MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By firelight Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:38 am
Hey, new around here.

I use a "live" like workflow and bounce all my tracks to a long sequence for final track mute automation recording. I like the performance aspect of this workflow.

I want to add some variations to lets say hihats. Is there a way to overdub note off? Not a mute target, but actually record erasing the notes basically. Or, use full Record but only for a certain pad?

The hihats are 1/16T, and I want to punch in some slower stuff, without having to go into the piano roll and manually cut everything out. I'm keeping the workflow as close to live as possible, I find that keeps my juices going.

Thx.
By Lampdog Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:27 am
Wouldn’t it be easier to have hats on their own trackto do edits, overdubs, erase while recording?

One long sequence can still have 1 instrument per track to do this.
By firelight Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:49 am
@Lampdog Yeah I tried exploding tracks and then punching Rec + new notes on areas I want to change, but my X starting getting super slow when I did this. Also record went bananas and wasn't even erasing the hihats. Plus it screws up all the mute automation.

I'm all ears for a better way to do this.
By bees80 Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:03 pm
pspsounds wrote:One option is to draw it in grid mode or step mode.

firelight wrote: without having to go into the piano roll and manually cut everything out.

:)

What i would do is already make these changes in the sequence, before you even convert the song to one big sequence. Copy the sequence where you want changes to a new sequence, make the hihat change, and incorporate this sequence in your song and then convert it to a sequence for your final mute/automation changes.