MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Fre$hBreath Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:01 pm
Disk streaming is trending in MPC Facebook groups lately and it has me curious as to why so many want this feature.

I know why I want it, but it’s not more important to me than plug-in delay compensation or improved I/O routing, or a true linear timeline.

But I want to know what you’re gonna get out of disk streaming?
Bymember04959388 Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:07 pm
Ahah now you drop the bomb.
It's not important for me but I can see people using keygroups heavily are waiting for it to ease the cpu and free ram.
Anyway many people talk about it like a magic stick to solve all Mpc limitations.
In my opinion, limitations can be solved putting a new motherboard with better cpu and more ram.
But I never run out of memory so take my opinions as very personal and related to my personal workflow
By EnochLight Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:22 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:Disk streaming is trending in MPC Facebook groups lately and it has me curious as to why so many want this feature.

I know why I want it, but it’s not more important to me than plug-in delay compensation or improved I/O routing, or a true linear timeline.

The only thing I want disc streaming/direct to disc for is for standalone - I don't use the desktop software, so PDC isn't a feature that's important to me. For standalone, adding disc streaming could allegedly allow the following:

• Unlimited length for audio tracks/samples
  • The addition of more than 8 stereo audio tracks
  • Larger keygroups that can be streamed from disc and not needed to be 100% loaded into RAM
  • New standalone plugins that utilize a rompler approach with unlimited sample data content size

These are the things that stick out, which are pretty much just things that would get around the 2 GB RAM limitation in the current product lineup.
Bymember04959388 Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:45 pm
EnochLight wrote:
Fre$hBreath wrote:Disk streaming is trending in MPC Facebook groups lately and it has me curious as to why so many want this feature.

The only thing I want disc streaming/direct to disc for is for standalone - I don't use the desktop software, so PDC isn't a feature that's important to me. For standalone, adding disc streaming could allegedly allow the following:

• Unlimited length for audio tracks/samples
  • The addition of more than 8 stereo audio tracks
  • Larger keygroups that can be streamed from disc and not needed to be 100% loaded into RAM
  • New standalone plugins that utilize a rompler approach with unlimited sample data content size

These are the things that stick out, which are pretty much just things that would get around the 2 GB RAM limitation in the current product lineup.

Yeah that makes sense.
But would you trust working in a live performance with disk streaming?
I already had many problems with my internal hd- maybe just a faulty hd but I am not sure.
And I am not sure that forcing Mpc to work with streaming would not result in some problems, dropouts and things like that.
And I am not sure it would result in conflicts into internal mpc architecture.
I would trust an Mpc working as it is now but with more space on Ram for keygroup heavy users
By MPC-Tutor Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:40 pm
I'd also be concerned about the reliability of disk streaming, especially if people are trying to stream off a low performance drive or SD card. I'd be surprised if Akai enable this for things like keygroup programs, for a start mpc keygroup program spec is pretty limited so you're not going to suddenly be able to take advantage of any additional sample size, plus even if you could I suspect CPU will then become a major hurdle.

I'd imagine it will be limited to audio tracks. I also don't see why you'd need streaming for a rompler,Hype does something similar (mix of wavetables and multisamples) and that doesn't need disk streaming. It just needs loads of disk space.
By EnochLight Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:11 pm
Well, at this point that's all speculation. As Andy Mac confirmed in the Sonic State NAMM video that it is "certainly" coming, it's anyone's guess as to what form it will appear in. Probably some time in 2021 or 2022 anyway. :lol:
By Bezo Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:17 pm

I want DS so that I can use higher quality instruments. My 1st autosampled keygroup was an 88-key, 4-layer, single stride piano. And it took more than half the RAM from what I remember.

PDC was more important to me when I was using the software. But there are other things I would need to ever consider using the software again. Support for multi-output VIs, VCA tracks, stereo panning, etc.
By 40Beatz Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:37 pm
EnochLight wrote:Well, at this point that's all speculation. As Andy Mac confirmed in the Sonic State NAMM video that it is "certainly" coming, it's anyone's guess as to what form it will appear in. Probably some time in 2021 or 2022 anyway. :lol:

Yea I believe Disc Streaming is Coming....but in a New Model Of Course :lol:
By c-real Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:50 pm
For me, disc streaming would be useful to play gigs with my band. We have percussion backtracks for all tracks, the two musicians play traditional instruments and I play bass synth (with a Novation Ultranova). I dream of just bringing my MPC Live & my synth, so that I could play synth but also finger drumming short sequences in sync with the backtracks. I could also use the looper and the XY FX. In short, disc streaming would be a huge improvement for me because I could get rid of my computer for gigs, which is what I aim for :)

NB : for the time being, I find the MPC Live not designed for concerts (excepted for finger drumming), even if I like this machine. Just my 2 cents here for improving the "Live" of MPC Live: disc streaming, multi MIDI input (or call it the way want), 16 mono tracks, remote MIDI mapping (looper section and q-links especially), esay way to navigate through bars in sequencer mode, more physical buttons (MPC One is the right choice for this purpose), etc.
Bymember04959388 Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:01 pm
c-real wrote:For me, disc streaming would be useful to play gigs with my band. We have percussion backtracks for all tracks, the two musicians play traditional instruments and I play bass synth (with a Novation Ultranova). I dream of just bringing my MPC Live & my synth, so that I could play synth but also finger drumming short sequences in sync with the backtracks. I could also use the looper and the XY FX. In short, disc streaming would be a huge improvement for me because I could get rid of my computer for gigs, which is what I aim for :)

NB : for the time being, I find the MPC Live not designed for concerts (excepted for finger drumming), even if I like this machine. Just my 2 cents here for improving the "Live" of MPC Live: disc streaming, multi MIDI input (or call it the way want), 16 mono tracks, remote MIDI mapping (looper section and q-links especially), esay way to navigate through bars in sequencer mode, more physical buttons (MPC One is the right choice for this purpose), etc.

