MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By EnochLight Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:48 pm
Paying royalties and properly licensing content is one of the biggest stumbling blocks to sampling. The U.S. Library of Congress just built a 100% royalty-free hip-hop sampling site. Maybe the golden age of sampling may return. Any MPC owners out there that might take advantage (read: we ALL should)!

https://www.musictech.net/news/library- ... itizen-dj/

In a bid to kickstart a new golden age of hip-hop sampling, the United States Library of Congress has launched a free online tool that allows access to its massive archive of royalty-free music and voice recordings.

Dubbed Citizen DJ, the tool gives you access to audio recordings from the library’s collection, dating back over a hundred years. Audio can be accessed via a colourful visual interface, and auditioned using an online sequencer accompanied by sounds of classic drum machines. You can then download the relevant samples individually or get them as sample packs containing thousands of clips.

The available audio encompasses soundtracks from early movies and public service announcements, classical recordings, spoken word and tracks from the Free Music Archive.

Project creator Brian Foo, a Library of Congress Innovator-in-Residence, was inspired by the sound collage aesthetic of golden age hip-hop records such as Fear of a Black Planet by Public Enemy. However, he notes that this style of hip-hop production has become prohibitively expensive in recent years because of rights issues.

Foo wishes to change that by making it simpler to discover and use public domain audio. In doing so, Foo hopes the next generation of hip-hop producers will be able to “invent new sounds, and connect listeners to materials, cultures, and sonic history that might otherwise be hidden from public ears.”

You can now try Citizen DJ, which is currently in beta. The tool will launch fully in Summer 2020.

Try out the beta here: http://citizendj.labs.loc.gov.s3-websit ... onaws.com/
By NearTao Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:52 pm
Just played around for about 10 minutes... great selection of drum patterns for those looking to learn there, and some really good demo chops and such. Excellent resource for sure. Already bookmarked for something to keep an eye on and see how this grows. Amazing that this exists, I'd be interested to see what is next for this project for sure.
By Danoc Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:40 am
:shock: Ooooh dam goodbye Splice :)

They even got the physical randomization joint. That is bananas. You scrub through sounds wow!
Akai should get with them. I wonder if they will make you pay a monthly fee? :roll:
By 40Beatz Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:44 pm
Nice!
By Lampdog Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:45 pm
I use this when sifting through sample library on computer.
Best free media player I’ve come across in years. Just letting yall know.

https://resonic.at/

By c-real Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:51 pm
Lampdog wrote:I use this when sifting through sample library on computer.
Best free media player I’ve come across in years. Just letting yall know.

https://resonic.at/

Best sample explorer/manager imho. Really fast and efficient workflow compared to any DAW media explorer or 3rd party app (sononym, loopcloud, adsr manager, atlas, xo, samplism).

I'm just waiting for a 1.0 version for a while before owning the Pro version. Is there any news about the project? Has the creator given up the development?
By EnochLight Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:03 pm
Danoc wrote:I wonder if they will make you pay a monthly fee? :roll:

Nope, never. It will remain 100% free. Think of the Library of Congress as something like the Great Library of Alexandria from antiquity, though access isn't controlled by the academic elite. It's open and available to everyone.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:09 pm
Danoc wrote::shock: Ooooh dam goodbye Splice :)

They even got the physical randomization joint. That is bananas. You scrub through sounds wow!
Akai should get with them. I wonder if they will make you pay a monthly fee? :roll:

This is a very good thing. But on the other hand, most things people want to sample aren't there. Call me when Blue Note, Motown, Stax, TSOP, Chess, Concord become available. :lol: