MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Lex303 Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:06 pm
Hi there,

I'm new with MPC, sorry for the noob questions.

How can I safely eject the SD card without to shut down the MPC One?
Is there a way to transfer samples via Ethernet to the SD card?

Thanks,
Lex303
By EnochLight Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:17 pm
Lex303 wrote:Hi there,

I'm new with MPC, sorry for the noob questions.

How can I safely eject the SD card without to shut down the MPC One?
Is there a way to transfer samples via Ethernet to the SD card?

Thanks,
Lex303

First of all, no matter what attached storage you're using - either SD Card, USB stick, or attached USB drive - you need to "eject" the storage from your MPC in the browser before removing them. To do so, go to your browser and select "Places" on the upper left. You'll get a list of all of your attached storage devices. Notice to the right of each attached storage device, you'll see a small "Eject" icon, that looks like the photo I've attached. Hit that. You'll be asked, "Are you sure you want to eject this drive?" Select "Eject" in the lower right. It will now disappear in your browser as an attached device, and it is safe to remove.

Failure to do this WILL result in a corrupted storage device, and you WILL lose projects, samples, and anything else stored on the device.

Pro tip: if you insert it into your computer to transfer data, make sure you eject it from your computer before removing it as well.

By DokBrown Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:54 pm
I didn’t realize you could eject while powered up. I was turning mine off everytime . . . .
By bitermc Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:17 am
NearTao wrote:If the MPC is off, then the drive is not mounted into the system.

You can safely remove a drive from the MPC when it is turned off.

Absolutely true, but I would say there's only one exception: if the MPC didn't properly shut down -I.E: after a power cut- then the card was probably not correctly unmounted. Turning the unit on and off again, or ejecting the card after turning it on, would solve the potential problem.
By NearTao Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:48 am
bitermc wrote:
NearTao wrote:If the MPC is off, then the drive is not mounted into the system.

You can safely remove a drive from the MPC when it is turned off.

Absolutely true, but I would say there's only one exception: if the MPC didn't properly shut down -I.E: after a power cut- then the card was probably not correctly unmounted. Turning the unit on and off again, or ejecting the card after turning it on, would solve the potential problem.

I'm not sure why you would think this to be true, and while it may be true in other specific devices that retain memory states or have non volatile cache, for this specific case of the MPC it is absolutely not true. The MPC has volatile memory (ie, once it is powered off it is effectively in a random state), and it does not have a write cache that would allow it to continue running writes to the storage after system recovery. Without either of these, there is no magic other than a system boot running a disk check or other data recovery tasks to try to repair/recover the improperly unmounted drive.

If the power has been cut to the MPC, the device has already been improperly unmounted. Turning the MPC on and off again is not directly going to fix any possible problems that sudden power loss of your device may cause.

Once your MPC is turned off, it is as safe as possible to remove the drive.
By bitermc Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:44 pm
NearTao wrote:If the power has been cut to the MPC, the device has already been improperly unmounted. Turning the MPC on and off again is not directly going to fix any possible problems that sudden power loss of your device may cause.

Once your MPC is turned off, it is as safe as possible to remove the drive.

If it behaves like any other modern Linux computers, turning it on again makes the system detect the drives that were not clearly unmounted and do a quick scan and fix for any potential problems. Turning it off again makes the system properly unmount the card (same as ejecting it).
By Frairf Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:33 pm
Hello everyone,

My SD card isn't ejecting from my MPC one despite my going through the proper motions of hitting the eject icon and selecting eject. Any advice on how to proceed safely or what I'm missing?

Thanks