I use Live for concerts.
If you stay around track mute, qlink page and next sequence it makes its job very well.
I actually think it shines when used live.
But yeah, XY and looper could be improved a lot.
For example, if we could assign looper just to a subgroup or an output, it would make much more sense, we could choose what to send inside the looper rather then being forced to use it just for master channel.
And XY are very lame, I was a Kaosspad heavy user but I never use XY on Mpc, it doesn't have any interesting effect.
By c-real Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:34 pm
Frisbi wrote:I use Live for concerts.
If you stay around track mute, qlink page and next sequence it makes its job very well.
For example, if we could assign looper just to a subgroup or an output, it would make much more sense, we could choose what to send inside the looper rather then being forced to use it just for master channel.
And XY are very lame, I was a Kaosspad heavy user but I never use XY on Mpc, it doesn't have any interesting effect.

For sure, it could be used for live concerts and I'm glad you achieve this, but I can't really use it with my band for example (until disk streaming comes, if it ever comes someday...). I will give a try soon for a DJ set but, another thing: I can't connect the MPC Live with an ethernet cable to my computer (but it works via the router), which means that I won't use Ableton Link to play live with my DJ controller that does not have a MIDI output by the way (a little frustrating I admit).

Yes, track/pad mutes are one of the nice features to enjoy the machine quickly :)

It would be cool if we could route the looper to an audio output pair (or just subgroups as you mentioned). By the way, I just don't understand why I can't use a MIDI switch pedal to engage the looper (and record a guitar loop). It drived me nuts when I realised this one year ago. Also, maybe someday we'll be able to choose what project/program/pad parameter we want on each axis of the XY pad FX...

Okay okay, I'm done polutting this thread :)
By Cockdiesel Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:12 pm
What if it doesn’t live up to your expectations? I mean disk streaming was literally four voices on the 404.... it would shut off other samples if you played more.

I get it, it would be nice for them to magically turn this machine into more of a “daw”.

4 layers 88 samples.... man sounds like something that should be run from a computer. I hear you and am a “standalone” type dude but at some point we need to have realistic expectations and not moan when we don’t get exactly what we want

I imagine we will also get the ability to stream tracks but doubtful you’ll be able to edit them much.

My only experience with streaming is the 404, so please enlighten me on features on other devices that should be a no brainer.

It’s implementation on the 404 was so rudimentary that when I see people bitching about streaming I honestly laugh.

Like people moaning about more sample time on the 4000. If you need more than a few minutes of sample time you’re doing something wrong and I am assuming very unoriginal. Much like my 404 and 4 track beats
Bymember04959388 Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:25 pm
c-real wrote:
Frisbi wrote:I use Live for concerts.

For sure, it could be used for live concerts and I'm glad you achieve this, but I can't really use it with my band for example (until disk streaming comes, if it ever comes someday...). I will give a try soon for a DJ set but, another thing: I can't connect the MPC Live with an ethernet cable to my computer (but it works via the router), which means that I won't use Ableton Link to play live with my DJ controller that does not have a MIDI output by the way (a little frustrating I admit).

Yes, track/pad mutes are one of the nice features to enjoy the machine quickly :)

It would be cool if we could route the looper to an audio output pair (or just subgroups as you mentioned). By the way, I just don't understand why I can't use a MIDI switch pedal to engage the looper (and record a guitar loop). It drived me nuts when I realised this one year ago. Also, maybe someday we'll be able to choose what project/program/pad parameter we want on each axis of the XY pad FX...

Okay okay, I'm done polutting this thread :)

You are not polluting anything, just the opposite.
I think Mpc has its own workflow, pros and cons, it can match your way of making music or, if it doesn't match, it can be a nightmare.
If I understood the way you use it, it would be a nightmare for me.
For example I don't use audio tracks, if I have to I sample them and use the sample on a drum program.
I wouldn't even try to use it with a guitar, I am sure I had latency and the sound would be not the best.
You have to think about it as an advanced sampler and work with it with this in mind.
For me it was easy, I always made sample based music using my own samples so the majority of the work I make is before playing, organizing all the material so I can play live without worrying and just concentrating on how to arrange and mix the samples through track mute and next sequence and give motion to them with effects on assigned qlinks on qlink page.
I also started to spread the tracks in different tracks so I don't have to use pad mute.
So at the end, when all is organized well, I mostly stay on track mute page (where I can also change sequence) and sometimes jump to qlink page for effects.
I really like that workflow because it actually matches my workflow.