MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Monotremata Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:57 pm
c-real wrote:
Monotremata wrote:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BBD7NFU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

*Revelation* : so you plug a standard USB-3 type A cable into one of the two USB female ports of the MPC Live, isn't it? I thought we had to plug into the USB-3 type B, as shows the following picture:

Is that correct?

No that's the the host port for the computer connection. You need to use the other two for the network adapter.
By c-real Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:15 pm
Monotremata wrote:No that's the the host port for the computer connection. You need to use the other two for the network adapter.

Okay, perfect, I'm immediatly buying an adapter like the one you bought and will give a try with one of the two USB type A port. Thanks for you explanation :-D
By Monotremata Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:59 am
Notes seem to work ok, I was playing Pigments with it the other day. I still haven't gotten MMC figured out yet though. If I have it set so the MPC sends it and Logic is listening for it, when you hit play in the MPC, Logic's display like bunches up and just shuffles around a little and plays a quick burst of noise but won't play the song. It'll sit there bouncing around a couple bars freaking out erratically. I haven't really played with it much cause once I got the sync working I just hit play in Logic and let it be the master, but my shits already done in the MPC so it just needs to play back in time.

Its funny someone was asking about this over at the GetSatisfaction forums last week. I put in a couple replies to help out, and here comes good old "support" Eliza telling everyone how the Network MIDI app is ONLY for Ableton Live. Really? So why did they make it a system wide generic CoreMIDI port that works with anything that works with CoreMIDI? I seriously don't think she has a clue about anything anymore and she's just reading the scripts they gave her like a good little corporate parrot.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:50 am
It seems to work, however like you said, MMC does not functions. So from their stand point, it's not fully functioning like a MIDI devices is suppose to.

Monotremata wrote:Notes seem to work ok, I was playing Pigments with it the other day. I still haven't gotten MMC figured out yet though. If I have it set so the MPC sends it and Logic is listening for it, when you hit play in the MPC, Logic's display like bunches up and just shuffles around a little and plays a quick burst of noise but won't play the song. It'll sit there bouncing around a couple bars freaking out erratically. I haven't really played with it much cause once I got the sync working I just hit play in Logic and let it be the master, but my **** already done in the MPC so it just needs to play back in time.

Its funny someone was asking about this over at the GetSatisfaction forums last week. I put in a couple replies to help out, and here comes good old "support" Eliza telling everyone how the Network MIDI app is ONLY for Ableton Live. Really? So why did they make it a system wide generic CoreMIDI port that works with anything that works with CoreMIDI? I seriously don't think she has a clue about anything anymore and she's just reading the scripts they gave her like a good little corporate parrot.
By Monotremata Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:58 pm
Im starting to wonder if that's just the MPC though. It can receive MMC just fine from Logic, its the MPC itself that cant send it right. Ill have to try it out tonight without the network driver. If the MPC can send it out correctly, it will hit my Emu and activate the internal sequencer (you cant disable the internal sequencer on it) so I can check that way.
By c-real Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:32 pm
Hi,

I come back after testing this USB to RJ45 adapter: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B074CD ... UTF8&psc=1

The connection does not work at all.

As soon as I plug the adapter in one of the two USB ports available on the MPC Live, the screen shows "This USB device is not supported". I nevertheless tried to plug the ethernet cable in the adapter and, on the other side, into my router or my computer. Nothing's happened. The status is still "disconnected" as indicated in the Ethernet preferences on the MPC Live. The Akai MIDI network also says that the MPC is not available on the network.

So I decided to try the manual way. I set the IP address of the computer, the subnet mask, the default gateway, but I let the DNS on 0.0.0.0 because it's the only information I don't know. Nothing's happened too.

I give up and will work with an unwired connection and its latency, which unfortunately will force me not to me bring the MPC to performances. Too bad.
By Monotremata Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:54 pm
Its still working fine over here. Maybe send the adapter you bought back to Amazon and see if you can get the one I posted shipped to you. It works perfectly.
By c-real Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:09 pm
You're right. I will send it back to Amazon and finally try with the one you bought.

In the meantime, I will try with an Ethernet cable cat 6 because I used a cat 5e but the specs of the adapter suggests rather a cat 6 (but just to improve performance). And it clearly says that it is plug and play, so the problem can not come from any driver.

Just curious: what is the category of your ethernet cable?
By Monotremata Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:28 am
Its some random old CAT5 cable I found in a bag underneath my bed. Probably came with a router or something years ago.
By Elektrobolt Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:37 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Monotremata wrote: Ive read that the MPC is pretty bad at being the master.

Crazy because the MPC was built to be the MASTER. :lol: Funny how things change.

I do not know what kind of OS the "older" traditional MPC's had, but it seems the current issues (not just timing, but looking at the general traction of getting things like a complete MIDI implementation, etc.) have a relation to the fact that the current one is on Linux, not saying in any way a fault of Linux mind you, but the fact that Akai did/do not have the long time experience in this arena.
By c-real Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:03 pm
Here we are! Just received the adapter from Cable Matters and it works => plug, play!

The latency does not seem to be an issue anymore :) But only at home... Indeed, it does not work when plugging the ethernet cable directly to the computer. The status is "connected", not "online", even if the Akai Network recognizes the MPC Live. I also tried to use DHCP Server (which builds a DHCP server based on a network card of the computer). But with no luck.

And now each time I shut on the MPC Live, I got this message: "A network error occured whilst accessing Splice"

Thanks Akai for this great time