MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By marvelsferb7 Fri May 01, 2020 3:39 am
Hii,

I have a question about mpc x and its workflow.

Firstly I have to mention that I used to be a mpc2500 user for long time but the last 1 one year I decided to change to maschine 2 because of my projects. I don't wanna promote native or akai, I just want some opinions from those who use mpc x and maschine.

Guys I miss that punchy mpc sound for real. So, as long as akai created that X beast I'm not really sure if X can provide me a good workflow as standalone and as a controller with the software.

I don't create only rap beats or sampled beats. I really like to use synthesizers and stuff so I can create way more versatile projects like cinematic type music or remixes way different from the standard 4/4 beat.

So my question is. Will mpc x give me that kind of workflow? Because I read that it has only 8 audio recording tracks and as a standalone sometimes when you load samples and stuff it is overusing CPU and RAM. Also the last thing that bothers me is that ram cannot be changed if you want to have more space.

What's your opinions or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
By NearTao Fri May 01, 2020 11:43 am
The X in standalone has capacity for about an hour of sample time +/- if I remember correctly.

It can absolutely do what you're looking for...

If you know how to mix down tracks and how to manage memory a bit you'll be fine.

I think of the controller mode as a way to increase my CPU/RAM budget when I need to... so it's there when you need it, but stays out of your way otherwise.
By Tabletop Fri May 01, 2020 1:36 pm
I dont use maschine, but my musical partner has for years now & i'd say maschine excels at the type of music you described.
Could you do it with an X? Of course, but the workflow is better suited on maschine...
By bees80 Fri May 01, 2020 4:23 pm
I mean, the mpc is just one piece of gear. You determine your own workflow based upon what you can do with that piece of gear. I also believe that EVERY piece of gear you buy has it flaws and you can think of something how it can be better. But we don't live in a perfect world.

So i would suggest; Get to know the MPC X and what it all can do. Check youtube workflow video's, and check the manual (properly). If you have used the MPC 2500 it shouldn't be to hard to figure out.
By Unreallystic Fri May 01, 2020 5:16 pm
Tabletop wrote:I dont use maschine, but my musical partner has for years now & i'd say maschine excels at the type of music you described.
Could you do it with an X? Of course, but the workflow is better suited on maschine...

Aye...this. The MPC isn't really going to bring anything to the table that improves your workflow or sounds. If you got a few dollars around, but a MPC Touch, they are like what 200-300, and will give you the exact same workflow as the Live which is pretty parallel with the X (the X has slightly better navigation, but the workflow is pretty much the same).

If you aren't fond of the "sound", then maybe you should instead invest in some FX plugins to get the sounds closer to what you want (a lot of stuff is literally on sale now). I use Komplete as the my main VST source w/ a little Arturia collection; everything else is hardware. I am more than happy with what I got, if I am unhappy with the sound, I just tweak it during mixing.
- Unreall