MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By lzr Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:56 am
Hello, everyone.

I'm having trouble figuring out what most of the options mean under Hardware on MIDI Control page in MPC Live. I thought I'd be able to set up various notes to be sent out via MIDI out port when I press various hardware buttons (I was also secretly hoping that some actions that don't have a dedicated button like Sampler will also be available for setup).

However, no buttons send any notes for some reason except the Q-Link knobs. Even the pads don't send any MIDI out unless I'm on a MIDI program and I'm connected to it's MIDI port.

On a separate note, when I go to Preferences => Hardware => MIDI Control Mode Output, what does the Remote option mean? I was secretly hoping it would send out stuff over USB-MIDI but it also doesn't seem to be working.
By Monotremata Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:03 pm
It only sends MIDI if you're on a MIDI track. Otherwise the MPC doesn't have any use for MIDI with its own internal programs.

As for remote, Remote=Akai Network MIDI. Works fine over USB, you're just not using it the way its intended to be used. Its for when you want to use it along side a DAW in standalone mode.
Bymember04959388 Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:08 pm
Monotremata wrote:It only sends MIDI if you're on a MIDI track. Otherwise the MPC doesn't have any use for MIDI with its own internal programs.

As for remote, Remote=Akai Network MIDI. Works fine over USB, you're just not using it the way its intended to be used. Its for when you want to use it along side a DAW in standalone mode.

It also sends program change. You make a midi track, select a program change and save it with the project and so everytime you load the project, it automatically sends the program change as you load it
By lzr Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:01 pm
Thank you for replying. I did some tests and being on a MIDI program seemed to make no difference.

However, I figured out a way to send the notes but it's weird. I was able to see MIDI going on when pressing Copy, Undo, Tap and Erase buttons (which I guess matches the manual), but only when I'm in MIDI Control menu (regardless of whether currently selected track was a MIDI program)! When I get out of the menu, no MIDI is being sent.

So now I wonder if it's a bug. And if it's not, what possible use can it have?