MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By bees80 Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:06 am
Also.. the manual clearly states this:

Important: When creating a song, the program used by each track in the song’s first sequence will be used by all
subsequent tracks. In other words, all identically numbered tracks (across sequences) will use the program used by
the first sequence in the song—regardless of what programs each track uses while not in Song Mode.
For example, if you create a project in this way…:
• Track 1 of Sequence 1 uses a drum program.
• Track 1 of Sequence 2 uses a keygroup program.
• A song uses Sequence 1 as its first sequence and then uses Sequence 2 any time after it.
…then, in that song, Track 1 in Sequence 2 will use the same drum program as Track 1, Sequence 1.
Because of this, we recommend trying to be consistent while creating tracks in sequences that you intend to use in a
single song. Remember that you can copy one track to another if you ever need to reorder the tracks of a sequence
(see Modes > Main Mode > Track Section to learn about this).
By wavejockey Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:42 pm
Lampdog wrote:If it’s an actual bug I understand, it should be addressed and corrected.

When a song (several sequences) gets converted to seq then what will be the track assignment?
It makes sense that the very first seq in the song chain be used as a model for track assignments when converted.

It’s been that way for several hardware MPC’s past and it’s ALWAYS tripped up peeps who don’t pay attention to track assignments.

still, for me it is evenly logic that a song who plays different sequences one after the other (correctly) can be transfered to a new sequence with all program (/track) data attached and re-played correctly after transfer
-should be just a matter of incorporating the correct parameters in the right spot

btw, the fact that you cannot copy a song to a new one i find an even bigger ommision
By bees80 Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:37 pm
wavejockey wrote:
btw, the fact that you cannot copy a song to a new one i find an even bigger ommision

How do you mean this? Because you can use the converted seq from the song, in a new sequence. or duplicate that sequence created from a song to a new sequence?
By Guyi1 Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:51 pm
bees80 wrote:Also.. the manual clearly states this:

Important: When creating a song, the program used by each track in the song’s first sequence will be used by all
subsequent tracks. In other words, all identically numbered tracks (across sequences) will use the program used by
the first sequence in the song—regardless of what programs each track uses while not in Song Mode.
For example, if you create a project in this way…:
• Track 1 of Sequence 1 uses a drum program.
• Track 1 of Sequence 2 uses a keygroup program.
• A song uses Sequence 1 as its first sequence and then uses Sequence 2 any time after it.
…then, in that song, Track 1 in Sequence 2 will use the same drum program as Track 1, Sequence 1.
Because of this, we recommend trying to be consistent while creating tracks in sequences that you intend to use in a
single song. Remember that you can copy one track to another if you ever need to reorder the tracks of a sequence
(see Modes > Main Mode > Track Section to learn about this).

I think it would be a good idea not to add more tracks than those in sequence 1, if the MPC works this way. I mean, from now on, in Sequence 1 I will put new tracks and even if they are blank, and when I need to use a new instrument (e.g. guitar), I will put it in Sequence 1 first.
However, this shouldn't happen. It's not a comfortable way to work
By bees80 Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:49 pm
you are interpretating it totally wrong.

You CAN add instruments in other sequences, just make sure they don't overlap with other sequences... So for instance

Seq 1:
Track 1: Kick
Track 2: Snare
Track 3: hats

Seq 2
Track 1: DO NOT PUT A NEW INSTRUMENT ON TRACK 1, 2 or 3 BECAUSE THEY ARE ALREADY USED FOR THE KICK, SNARE AND HIHAT

Instead, put a new instrument on track 4.

Now go on and make some music. And if you don't like it just buy an octatrack, a digitakt, ableton live, machine. Whatever!
By Lampdog Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:39 pm
bees80 wrote:you are interpretating it totally wrong.

I think so too.

Every instrument gets it’s own track.....
By wavejockey Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:50 am
bees80 wrote:
wavejockey wrote:

How do you mean this? Because you can use the converted seq from the song, in a new sequence. or duplicate that sequence created from a song to a new sequence?

no ; you cannot copy a song to another instance/song to make another try

let's say you have song1 (verse, chorus, verse, bridge, chorus) and want to copy that song to song 2 (to try out verse, bridge, chorus, verse, chorus) you'll need to enter it all again in song 2
By bees80 Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:17 am
Ah yeah, i see what you mean, yes that would require a bit of extra time.. But how much? i recon maybe 10 minutes?

But, It would be indeed (in my pov) not a big extra feature to make a duplicate song function.