MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:51 am
When not using a mixer my sampling chain is.

Stanton GrooveMaster V3 > Technic 1200 MKII > Radial J33 Phono Preamp > Two 6" XLR to 1/4 Mogami Cables.

When using a mixer:

Stanton GrooveMaster V3 > Technic 1200 MKII > Rane MP2015 > Two 6" XLR to 1/4 Mogami Cables.

OR

Stanton GrooveMaster V3 > Technic 1200 MKII > Vestax 05 PRO III > Two 6" XLR to 1/4 Mogami Cables.
By Danoc Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:45 am
Very nice bro. I had the S950 way back. Got rid it only kept it for 2 months. :WTF: :Sigh:

Noise floor l have learned if l wanted to eliminate it completely l had to go ITB. Its funny l went against computer software to stay all hardware. Then l went hybrid but still had connections that had hum noise in my tracks. At that time l wasn't knowledgeable about reducing noise lije l am today. So the instruments l have in the computer is what l get with no noise floor. I enjoy the ITB experience.

Fre$hBreath wrote:This is my sampling chain.

All modified Behringer T-Series processors with Marinair Transformers, Burr-Brown OpAmps, and Mullard Tubes...

No matter what sampler I'm using, I have a big, warm sound...
By Fre$hBreath Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:26 am
Danoc wrote:Very nice bro. I had the S950 way back. Got rid it only kept it for 2 months. :WTF: :Sigh:

Noise floor l have learned if l wanted to eliminate it completely l had to go ITB. Its funny l went against computer software to stay all hardware. Then l went hybrid but still had connections that had hum noise in my tracks. At that time l wasn't knowledgeable about reducing noise lije l am today. So the instruments l have in the computer is what l get with no noise floor. I enjoy the ITB experience.

Fre$hBreath wrote:This is my sampling chain.

All modified Behringer T-Series processors with Marinair Transformers, Burr-Brown OpAmps, and Mullard Tubes...

I love software and there's a great advantage to it, but I need to have that physical element to making music for my own projects. Inphonik has a plugin that sounds very close to my S900, but there are things about the S900 that's just special to me, especially when it comes to drums. It's the exact same audio engine as the MPC-60 but with deeper editing features.
NearTao wrote:I can feel the tubes humming from over here :D

Sweet setup!

Thanks!
By CharlesRandolph Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:07 pm
Danoc wrote:Very nice bro. I had the S950 way back. Got rid it only kept it for 2 months. :WTF: :Sigh:

In the Digital world the goal is lower noise floor and in Analog the goal is more head room, while reducing the noise floor. This is where knowing how to track instruments comes into play. Unfortunately this skill is become rare, because of digital audio samples.

They've taken the 90% of the work away. That's why we used to rip or digitally sample breaks from CD. 90% All the work was already done, all we had to do chop and play. Why process, drums or sounds, that was already mixed and mastered. :lol:

Digital samples, is really what hurt the studio business.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:27 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:
This is my sampling chain.

I like the s900, but I'm going to send you some zip ties. Your lack of cable management, has my OCD senses tingling. :lol:
By NearTao Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:44 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:I like the s900, but I'm going to send you some zip ties. Your lack of cable management, has my OCD senses tingling. :lol:

hah... it does look like some sort of nest might be starting back there.
By Fre$hBreath Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:43 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Fre$hBreath wrote:
This is my sampling chain.

I like the s900, but I'm going to send you some zip ties. Your lack of cable management, has my OCD senses tingling. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By CharlesRandolph Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:15 pm
NearTao wrote:hah... it does look like some sort of next might be starting back there.

That's only what we see, this is what it looks like.

By richie Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:42 pm
Part of the warm sound comes from the birds nest of wires.

Zip ties end up causing a recessed sound which requires a lot of outboard gear to overcome.