future of my beats.

I've always like the Filter and Envelopes. Always wished Ensoniq would've released a standalone filter box. That way they could've had the Mirage, EPS, ASR 88 and ASR X all in one box.
By SILIS101 Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:30 pm
Lampdog wrote:
SILIS101 wrote:That ASR 10 can do a million more sound manipulations and design. I still can't fathom its worth to me and for the future of my beats.

Once you get into transwaves, you'll be like "Holy Mother of Beats!"

ASR-10 was WAY ahead of it's time. Old tech but still a beast!
I use to have my 2kxl main outs going into my asr10 line ins (using it as a mixer w/effects), asr10 main out going to computer.
SOOOO much fatness.

Lamp, I know you've mentioned about transwaves in the ASRonians thread multiple times. Gonna read about it and educate myself on creating some.
By SILIS101 Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:40 pm
@40Beats
Your workflow is exactly what I would do, especially to take advantage of the vsti's in FL or any daw. I resample into my MPC to sequence like you do because it's the best way. It's the fastest, I'm impatient and need to know ASAP if the beat is worth continuing to finish or scrap.