MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Eyalc Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:41 am
Don’t know who’s interested in Waves on here, but Horizon bundle is on sale for $274. That’s a crazy good price for where they’ve been with that bundle in the past.

Some love Waves, some can’t stand Waves. Not here to debate that. Just saying, if someone wants a collection of plugs, that sale is really good right now.
By Bezo Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:05 pm
I have their saturation stuff; Kramer & J37 tape, and Abbey Road Vinyl. Love'em. I considered some of the remaining Abbey Road series, but I'll likely pass.
By Monotremata Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:52 am
Bezo wrote:I have their saturation stuff; Kramer & J37 tape, and Abbey Road Vinyl. Love'em. I considered some of the remaining Abbey Road series, but I'll likely pass.

I have the plates and the chamber, they're pretty awesome but man, the plates can bring my quad Xeon Mac Pro to its knees in the MPC Software. Its a little more friendly in Logic but they're both still pretty cpu heavy that I often skip em and grab Little Plate and Echoboy instead.
By Eyalc Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:01 pm
Yeah some of their plugs are heavy that's for sure. I still use the L1 maximizer (or L3) to this day.

These days I'm more of a minimalist with my plugins. I used to want a large variety of dynamics plugs to use for certain situations. But these days I only use about 6 from different vendors (speaking dynamics, not instruments).

Their sales are getting better. Their update policy still stinks. But IMO it's a great deal if someone is looking for a toolbox of dynamics plugs.
By Bezo Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:06 pm
Monotremata wrote:I have the plates and the chamber, they're pretty awesome but man, the plates can bring my quad Xeon Mac Pro to its knees in the MPC Software. Its a little more friendly in Logic but they're both still pretty cpu heavy that I often skip em and grab Little Plate and Echoboy instead.
Echoboy is killer. I have Little Plate but haven't used it yet. Definitely need to test that out and likely get it into my templates. Another reason to hold off on more effects.

Damn regarding CPU usage. I'm 6 months in on a new i9 iMac. So far it's been a gorilla, but I'm not interested in finding it's breaking point.

Eyalc wrote:Yeah some of their plugs are heavy that's for sure. I still use the L1 maximizer (or L3) to this day.

These days I'm more of a minimalist with my plugins. I used to want a large variety of dynamics plugs to use for certain situations. But these days I only use about 6 from different vendors (speaking dynamics, not instruments).

Their sales are getting better. Their update policy still stinks. But IMO it's a great deal if someone is looking for a toolbox of dynamics plugs.
I tend to be light with creative type effects and don't have many. It took me forever to pull the trigger on the Soundtoys bundle. I passed on them through 3-4 major sales after being interested. I've leaned on FabFilter & those few Waves effects, and filled in the blanks with stuff I got in the Native Instruments bundle.

Yeah, not happy with Waves upgrade policy. The timing of my purchase got me a free upgrade. My year ended maybe a month after. But man, some of those Abbey Roads plugs sound nice.
By Monotremata Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:12 pm
Id bet those plugs run way better on an i9 iMac haha. Im using a 2010 Mac Pro that I upgraded to a quad 3.33Ghz CPU so Im still like 10 years behind everybody tech wise. I should probably look at getting a new Mac mini soon, but I got approved for Guitar Center credit last week. Just waiting on the card to show up in the mail and Im heading right over there to pick up a Live finally and get rid of the MPC software.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:14 pm
Is your MAC PRO 5.1 or 4.1? 10 year old.....wow. You computer is like 164 year old in human year with DDR3 RAM. :lol: Get apple credit!

Monotremata wrote:Id bet those plugs run way better on an i9 iMac haha. Im using a 2010 Mac Pro that I upgraded to a quad 3.33Ghz CPU so Im still like 10 years behind everybody tech wise. I should probably look at getting a new Mac mini soon, but I got approved for Guitar Center credit last week. Just waiting on the card to show up in the mail and Im heading right over there to pick up a Live finally and get rid of the MPC software.
By Bezo Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:27 pm
Monotremata wrote:Id bet those plugs run way better on an i9 iMac haha. Im using a 2010 Mac Pro that I upgraded to a quad 3.33Ghz CPU so Im still like 10 years behind everybody tech wise. I should probably look at getting a new Mac mini soon, but I got approved for Guitar Center credit last week. Just waiting on the card to show up in the mail and Im heading right over there to pick up a Live finally and get rid of the MPC software.
I was on a 2010 iMac until I decide to go all virtual. The only VI I used on that machine was BFD 1.5, and it struggled at times. It's a lower end one too, because I only needed it to run Pro Tools as not much more than a recorder, and later BFD.

I probably over did it with the i9, but I wanted to make sure.
By Eyalc Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:25 pm
Last year I bought a trash can Mac. Didn’t want to wait for the new Mac Pro, and had a strong feeling that it would be way above what I’m willing to spend on a Mac (and it is). Plus I didn’t have update all of my devices to USB-C. I put 128Gb of ram in it, so no hiccups or performance issues. Hopeful this computer lasts another 10 years, but doubtful the way hardware changes these days.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:49 pm
Eyalc wrote:Last year I bought a trash can Mac. Didn’t want to wait for the new Mac Pro, and had a strong feeling that it would be way above what I’m willing to spend on a Mac (and it is). Plus I didn’t have update all of my devices to USB-C. I put 128Gb of ram in it, so no hiccups or performance issues. Hopeful this computer lasts another 10 years, but doubtful the way hardware changes these days.

The Trash Can Mac for Music is very good and they should support it until 2023. Maxing out the RAM and installing a MVMe drive, as you know is the key. Never understood why people don't Max out their RAM, especially for WAVES plug ins.

Shame they didn't allow for DUAL MVMe drives. :-D
By Eyalc Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:53 pm
Yeah that whole architecture was disappointing. Such a closed system when it's supposed to be "pro". The new Mac Pro is much better from an expandability perspective, but that price though... :hmmm: :(
By CharlesRandolph Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:06 am
Starting at $6000 and maxed out around $36000. Honestly the new MAC PRO is made for video and photo editor. The Apple Pro Display XDR monitor is incredible and is a great price for what Pro needs. Plus a Eizo ColorEdge 32 inch - 4K monitor cost 6K.
By Danoc Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:56 am
Here's a coupon code to use on waves products. 10% off. Ir its $29 with the code it will be $24.

Code: YNY23
By Monotremata Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:59 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Is your MAC PRO 5.1 or 4.1? 10 year old.....wow. You computer is like 164 year old in human year with DDR3 RAM. :lol: Get apple credit!

Yeah hahaha its a 2010. It was the low end quad 2.8 or whatever? I just bought the new Xeon for it this past summer. It does the job though, my music is pretty minimal as it is and its not like Im doing it for money so it works for me. Ill probably end up replacing it with a Mac mini though. Now that I have the Live, I only need Logic to be a tape deck. I don't think Ill be doing much composing in it anymore. I didn't even realize I could use it as an audio interface too. I don't even have to turn on my MOTU until I need to multitrack now.