MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By NearTao Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:07 am
If I could fit the Live in my backpack properly I would've kept it. For me it's probably 2-4" too long, and could probably be a bit thinner. On the other hand... having 8 q-links and a single button to swap between the two sets would absolutely be killer. So *shrug*... for now I'll stick with the X.
By jpeg Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:21 pm
looking at the mpc one i would assume that akai is going back to the original formula; cos the mpc one is gonna be a hit like the mpc 1000 was.

so i hope the live mk2 keeps the built in battery but takes styling cues from the mpc studio black, and the 3k black and adds the mpc one screen, maybe with an even more sensitive touch screen, that is tilt-able.

I also hope they add the some features from the force such as the fader and the led strips over the qlinks; if they do that live is going on ebay quick fast.

i like the live it has a stealthy solid build but its a block; i still think the pads r too stiff, the mpc2kxl se2 edition had the nicest pads imo.
By Unreallystic Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:25 pm
NearTao wrote:If I could fit the Live in my backpack properly I would've kept it. For me it's probably 2-4" too long, and could probably be a bit thinner. On the other hand... having 8 q-links and a single button to swap between the two sets would absolutely be killer. So *shrug*... for now I'll stick with the X.

With the One in existence, a more portable version of the Live would be a good take, I actually like the width and depth of the Live, its comfortable, but I would LOVE for it to be thinner and lighter. I don't really feel the need for a second column of q-links, it won't really save you much, but I'd be all for OLED displays for them - unnecessary yes, but would help me out as sometimes I don't see what's currently highlighted and have to hold the Q-Link button to know...but that's more me needing to know my gear just a little bit better.
- Unreall
By rvense Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:31 pm
I really like that it's thick enough it can stand upright. I use it like that quite often when I'm just recording into it or tweaking a sequence. If I can change its dimensions I'd take 5cm or so off the width so it fit better in my backpack...
By Tabletop Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:41 pm
NearTao wrote:If I could fit the Live in my backpack properly I would've kept it. For me it's probably 2-4" too long, and could probably be a bit thinner. On the other hand... having 8 q-links and a single button to swap between the two sets would absolutely be killer. So *shrug*... for now I'll stick with the X.

Theres probably a backpack out there that is 2-4" bigger and will fit your need :) but I hear you, the size/weight is just enough to make it awkward.
I'm hoping mk2 will be smaller & add more power!
By kaydigi Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:44 pm
Tabletop wrote:

Theres probably a backpack out there that is 2-4" bigger and will fit your need :) but I hear you, the size/weight is just enough to make it awkward.
I'm hoping mk2 will be smaller & add more power!

Yeah I bought one of the magna cases and just put that in an oversized jansport. The live’s size is not travel friendly enough for me
By Bezo Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:50 pm
Any smaller & you'd have to give something up... I/O, battery, pad size, screen size, buttons, etc. I hope they don't attempt to shrink it if there's an MK2.

Wow though! I don't recall anyone being unhappy with the Live's size until the One dropped. I imagined them adding a 1/2 inch to an inch each way to add more controls, though there's plenty of wasted space currently.
Bymember04959388 Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:58 pm
Bezo wrote:Any smaller & you'd have to give something up... I/O, battery, pad size, screen size, buttons, etc. I hope they don't attempt to shrink it if there's an MK2.

Wow though! I don't recall anyone being unhappy with the Live's size until the One dropped. I imagined them adding a 1/2 inch to an inch each way to add more controls, though there's plenty of wasted space currently.

Yeah I was also surprised to read on fb pages many people saying Live design is terrible, it cannot fit in a bag, it's heavy and things like that.
Before One dropped, I never read anyone complaining about it.
Wow.
People just need to feel they are on the last trend of the marketing I guess.
They don't even realize that One is a downgrade of Live.
By kaydigi Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:46 pm
Frisbi wrote:
Bezo wrote:Any smaller & you'd have to give something up... I/O, battery, pad size, screen size, buttons, etc. I hope they don't attempt to shrink it if there's an MK2.

Yeah I was also surprised to read on fb pages many people saying Live design is terrible, it cannot fit in a bag, it's heavy and things like that.
Before One dropped, I never read anyone complaining about it.
Wow.
People just need to feel they are on the last trend of the marketing I guess.
They don't even realize that One is a downgrade of Live.

There were plenty people not liking the Live's design. Mainly the lack of locator buttons, no function buttons, and the screen being on the right.

My complaints were the qlink orientation and the the length of the unit.
By Caustic Yoda Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:04 am
the desing of the live is a bit clunky and should be swapped left to right for most people are right handed for drumming, mpcs with smaller pads tho i dont care for, the 1000 pads were the worst and i rate the pads on the live over all my legacy mpcs even tho it fails at midi smaller pads just arent right, i thought jade wiis review of the one was spot on, who cares if the software isnt fixed after 3yrs of v2 its still got same problems
By Tabletop Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:34 am

Think of all the power in a laptop. You could definitely fit a lot more power in a smaller box than the live. (I know this is comparing apples to oranges) but that TE OP-Z is the size of a remote and can do a lot.
I like the live and probably wont jump at the mk2 unless it is unbelievable.
By hellnegative Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:26 pm
For a Live MK2, I'd like to see all the extra buttons from the MPC One added to it (Maybe laid out in a row at the bottom), the Q Link knobs showing what each knob does when you touch them (little banner popping out to the left on screen next to the buttons), more inputs (for connecting synths), and 16 step sequencer located at the bottom (similar to the TR8S and SP1 layout). If not separate sequencer buttons, at least be able to have the pad sequencer play from top to bottom instead of from bottom to top.
By Bezo Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:02 pm
Tabletop wrote:

Think of all the power in a laptop. You could definitely fit a lot more power in a smaller box than the live. (I know this is comparing apples to oranges) but that TE OP-Z is the size of a remote and can do a lot.
I like the live and probably wont jump at the mk2 unless it is unbelievable.
But it's not a laptop or TE OPZ. It's an MPC. Without advancements in tech, you can't add physical features and shrink the unit.

This is assuming things were placed efficiently this time. I believe too much space was given to branding that could've gone to buttons, but other than that...