MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By DokBrown Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:15 pm
I do not understand this Ios APP trend.
Either make it for PC & MAC&ios, or don’t waste your time.
Software that only works on 1 platform is toyish . . . . .

Furthermore, my son’s ipad 2 has weak audio outputs. Why would I want the magic that is a MOOG synth coming out thru cheap IPAD outs.

MIKE DEAN Exhibit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTFl6z8u8k0
By Crumb$ Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:32 pm
...erm...maybe because you lost your job in March and you can't afford a Moog...?

...who I am kidding, I could never afford a Moog.
Last edited by Crumb$ on Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Danoc Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:17 pm
I do understand where you're coming from.

DokBrown wrote:I do not understand this Ios APP trend.

Furthermore, my son’s ipad 2 has weak audio outputs. Why would I want the magic that is a MOOG synth coming out thru cheap IPAD outs.

MIKE DEAN Exhibit:
By CharlesRandolph Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:11 pm
DokBrown wrote:I do not understand this Ios APP trend.

MIKE DEAN Exhibit:

That does not make it toyish, it's easier to create for one platform. As far as the ipad 2 goes, you may need to update to a supported iPAD, get an audio interface. The app is works well and sounds good in my opinion. :nod:
By Crumb$ Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:27 pm
I've got it on a 2017 ipad... (only ios device i've had)

...there's two ways I'm seeing this work. My friend has a powered lightening to USB and he's got his MPK mini playing the app, using the 3.5mm headphone out.

I don't have that powered USB adaptor so I've got the ipad connected USB to Ableton, which is taking the midi and the audio. No need for the headphone out.

I don't know what you're talking about with the app trend, I just wanted to give people a heads up cos this is free for a while, and if anyone was looking at buying a Boog or a Moog model D this is a good way to learn about it...
Last edited by Crumb$ on Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By NearTao Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:56 pm
Some folks are down on iOS...

Personally free is free... if you've invested in iOS or iPadOS... it's a pretty great treat... and hell guys... if you've got a sampler you know the drill... sample a one shot and knock it out on the pads with a key group or 16 levels.

Some people out here acting like they never sampled off their grandma's turn table or from the car stereo. :D

Edit: and if they haven't, they should... grandma misses you and you need to run your car for 20 minutes a week even if you aren't driving around.
By DokBrown Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:53 pm
I’m NOT an analog synth collector
I do NOT own any vintage synths by dave smith or MOOG
That being said, I swear by the korg minilogue v1 & novation bass2. They are affordable & knock the socks off any VST/plugin that I have ever tried.
The minilogue for the sequencer & built-in delay
The BSII for the fine keys & sweet filters; run this thru the MPC AIR FX for analog/digital magic.

Ios APPS are cool [my favorite is sparkle by ARTURIA with the spark controller] but there is an experience/limitation that is analog gear. I never got it until I copped the BS2.

no menus
no updates
just knob turning & finger technique & my old PEAVEY KB4 AMP disturbing my neighbors . . . . . . .

if you are broke, a korg volca keys is not bad. It has a cool delay But the knobs suck & the filter is very limited
By Bezo Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:01 am
I grabbed this because it was free. Not sure I'll ever use it. But it reminds me why I hate the new iPads not having a headphone input.
By Bezo Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:19 am
Help me understand how this would work with just a Live & headphones, if at all. I forget if it's audio or MIDI, in or out that the Live can't do.

And this is making me think about the Live & iMPC Pro 2. I poked around for info on this combo a while back but didn't find out much, probably because no one uses it. I was hoping iMPC could be a portable substitute for the MPC software, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
By Crumb$ Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:30 am
Bezo wrote:how this would work with just a Live & headphones, if at all. I forget if it's audio or MIDI, in or out that the Live can't do.

It's a bit of a disappointment every time I have to remind myself. You can connect a keyboard to the Live via USB A (standard type) and the Live will accept the midi notes being played, but it won't accept clocking data, and it won't send clocking data. To get my Keystep's sequencer and arp to match up I have to use a proper midi cable. USB over midi would be a very welcome improvement.

I forgot all that for a moment and hoped I could plug my ipad in to the Live's standard USB port, but of course it doesn't support that. The most basic way I can think to use this app with the Live is audio out of the headphone jack (2017 ipad) and use the app keyboard or turn on the Arp and match the tempo. It's got a looper but it's tricky to get a perfect timed loop.

Buying the Lightning>USB camera adaptor (which is powered) would allow me to use the Keystep to play it which would be a massive improvement. My friend tried this the other day and easily mapped all the pots to his mpk mini.

Just using the standard lightning charger cable lets me sequence the app from Ableton and it's digital audio but I only just thought to try it with the MPC software, and it works great, setup the same as Ableton. I know thats not standalone but now I can auto-sample the life out of the bass patches and take that away on my Live. You can save your patches on the app.

Just learnt that if you put on finger on the woodwork while adjusting a pot, it allows finer adjustment.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:46 am
Bezo wrote:Help me understand how this would work with just a Live & headphones, if at all. I forget if it's audio or MIDI, in or out that the Live can't do.

And this is making me think about the Live & iMPC Pro 2. I poked around for info on this combo a while back but didn't find out much, probably because no one uses it. I was hoping iMPC could be a portable substitute for the MPC software, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

My chain: MIDI KEYBOARD > MPC > SSL 2+ Audio/MIDI Interface > HyperDrive 6-in-1 > iPAD PRO (2018)
With this setup, I'm using the iPAD PRO as an external sound module.
By Bezo Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:32 pm
@Crumb$ no headphone out on the 2018 iPads kills the simpler setup.

CharlesRandolph wrote:
Bezo wrote:Help me understand how this would work with just a Live & headphones, if at all. I forget if it's audio or MIDI, in or out that the Live can't do.

My chain: MIDI KEYBOARD > MPC > SSL 2+ Audio/MIDI Interface > HyperDrive 6-in-1 > iPAD PRO (2018)
With this setup, I'm using the iPAD PRO as an external sound module.

I wouldn't mind the HyperDrive, but needing a full blown interface defeats my purpose. Macbook Pro is not much more than the iPad & interface. Thanks though.