MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By JasonSparks Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:58 pm
Big assumption but I'm assuming the MPC 2.8 beta is being tested at the moment. Anyone know if multitimbral midi has been implemented. I use my Akai MPC Live as my main brains/sequencer while I rapidly get song ideas together - it's amazing not working in front of a laptop. Unfortunately, when it comes to converting ideas into complex arrangements, and adding all the intricacies, my plan was to do that in Apple Logic. The midi tracks in the MPC Live are easy enough to bring into Logic but I can't control the sounds in the MPC (i.e. all the drum programs) from Logic as different Kits are on different channels so I need multitimbral midi hence me asking. Otherwise, has anyone found a good workaround? Something I'm perhaps missing.
By 40Beatz Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:04 pm
You'll have to Slave the Live/X, in the Settings page. That way Logic will be able to trigger Midi Tracks. But then Live/X will not be the "Brains" anymore lol
By c-real Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:50 pm
JasonSparks wrote:Big assumption but I'm assuming the MPC 2.8 beta is being tested at the moment. Anyone know if multitimbral midi has been implemented. I use my Akai MPC Live as my main brains/sequencer while I rapidly get song ideas together - it's amazing not working in front of a laptop. Unfortunately, when it comes to converting ideas into complex arrangements, and adding all the intricacies, my plan was to do that in Apple Logic. The midi tracks in the MPC Live are easy enough to bring into Logic but I can't control the sounds in the MPC (i.e. all the drum programs) from Logic as different Kits are on different channels so I need multitimbral midi hence me asking. Otherwise, has anyone found a good workaround? Something I'm perhaps missing.

Based on the main screen view of all the One presentation videos (in which we could assume runs on 2.8), I would say "No". You could probably wait for the 3.0 version of the firmware (maybe 2.9 but I'm not optimistic), which will maybe presented at NAMM 2021 (but I really hope before!).
By EnochLight Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:38 am
c-real wrote:Based on the main screen view of all the One presentation videos (in which we could assume runs on 2.8), I would say "No". You could probably wait for the 3.0 version of the firmware (maybe 2.9 but I'm not optimistic), which will maybe presented at NAMM 2021 (but I really hope before!).

If they stick to point updates every quarter, which they have for all of 2019 and most of 2018, then we can expect 2.8 by March 31, 2020 and 2.9 by June 30, 2020. That would mean 3.0 should appear in early fall by September 30, 2020.

No clue if they'll make that release schedule, though.
Bymember04959388 Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:33 pm
I have the feeling Akai will accomplish all promised stuff in next updates.
It's investing on Mpc platform as One release clearly show us.
So all this months of silence was just a reorganization of all, I suppose.
And now they have to push One and Force with anything they can so it's gonna be a good update year.
And it will be for all the platform, all included.
I hope multi midi will be one of the first to be implemented, I think Mpc really needs that more then all the other features to be a midi hub.
By EnochLight Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:56 pm
Totally agree. They also spent a ton of time putting together tutorial videos, which absorbs a lot of hours between shooting and editing video and doing voice overs. Add to that the preparation and time committed to making an appearance at NAMM, throw in the holidays from last month, releasing 2.7, and I think we can all agree Akai has been slammed busy!
By STREPITE Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:48 am
2.8. is currently not being tested, at least by beta testers on the private AKAI sub forum, so I guess it's safe to say we'll not see next firmware update for at least 2,3 months...

The lack of proper MIDI input configuration is so annoying I'll wait for another firmware update, and if they fail to implement this I'm selling the machine, not buying anything from AKAI ever again, and looking elsewhere. I'm not willing to wait for basic midi implementation until freaking 2021. while they are busy converting a standalone machine into a pricey midi controller for software DAW's...

If they want to focus on kids launching loops, thinking they're making music, okay, but don't dare to call this half cooked machine a "studio centrepiece" or "professional"
By 40Beatz Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:31 pm
STREPITE wrote:The lack of proper MIDI input configuration is so annoying I'll wait for another firmware update, and if they fail to implement this I'm selling the machine, not buying anything from AKAI ever again, and looking elsewhere. I'm not willing to wait for basic midi implementation until freaking 2021. while they are busy converting a standalone machine into a pricey midi controller for software DAW's...

If they want to focus on kids launching loops, thinking they're making music, okay, but don't dare to call this half cooked machine a "studio centrepiece" or "professional"

Im just curious....Can you guys explain the Scenario or setup thats using the Multi Midi Input to its fullest potential. Ive asked a few times, and nobody has really described in detail.
One guy said he just wants to Jam out with him and his partner at the same time lol.

Forgive me if im Illiterate in this area.

And when you ready to get rid of it, hit me up....because I'll put that Professional Piece to use properly lol
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:02 pm
STREPITE wrote:2.8. is currently not being tested, at least by beta testers on the private AKAI sub forum, so I guess it's safe to say we'll not see next firmware update for at least 2,3 months...

