MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By wickedwire Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:10 pm
Thank you so much for releasing the plugins from Force onto the MPC platform!
I lost track of making tracks half a year ago or so and things are so dead around here I can´t even describe it, but hopefully something substantial comes this way again so I can have some use of the plugins too.
Cheers.
By EnochLight Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:08 am
KaoticShock wrote:Hype definitely has Polyphony options in the setup tab, so any patch you choose can be monophonic or polyphonic up to 8 voices.

This is not correct in standalone mode. Hype's polyphony varies depending on the patch you choose. Many patches top out at 4-6 voices.
By KaoticShock Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:50 pm
[/img]
EnochLight wrote:
KaoticShock wrote:Hype definitely has Polyphony options in the setup tab, so any patch you choose can be monophonic or polyphonic up to 8 voices.

This is not correct in standalone mode. Hype's polyphony varies depending on the patch you choose. Many patches top out at 4-6 voices.

Which patches? I only tried the Basic Piano patch, I didn't test the polyphony of any others
By EnochLight Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:53 pm
KaoticShock wrote:Which patches? I only tried the Basic Piano patch, I didn't test the polyphony of any others

There's literally over 1500 presets in there - way too many to list, man. But for shits and giggles, try loading up any of the patches that use dual oscillators.
By KaoticShock Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:46 pm
Straker wrote:Mt. Kaoticshock, why are you so sure about 8 note polyphony if you only tried one patch?
Is it not better to listen what people tell you?

Why am I so sure about 8 note polyphony? Because I actually looked at the Setup Tab in the synth, where the polyphony settings were, unlike those who thought Hype had less than 8 not polyphony. Enoch, The "Basic Piano" Patch is just a Sampler Init using the Piano sample, no dual oscillators involved, so You're probably right about patches with dual oscillators reducing polyphony, but I didn't try any, I just assumed if it was 8 than it would be 8 for all patches that aren't monophonic.

Sorry if I don't just believe everything I read on the internet, especially because most people (and most MPC Users) don't even understand basic music theory, production techniques or music technology in general. I'm at work right now, but I'll try more patches when I get home. Anyway, the point is that the MPC can definitely use more powerful plugins with more polyphony than Tubesynth. And if you're really using 13th chords on Pad sounds with Hype, you can either split up the voices with 2 instances or just bounce one instance to audio and then bounce a second one with the rest of the voices. Hype has 8 voices of polyphony on some of the patches, so the MPC can handle Xpand in Standalone mode, along with Hybrid and more complex plugins. Point proven. Yall obviously have a lot to learn.
By Straker Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:50 pm
KaoticShock wrote:
Straker wrote:Mt. Kaoticshock, why are you so sure about 8 note polyphony if you only tried one patch?
Is it not better to listen what people tell you?

Why am I so sure about 8 note polyphony? Because I actually looked at the Setup Tab in the synth, where the polyphony settings were, unlike those who thought Hype had less than 8 not polyphony. Enoch, The "Basic Piano" Patch is just a Sampler Init using the Piano sample, no dual oscillators involved, so You're probably right about patches with dual oscillators reducing polyphony, but I didn't try any, I just assumed if it was 8 than it would be 8 for all patches that aren't monophonic.

Sorry if I don't just believe everything I read on the internet, especially because most people (and most MPC Users) don't even understand basic music theory, production techniques or music technology in general. I'm at work right now, but I'll try more patches when I get home. Anyway, the point is that the MPC can definitely use more powerful plugins with more polyphony than Tubesynth. And if you're really using 13th chords on Pad sounds with Hype, you can either split up the voices with 2 instances or just bounce one instance to audio and then bounce a second one with the rest of the voices. Hype has 8 voices of polyphony on some of the patches, so the MPC can handle Xpand in Standalone mode, along with Hybrid and more complex plugins. Point proven. Yall obviously have a lot to learn.

