MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By SelectionTrain Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:38 pm
Greetings all! I'm just about to buy the mpc live and i need a simple small midi keyboard (25 Full size keys preferred) to drop some basslines and pads etc in standalone mode..
I already have a Maschine and love their VI's so an obvious choice would seem to be NI S25 as it seems to have high quality playable keys (which is what i worry about with cheap controllers) and obvs would come in useful for Maschine too.. but i heard it doesn't integrate well with the Live as a controller - Ideally would just be plugging in via USB and only sending midi out in this case, maybe mapping encoders - anyone have this running smoothly?
OR another option could be the Yamaha reface CP - i really wanted full size keys but this is supposed to be a really playable / quality mini keyboard so i might sacrifice that for the extra of having lovely rhodes to play with (used to have a nord electro, sold it and regret ever since! i LOVE rhodes) - but in that case i would be looking to use it as a controller for the live most of the time and occasionally sequence it from the Live and sample the results back in to it.. anyone know if this is a stupidly annoying prospect? it sounds like the CP's midi limitations might just cause a major headache in this plan, but my midi knowledge is shallow...one thing i know is i hate fiddling with all this irrelevant crap before making music! Does anyone use a CP with live and can recommend or put me off this idea?
Failing any of that i would love a good quality 25 key full size key controller with pitch bend and mod wheel but not much else so as small as possible - alesis Q25 seem to have cornered that market for 10 years!! Isn't there a high quality version of this form somewhere? I hear they're a bit crap but might get one anyway as only £50.
Thanks in advance peeps!