The private beta forum is, I believe, only for testing 'release candidates', so it's difficult to know when the next release will be based on that forum alone. In theory a release candidate could appear there tomorrow and if there's no issues, be released a week later.
By Calcaire Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:47 pm
@40 Beatz .. Here is my "multitimbral scenario", Hope it will help you understand why we are a lot to ask for multi channel midi In. I think lot of people had a different scenario. Sorry for my english .

I had a Mpc 1000 and could do this (JJOS) , and it was so logical and practical , like a perfect complement to the beloved MPC workflow.

I use my MPC Live , with the MPC playing drums programs, sequencing external synths and using the looper to make "build-ups" on stage.. It could be the same scenario for a producer workflow that is not "sample only".

My midi keyboards and controllers can send and receive Midi notes and control message to 16 channels. MPC can send to 16 chanbnels also, but receive only one, on the active track in MAIN mode. So I need multitimbrality for :

- Playing several keygroups / plugins / midi program at once with my external keyboard (example : bass / pluck / lead / fx ) on 4 channels . It means be able to choose to play 1- To 16 tracks at once / splitted / etc ... Without depending on which track is active on the MPC . ALso When you're on "NEXT SEQ " " TRACK MUTE" or "PAD MUTE" or "LOOPER" you can always keep on playing the other instruments. So the MPC becomes a real centerpiece in studio, or "live", as they say. And therefore I don't need no external sound modules because I can play only the sounds of my mpc , switching it easily and playing 2 or 3 at once like real MIDI sequencer do !!!

So you can play 1 to 16 different sounds while keeping the pads on one program , free for finger drumming / drops / etc...
And you don' t need to constantly select one and only one track to work on. You design what you need to control and then it works, like on EVERY sequencer (hardware or DAW) since 25 years.

- I also play with a 6 voices digital/analog multitimbral polysynth ( Mutable Instruments Ambika , fantastic) , I would get lot more flexibility with multitimbrality on mpc , in order to make that synth really alive , choosing on each sequence which program and which voice I play with my midi keyboards, recording automation ,etc... This is for playing in realtime, not put thing together and press play ( for this my MPC live is perfect)

- Record in live several tracks at once : bulding a song in direct without making it "track by track" , so better interaction with other musicians or audience .

- Assign every controller I would need on keygroups / drum programs / loopers , for 16 or 32 (using two midi ports) programs of the MPC !!! Once again, it makes you free to play without constantly checking and changing the active track on the MPC. Like getting 16 x16 q links ...

Actually, getting my mpc multitimbral would permit me not to bring 1 more generic synth(Claviai NordStage) on stage just to be able to play a bass a rhodes and a lead synth at once. Could do this with my mpc only and 600 mo of RAM (my Nord Stage gets really heavy results with only 250 mo of samples). Just a well configured light midi keyboard and you win.

Here is my band teaser --- Drums on MPC , midi sequences also, but could be so much better with full control of 16 tracks by MIDI !

Why I'm trying to make these days, because tired of waiting for the multitimbral update. : Splitted keygroups programs , that allows me to play 2 or 3 different sounds on only one program. It works, it 's a PITA, but you result by playing splitted sounds as you wish.. But you still need to get this track selected on the MPC in order to play it... You can't modify any other tracks without loosing the control on your keygroups ---> WE NEED MULTIMBRAL.

Cheers, I'll be glad to read other people multitmbral scenario !!
-

-
By 40Beatz Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:31 pm
Oooo Ok i have a better understanding now. Im gettin the sense that Multi Timbural on the Input, is mainly a desire to Control Multiple Channels in a Live Performance Environment versus a Studio Environment.

I always thought...If i have multiple Guys on different instruments playing Live in a Performance, I would want them on Separate Keyboard Workstations, controlling their own sounds. And have everyone feeding thru a High Quality Mixer. Versus Bottlenecking Midi Controllers thru the X/Live. One Glitch/Power Outage with the X/Live and POOF! Performance is Over! Crowd Goes Home Pissed lol

If the X/Live Malfunctions, at least you'll have the Band still Jammin Out, if a Mixer is Incorporated.

I Guess Akai didnt think things thru when they Designed the Hardware and OS. They probably assumed what i was thinkin...lol "Get a Mixer" "Lets Concentrate on these New Millenium Producers who wants their Beats Pre-Made" Lmao
By Calcaire Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:48 pm
haha Yes you're right, it can be risky to overcharge a project with hundreds of programs and track, and anyway you always need a mixer and use the separate outputs of the mpc at max ( i use the 6 outs : kicks, snares, hi hats and percussions on 1_2_3_4, then one stereo out for the sample loops and internal keyboards :) . But we just want the ability to record and play in real time several tracks :)
By Bezo Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:33 pm
Funny, I just asked a similar question on Gearslutz. Yeah, it definitely seems like a wish list item for live or jam use. As good as the MPC's sequencer is for linear work, other sequencers offer randomizing features great for those scenarios.

I hope we all get what we're looking for. As I said on Gearslutz, most of us that appear to complain believe the Live & X are great machines and just think it would be perfect if it did that one other thing.