MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By 4Renzic Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:07 pm
How do yall deal with the low memory in standalone on the Live?

Can only get 2 programs from the F9 pack before I get the low memory :Sigh: .

I like multiple programs!
By Buzzard Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:11 pm
Are you plugged in or battery powered? The only time I was low on memory was when I'm on battery.
By NearTao Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:29 pm
Battery power has nothing to do with it. If you're getting low memory you've loaded too much stuff.

I don't have F9, so cannot compare to what you're experiencing exactly, but it sounds like you're loading some large key groups and have exhausted the available ram. You'll want to check the computer chip setting and see what it reports your usage as.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, a common technique here is to record the tracks using these large key groups to a loop or audio track... and then unload the program and remove "unused samples". This'll let you keep your sound so you can load something else up, but if you want to make changes you'll need to reload the program(s) again.

Yeah it can be a bit of a headache from time to time, but if you take good notes it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Depending on your purposes, you might also be able to just autosample your own key groups from the f9 sets that use less memory... so take a sample every 6-8 semitones instead of every semitone for example. Or if the key groups have notes that play for 30 seconds, and you only need them to play out for 3-6 seconds, then auto sample them to only play for 6 seconds.

Just trying to give a few things you can think about to work around this.

Good luck!
By 40Beatz Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:32 pm
You have too many Projects/Samples loaded on your Internal Drive. Clean up your Internal Drive. Save what you can to an SD/HDD/USB Drive etc, and Delete those files from the Internal Drive
By MPC-Tutor Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:58 pm
This is not related to the space on your internal drive, you are just loading too much into RAM. Not used the F9 expansion so cannot comment directly, but most developers seem to be releasing completely un-optimised keygroup programs these days, lazy programming I'm afraid and I've yet to see any third party instrument expansions using sample looping and single cycle waveforms.

Oh hang on, most of mine do.... :)

https://www.mpc-samples.com/section.php ... xpansions/
By NearTao Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:12 pm
I'm sad seeing so many key groups and chops that don't even discard the start/end points within a reasonable amount of effort. I get it... we've got "tons" of memory these days, but seeing a kick with 5-10 seconds of silence on the tail is maddening... it wastes memory and polyphony.
By Tabletop Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:45 pm
NearTao wrote:I'm sad seeing so many key groups and chops that don't even discard the start/end points within a reasonable amount of effort. I get it... we've got "tons" of memory these days, but seeing a kick with 5-10 seconds of silence on the tail is maddening... it wastes memory and polyphony.

Serious question: How does it take up polyphony? 128 note polyphony I thought?
By NearTao Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:28 pm
So if you have a sample such as a hat, that is maybe a quarter second for the sound, and a minute of silence... when you play this in ONE SHOT mode, the MPC will play the full sample time even if it is mostly silence. So this might not sound bad... but if you've got a high hat playing on 16th notes, and the sample is stereo, you're consuming 32 notes of polyphony each time you play through the high hat pattern, if it loops, you're going to be in trouble even faster.

Now... you're not likely to hear this, as the MPC will intelligently (usually) drop notes, but you can absolutely simulate this at home and see how this can become problematic if you wanted to try and simulate something that has unusually long samples.
By Lampdog Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:04 pm
Use stereo when you don’t need it, make samples mono if there is no stereo movement/imaging.
A mono sample + stereo fx = stereo sample.
A stereo sample + mono effects = stereo sample.

High quality samples and their sizes.

Chop what you need, discard the rest.

Purge unused samples and programs.

Quit with the long ass 1-2 minute samples. Stahp it.
By Tabletop Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:52 pm
NearTao wrote:So if you have a sample such as a hat, that is maybe a quarter second for the sound, and a minute of silence... when you play this in ONE SHOT mode, the MPC will play the full sample time even if it is mostly silence. So this might not sound bad... but if you've got a high hat playing on 16th notes, and the sample is stereo, you're consuming 32 notes of polyphony each time you play through the high hat pattern, if it loops, you're going to be in trouble even faster.

Now... you're not likely to hear this, as the MPC will intelligently (usually) drop notes, but you can absolutely simulate this at home and see how this can become problematic if you wanted to try and simulate something that has unusually long samples.

Yeah wouldn't you just trim that minute off??
By NearTao Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:16 pm
Sure, it was an exaggeration for explanation purposes.

There are still a lot of sample packs that waste plenty of sample time because they are trimmed poorly if at all.
By 4Renzic Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:53 am
Thanks guys.

Gonna try to use the mpc software instead of reaper.

Lampdog, no 2 minute samples over here :lol:
By Lampdog Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:54 am
:-D