MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By KRXWNVXK Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:47 am
That's dope. I was a bit underwhelmed about the plugins that came with the update. I would love to take my mpc anywhere I go but the plugins don't give me too much will to want to use much of those plugins. So I'll be mostly sampling (standalone) basically until that update. Can't wait to hear it.
By KaoticShock Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:04 pm
Well here we are August 2021 and we got 4 out of the 8 teased plugins. So far so good! Solina, MelloTron, Hype and the Drum Synth are all welcomed additions to the MPC Firmware IMHO. I'm still hoping for Xpand at some point, and Ive submitted a direct feature request to Akai. I'm still curious if we get any of the other plugins that were leaked, like that FMX....... The MPC Still needs a serious synth with a mod matrix and multiple LFO waveforms for it to really shine.
By Straker Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:46 pm
Drum Synth, Electric Piano, FMX, FMiniSynth, Keyboards, Mellotron, Organ, Piano, Pop Brass+Woods, Solina, and Strings.

So next is an FM synth, maybe Organ and Piano?
How about FMinisynth and Keyboards?
And string is not the same as Solina?
By EnochLight Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:14 am
Louis St. wrote:i just came to say it's really cool to see year old speculation actually manifest itself....

AKAI delivered

Right??! Sort of surprised that many of these came to fruition finally, and very happy they did. :smoker: :)

jabberwalky wrote:I've only had the thing for a month, but I'll put in my vote for an FM8 style plugin as well. If anyone knows where to begin to make your own plugins on this platform, I'd also be interested in that.

Welcome aboard! Yes - I think most of us would LOVE an actual FM synth plugin added (though I'm not holding my breath). Anyway, there is absolutely NO WAY to make your own plugins on MPC/Force, as far as I know. I'm afraid that Akai/Air Software hold the reigns to that, my friend. It's a closed ecosystem. :worthy:
By KaoticShock Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:35 am
Thanks for the reply, Enoch! I definitely understand the closed, proprietary nature of AKAI, especially given that thier partners AIR at InMusic developed most of the FX and Virtual instrument plugins. My question for you is this, do you think that the addition of the Odyssey plugin by WayOutWare will pave the way for more third party plugins? or do you think it was just a fluke given they happened to have the code for a ARP Odyssey emulation and the developers just adapted it to the proprietary Linux based MPC Firmware? Also, I'm still under the impression that we might get the full AIR suite of virtual instruments in standalone mode someday, since the Touch UI already works for 7 of them in Controller mode. Thoughts?
By NearTao Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:27 am
the existence of the WayOutWare plugin indicates that Akai is at least talking to 3rd party developers. Certainly they have some kind of licensing agreement. My suspicion is that it'd be a way to test the waters with something that is low cost for Akai and adds value to the MPC user base. So it seems possible, and probably depending on how it goes may show Akai some new opportunities.
By Straker Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:42 am
NearTao wrote:the existence of the WayOutWare plugin indicates that Akai is at least talking to 3rd party developers. Certainly they have some kind of licensing agreement. My suspicion is that it'd be a way to test the waters with something that is low cost for Akai and adds value to the MPC user base. So it seems possible, and probably depending on how it goes may show Akai some new opportunities.

Wayoutware has been bought by Maudio which belongs to Inmusic as Akai.
So at the end all inside the family.
It would be great if Akai opens up to 3d party plugins though.
By EnochLight Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:56 pm
KaoticShock wrote:Thanks for the reply, Enoch! I definitely understand the closed, proprietary nature of AKAI, especially given that thier partners AIR at InMusic developed most of the FX and Virtual instrument plugins. My question for you is this, do you think that the addition of the Odyssey plugin by WayOutWare will pave the way for more third party plugins? or do you think it was just a fluke given they happened to have the code for a ARP Odyssey emulation and the developers just adapted it to the proprietary Linux based MPC Firmware? Also, I'm still under the impression that we might get the full AIR suite of virtual instruments in standalone mode someday, since the Touch UI already works for 7 of them in Controller mode. Thoughts?

As mentioned already, WayOutWare was bought by M-Audio (which InMusic owns, so Akai gets access to their IP). So no, I don't believe any floodgates have been opened. You'll likely see only Air Music, Akai or other proprietary plugins/software that is owned by InMusic appear on MPC and/or Force.