The fact that Hype has different polyphony according to the patch you use (or oscillators) is because there is not much cpu power to handle 8 polyphony for all patches.
That's also the reason why these Air plugins have not been implemented on standalone.
I think it's quite clear, otherwise we would already have those Air plugins on standalone.
I am sorry to say that but with this cpu some compromises are necessary, like the different polyphony on Hype and the 4 note polyphony on Tubesynth.
If a basic plugin like Tubesynth has 4 note polyphony, more complex synth architecture would have 2 note polyphony, I guess.
Or even one.
By KaoticShock Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:40 am
True there is not enough CPU power to handle 8 not polyphony for all patches, but I got 7 out of many and 6 out of most others. Some of the patches were single oscillator, some dual, so there's no direct correlation as to why some patches have more polyphony than others, just like the init patches can't actually reproduce the Presets. There's alot of disconnect between accessible parameters and what's "under the hood". You're probably right that we need more CPU power to run better plugins but the OP was about the leaked pics and so far 4 out of the 8 have shown up so I'm still optimistic that the FMX, Pop Brass+Winds and Keyboards will make it to the MPC Standalone mode, even if we don't get Xpand or the other AIR Virtual Instruments.
By Straker Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:13 pm
KaoticShock wrote:True there is not enough CPU power to handle 8 not polyphony for all patches, but I got 7 out of many and 6 out of most others. Some of the patches were single oscillator, some dual, so there's no direct correlation as to why some patches have more polyphony than others, just like the init patches can't actually reproduce the Presets. There's alot of disconnect between accessible parameters and what's "under the hood". You're probably right that we need more CPU power to run better plugins but the OP was about the leaked pics and so far 4 out of the 8 have shown up so I'm still optimistic that the FMX, Pop Brass+Winds and Keyboards will make it to the MPC Standalone mode, even if we don't get Xpand or the other AIR Virtual Instruments.

The reason why basic piano has 8 voice polyphony is because it's a single layer sampled piano (probably taken from Air Minigrand which is just great). No multisample, no dynamics, just a short single sample.
So it's very light to handle.
I think an FM synth could easily be implemented on Mpc and also a Rompler, older ones are very light to handle.
So that's very possible.
Xpand or other Air complex synths is much more difficult.
By KaoticShock Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:10 am
Straker wrote:
KaoticShock wrote:True there is not enough CPU power to handle 8 not polyphony for all patches, but I got 7 out of many and 6 out of most others. Some of the patches were single oscillator, some dual, so there's no direct correlation as to why some patches have more polyphony than others, just like the init patches can't actually reproduce the Presets. There's alot of disconnect between accessible parameters and what's "under the hood". You're probably right that we need more CPU power to run better plugins but the OP was about the leaked pics and so far 4 out of the 8 have shown up so I'm still optimistic that the FMX, Pop Brass+Winds and Keyboards will make it to the MPC Standalone mode, even if we don't get Xpand or the other AIR Virtual Instruments.

The reason why basic piano has 8 voice polyphony is because it's a single layer sampled piano (probably taken from Air Minigrand which is just great). No multisample, no dynamics, just a short single sample.
So it's very light to handle.
I think an FM synth could easily be implemented on Mpc and also a Rompler, older ones are very light to handle.
So that's very possible.
Xpand or other Air complex synths is much more difficult.

Isn't Xpand technically a Rompler? And Isn't it over a decade old, so It doesn't take much CPU Power? The system requirements on AIRs website say that it only needs 1GB of RAM and a dual core processor. I'm definitely hoping for more complex synths and plugins. We need something with a mod matrix and a rompler with General MIDI presets. Hype can do some decent Wobbles but it's nothing like Massive or FM8.
By Straker Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:10 pm
I agree we need a modulation matrix, and that could be easily done on program edit where we also need more LFO destinations.
I think that's one field where MPC could improve a lot without cpu or memory troubles.
I don't know about xpand but a rompler could be implemented and I would be happy.
At the moment Hype can be close enough to a Rompler though.
By KaoticShock Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:59 pm
Straker wrote:I agree we need a modulation matrix, and that could be easily done on program edit where we also need more LFO destinations.
I think that's one field where MPC could improve a lot without cpu or memory troubles.
I don't know about xpand but a rompler could be implemented and I would be happy.
At the moment Hype can be close enough to a Rompler though.

Mod Matrix + More LFOs/Destinations would be heavily welcomed. Also algorithms for choosing the order of oscillators would be easy to implement. I'm imagining something like Sylenth or Abletons Operator in the Program edit screen. Hype is pretty close to Xpand, but there are definitely unique features of Xpand that would add to the Overall MPC Experience (Splits/Layers, Built in-FX, ethnic sounds, Macros and General MIDI sounds) Hype is a rompler, but it has very limited editing options for blending oscillators and adjusting envelopes. I recently Auto-Sampled a ton of my favorite patches from Xpand, and The only thing I feel like I'm missing is the ability to edit parameters of the sounds (editing keygroup paramters is annoying) and built-in FX so I'm not using up all the Inserts on every Program.