MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By astral_Signal Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:50 am
I feel like Akai has really made some bizarre design choices for the MPC One. 1x stereo out and USB 2.0 stand out to me as a lost opportunity for a 2020 product.

Disk streaming, if I understand correctly, allows you to record directly to an external drive HDD/SSD. Again, I don’t understand why Akai can not achieve this for a product released in 2020. Despite the obvious shortcomings of the One, disk streaming if available for this product would have been its saving grace and made a reassuring statement moving forward with their product range.
Bymember04959388 Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:59 am
astral_Signal wrote:I feel like Akai has really made some bizarre design choices for the MPC One. 1x stereo out and USB 2.0 stand out to me as a lost opportunity for a 2020 product.

Disk streaming, if I understand correctly, allows you to record directly to an external drive HDD/SSD. Again, I don’t understand why Akai can not achieve this for a product released in 2020. Despite the obvious shortcomings of the One, disk streaming if available for this product would have been its saving grace and made a reassuring statement moving forward with their product range.

Uhm no man, disk streaming is just reading your samples from the disk instead of reading from the Ram.
So it frees space on the Ram.
It's not that easy as you think.
This Akai didn't make it yet.
We are discussing about that.
We don't even know if they can make it and some say it will come for sure, some it will never come.
It's like a Messiah for the salvation of Mpc.
By Cockdiesel Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:19 am
I’ll agree with eyalc on this one. Not sure how much I’d use it, unless it totally changes the architecture of the machine but for now, I just sequence other hardware, and program my drums on the thing. True I use keygroups a lot but they are just nice to have, I don’t make anything all that complex and really like just having some extra flavors.
By c-real Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:17 am
Frisbi wrote:You are not polluting anything, just the opposite.
I think Mpc has its own workflow, pros and cons, it can match your way of making music or, if it doesn't match, it can be a nightmare.
If I understood the way you use it, it would be a nightmare for me.
For example I don't use audio tracks, if I have to I sample them and use the sample on a drum program.
I wouldn't even try to use it with a guitar, I am sure I had latency and the sound would be not the best.
You have to think about it as an advanced sampler and work with it with this in mind.
For me it was easy, I always made sample based music using my own samples so the majority of the work I make is before playing, organizing all the material so I can play live without worrying and just concentrating on how to arrange and mix the samples through track mute and next sequence and give motion to them with effects on assigned qlinks on qlink page.
I also started to spread the tracks in different tracks so I don't have to use pad mute.
So at the end, when all is organized well, I mostly stay on track mute page (where I can also change sequence) and sometimes jump to qlink page for effects.
I really like that workflow because it actually matches my workflow.

You're right. It has to be used in simple ways. Now I use the MPC for creating hip-hop instru tracks with external samples (even if the timestretch algo is awful), or just learning finger drumming. It's funny. At the beginning, I bought it for triggering percussions sequences synced with Ableton Live, but I quickly realised that it has to be very simple patterns (or the user has to be very patient). I compose faster on the DAW than the MPC. I soon had the feeling that the machine was powerful but lacked things on each of its features (browser, song mode, LFOs, grid editing, MIDI implementation, sampler, looper, timestretch algo, old-age mixer, etc.). Today, the frustration is attenuated, the things are separated: the MPC for performing hip-hop percussion patterns and the DAW for the rest.
By TheDoctor Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:33 pm
I use a good number of multisample keygroup with 4 octave range and 3 layers without problems.
People who want "bigger" multisample miss the fact that everything get converted at 32bit floating point so it really doesn't matter if your file is 16bit or 32bit, it all get converted to the same size and I highly doubt disk streaming will be used for keygroup, I think is reasonable to have disk streaming for audio track and use the cpu to achieve better performance elsewhere:better modulation for drum/key program, warp, xy fx, possibly a mixer and arranger like Force,maybe better automation curve.

