MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By KaoticShock Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:24 am
EnochLight wrote:
KaoticShock wrote:Thanks for the reply, Enoch! I definitely understand the closed, proprietary nature of AKAI, especially given that thier partners AIR at InMusic developed most of the FX and Virtual instrument plugins. My question for you is this, do you think that the addition of the Odyssey plugin by WayOutWare will pave the way for more third party plugins? or do you think it was just a fluke given they happened to have the code for a ARP Odyssey emulation and the developers just adapted it to the proprietary Linux based MPC Firmware? Also, I'm still under the impression that we might get the full AIR suite of virtual instruments in standalone mode someday, since the Touch UI already works for 7 of them in Controller mode. Thoughts?

As mentioned already, WayOutWare was bought by M-Audio (which InMusic owns, so Akai gets access to their IP). So no, I don't believe any floodgates have been opened. You'll likely see only Air Music, Akai or other proprietary plugins/software that is owned by InMusic appear on MPC and/or Force.

Well, looks like it was definitely a fluke that M-audio Purchased WayOutWare, but based on your assumptions, there's definitely hope for Xpand, Hybrid, and the rest of the AIR Virtual Instruments to make thier way into the MPC Standalone Firmware. The 7 plugins with Touch UI's in Controller mode should definitely be in standalone, there's no excuse AKAI/AIR/InMusic! :lol: :lol:
By jabberwalky Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:44 am
I've found that, although simplistic, you can get really far with Hype synth and just starting with the Init patch "FM init". You get 1 operator/1 modulator and an envelope. If you want something like a Dx7, just stack 6 of these and there you are. The mod decay setting can easily get snappy but is hardwired to velocity.
By KaoticShock Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:59 pm
Straker wrote:@ Kaoticshock

There is an excuse actually.
Will Mpc cpu handle more complex Air synths like the ones you mentioned?
Keep in mind that even a basic Tubesynth has a very poor 4 note polyphony.

lol Keep in mind that Hype has 8 note Polyphony (I use 9th chords all the time, so I checked)! And Built-FX, and It's light on the CPU (I use 2-3 instances per project with no issues). Xpand was developed by AIR (The same company that developed all the MPC plugins except for WayOutWare and Xpand doesn't require that much RAM or CPU. Having 2400 presets with Built-In FX is definitely necessary for the MPC and Hype was close, but Xpand makes perfect sense, especially because the Touch UI already works in Controller Mode.
By 83dude Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:57 pm
KaoticShock wrote:lol Keep in mind that Hype has 8 note Polyphony (I use 9th chords all the time, so I checked)!

Is that a joke or a misconception?
:Sigh:
By jabberwalky Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:27 am
KaoticShock wrote:
jabberwalky wrote:I made a video about using the Hype synth as a pseudo FM sound generator. You can check it out if you'd like

Awesome! I did some sound design with the Sample Init but I haven't tried the FM Init yet!

ooo I haven't tried the "sample Init" yet, sounds intriguing.
By 83dude Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:17 am
KaoticShock wrote:Do you even understand what a 9th chord is? :Sigh: :roll:

I do, five notes in layered thirds. I see my mistake there and wondered how you‘d play it with eight notes. Sorry for that.
:Sigh: myself. :)
By KaoticShock Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:36 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:The Hype plugin on my MPC One seems to have FIVE voices of polyphony, at least the piano sounds. If you can demonstrate eight simultaneous notes, please show.

I just opened up the "Basic Piano" patch on Hype and I was able to play a 13th chord and doubled the root with no issues. I figured most MPC users didn't understand or use jazz harmony, which is why most people wouldn't even understand or use 8 voices of Polyphony anyway. Hype DEFINITELY has 8 voices of polyphony, and when I was playing notes the CPU was at 13%. Akai and InMusic could definitely put Xpand In standalone mode, there is no excuse because Hype is more modern and more powerful and works perfectly fine. Looks like MPC users obviously need to learn some music theory! (Like the definition of polyphony and what a 9th chord is)
By Straker Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:34 pm
KaoticShock wrote:
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:The Hype plugin on my MPC One seems to have FIVE voices of polyphony, at least the piano sounds. If you can demonstrate eight simultaneous notes, please show.

I just opened up the "Basic Piano" patch on Hype and I was able to play a 13th chord and doubled the root with no issues. I figured most MPC users didn't understand or use jazz harmony, which is why most people wouldn't even understand or use 8 voices of Polyphony anyway. Hype DEFINITELY has 8 voices of polyphony, and when I was playing notes the CPU was at 13%. Akai and InMusic could definitely put Xpand In standalone mode, there is no excuse because Hype is more modern and more powerful and works perfectly fine. Looks like MPC users obviously need to learn some music theory! (Like the definition of polyphony and what a 9th chord is)

Nope.
Hype polyphony depends on the preset you use, oscillators and so on.
It doesn't have a fixed polyphony.