MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Peaks Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:24 pm
Hey folks,
I'm new to the mpc workflow & having a blast with my mpc one, really like that device! Anyway, I'm having a questions using the qlink knobs.
Is it possible to assign an effect to them (let's say a reverb or pitch) and use it (for an individual step and/or all steps of a sample) while creating a drum pattern with the step sequencer? I'm using mostly old drum machine samples like the 909 and especially changing the sample pitch is curtial for my type of music :)
Cheers
By bees80 Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:55 am
Yes it is possible.

1. First set the effect. For instance a delay on your snare
2. Go to step edit, select the pad where this snare is on
3. Now on the left top in step edit, you see a button called: parameter. Currently it's selected on velocity.
4. Double tap on that. Select Add New. Select Pad: (Your pad number)>
5. Then you will see the delay effect there on the insert you have chosen. Choose the effect and then the parameter (for most effects i think the dry/wet is the most suitable, but you can go crazy here).

Have fun! Actually good suggestion, to check i made a really short delay on a 808 snare and then automate it. You can really get a robotic/metallic sounding snares with this.
Last edited by bees80 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
By bees80 Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:58 am
Also have a look in the manual on page 382

https://www.akaipro.com/amfile/file/dow ... product/6/

To add a step automation parameter:
1. Open the Step Sequencer by doing either of the following:
• Press Menu, and then tap Step Sequencer.
• Press Step Seq (MPC X).
2. By default, the Parameter field of the Step Sequencer displays Velocity for MIDI programs and PRG: Volume
for audio programs. Double-tap this field to open the drop-down menu.
3. In the menu that appears, tap Add New to add an automation parameter. You can choose from a variety of
parameters depending on the type of program, insert effects added and other options.
To edit step automation, do any of the following:
• Tap and drag your finger in the step area to freely draw step values.
• Press and hold the Q-Link button, and then tap Screen to set the Q-Link knobs to Screen Mode. While viewing
the step sequencer, you can use the Q-Link knobs for tactile control of each step's automation value, emulating
traditional knob-based step sequencers. While it is being adjusted, the current automation value will be shown
next to the Parameter field, as well as in the display strip above the knobs (MPC X only).
For MPC Live and MPC Touch, use Bank 1 of the knobs to control Steps 1–4, Bank 2 to control Steps 5–8,
Bank 3 to control Steps 9–12 and Bank 2 to control Steps 13–16.
• Press and hold Shift and tap Clear to clear all automation for the selected parameter in the selected sequence.
• Press and hold Shift and tap Clear Bar to clear all automation for the selected parameter in the current bar of
the selected sequence.
• Use the Nudge < and > buttons to shift the current automation parameter to the left or right at the current Timing
Correct value.
• Use the slider on the right edge of the screen to increase or decrease the parameter values of all automation
steps in the visible time range.
• Tap Presets and use the buttons to apply the presets to the step automation (See Operation > Modes > Step
Sequencer for more information).
Note: When editing step automation, if a step is not activated, a darkened step bar will indicate the current
parameter value at that step, based on the last active step.