I already submitted the idea and maybe somebody with more knowledge can explain how hard is to be able to change the bith depth of a project? Simply using 24bit instead of 32bit give us additional 30ish mins of stereo sample, I'm following the 53mins calculation of MPC Tutor. I don't even run Ableton at 32bit. 1h 30 min of stereo sample is a lot and if they implement disk streaming everybody will be happy.
By Yorgos Arabatzis Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:49 pm
Everything that people mentioned here plus the wonderful opportunity to use an MPC as a DJ mixing machine on steroids...Sick!
In fact as a professional DJ the first project i created when i got Live was a DJ template and i was kinda surprised when i discovered i couldn’t stream audio from a 2017 machine.
The DJ template is ready since day 1 and waiting for Disk Streaming to take it to the next level.Insanely creative and fun but it was limited due to the number of tracks i could load..Maybe I’ll upgrade the 500GB SSD i’ve installed to a 1 or 2TB drive once Disk Streaming drops and ditch my MacBook Pro for my DJ sessions :-D
Also AKAI hits another big market with this move ;-)
Last edited by Yorgos Arabatzis on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By TheDoctor Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:58 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:^ For a person, who's not a MPC USER. You sure know lots about the MPC. How are you using these Keygroups when you're not a user yet of the MPC? :lol: :lol:

Ehm? That's from another user called morbank, I just replied, have a life dude!
Imagine how big of a loser you have to be to remember every users and check what they do and the end you report a post I didn't make it. Jesus how much you don't like me? Honestly F U C K OFF! I'm out of this forum, say thank to Charles Radolph to be the usual loser forum user, f u c k a pussy sometimes and have a **** life. Just to let you know the MPC X you have make music it's not a computer to find bugs or ask features just because they're missing. I imagine you in your 40/50ish full of outboard gear, the classic guy who knows so much because he's old and he didn't do music so he can learn everthing and acting bossy with youngest. Lucky you we're not in real life, someone will get hurt.Bye loser.
By Unreallystic Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:25 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:4 layers 88 samples.... man sounds like something that should be run from a computer. I hear you and am a “standalone” type dude but at some point we need to have realistic expectations and not moan when we don’t get exactly what we want

I hear you, but the complaints weren't immediate, I don't think it was unrealistic expectations - more so limits that you wouldn't expect, or are frustrated when you meet.

if anything...

It shows how much people love the devices, we can do this and that and this and those whenever, we LOVE this playground, but we also know that its not that big, but the land around it is CHEAP, DS would be like adding another level to the playground, not as efficient as just making the playground bigger, but its a possible better use of the land we have *now*. I'm sure if you polled power users with the Live, there is actually little about the Live/X they would change at its base, it would be adding more power to take further advantage of the tools we have...and fixing some *glaring* issues.
-Unreall
Bymember04959388 Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:59 pm
TheDoctor wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:^ For a person, who's not a MPC USER. You sure know lots about the MPC. How are you using these Keygroups when you're not a user yet of the MPC? :lol: :lol:

Ehm? That's from another user called morbank, I just replied, have a life dude!
Imagine how big of a loser you have to be to remember every users and check what they do and the end you report a post I didn't make it. Jesus how much you don't like me? Honestly F U C K OFF! I'm out of this forum, say thank to Charles Radolph to be the usual loser forum user, f u c k a pussy sometimes and have a **** life. Just to let you know the MPC X you have make music it's not a computer to find bugs or ask features just because they're missing. I imagine you in your 40/50ish full of outboard gear, the classic guy who knows so much because he's old and he didn't do music so he can learn everthing and acting bossy with youngest. Lucky you we're not in real life, someone will get hurt.Bye loser.

Stay here and laugh about it.
It's just comedy.
Don't be se serious, half is good.
Half serious half comedy.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:34 pm
Frisbi wrote:Ehm? That's from another user called morbank, I just replied, have a life dude!

He went from 0 to 100, pretty fast. Sorry OP, seems like another fake account down. :lol: Nevertheless, this disk streaming conversation is very interesting. Everyone is making great points.
Bymember04959388 Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:32 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Frisbi wrote:Ehm? That's from another user called morbank, I just replied, have a life dude!

He went from 0 to 100, pretty fast. Sorry OP, seems like another fake account down. :lol: Nevertheless, this disk streaming conversation is very interesting. Everyone is making great points.

Soon it's gonna start with multimidi.
Mpc mantra.